PDA

View Full Version : Hey speaker wire experts !!

SEAWOLF97
07-18-2012, 05:38 PM
today I snagged two 25 foot runs of this speaker wire .... seemed interesting . I looked up nfo from the label that says
" OTR (QTR ?) SHF SP CO Japan" and got conflicting results ....some posts mention "litz" wire or silver wire ....I guess I could be , at least the ends. ..it is flat and abt 1/2 inch wide. some posters called it Polk flat cobra , anyway, there is no
reliable info on the stuff that I can find.

some said that the green was for HF and copper for LF, others say run it as normal speaker wire :dont-know:

anybody know abt it for sure ?

Ruediger
07-19-2012, 12:08 AM
The combined cross section is low for a wannabe high quality cable.

The capacity for sure is on the high side, You should measure it. A good amp will tolerate it, some amps might get into troubles.

In other words: it is vodoo junk. Sell it to Your best enemy.

Ruediger

fpitas
07-19-2012, 04:48 AM
I sure wouldn't run HF and LF together in a twisted pair, there's bound to be some coupling. Have to agree with Ruediger; find a sucker, uhm lucky recipient and sell it to them.

hjames
07-19-2012, 05:08 AM
Hard to tell in the picture - but its basically fancy twisted pair (2 conductor), right?
I mean, each length of flat cable just has two connections at each end, copper and green, right (+ and -) ...
Its not bi-wire (4 conductor) in a single length, is it?

today I snagged two 25 foot runs of this speaker wire .... seemed interesting . I looked up nfo from the label that says
" OTR (QTR ?) SHF SP CO Japan" and got conflicting results ....some posts mention "litz" wire or silver wire ....I guess I could be , at least the ends. ..it is flat and abt 1/2 inch wide. some posters called it Polk flat cobra , anyway, there is no
reliable info on the stuff that I can find.

some said that the green was for HF and copper for LF, others say run it as normal speaker wire :dont-know:

anybody know abt it for sure ?

fpitas
07-19-2012, 05:13 AM
BTW, here's a Rod Elliott article on the effects of speaker cables on an amplifier output. As Ruediger said, the wrong cable can make an amplifier unstable: http://sound.westhost.com/cable-z.htm

duaneage
08-10-2012, 06:17 PM
That cable should work fine at audio frequencies and power levels.

Hoerninger
08-13-2012, 12:29 PM
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm