PDA

View Full Version : Spray, Roller or Brush baffle?

Mike F
07-02-2012, 08:42 PM
What began as a simple L36a refoam job, quickly spiraled into a pretty time and labor intensive restoration. Sanding and oiling the veneer , cleaning and re-attaching grille cloth, painting grille frame, cleaning out L-pads, (damn OCD;)) while awaiting the arrival of a set of Rick Cobb sourced surrounds.
Anywho, it`s gotten to the point that once the refoam is done, the speakers will be in near mint condition except for some slight black paint flaking off on a few areas of the baffle (damn OCD;))

I`m thinking of repainting the baffles with either flat or satin black or maybe even some JBL blue but I`m unsure which painting method would yield factory like results.
Spray painting would be the way to go however, I dont think those results can be had with a rattle can, or could they?

I hope the speakers will sound as good as they look when all is said and done...

edgewound
07-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Rattlecan results can be pretty impressive so long as you use primer, several light color coats and patience.

Mike F
07-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Rattlecan results can be pretty impressive so long as you use primer, several light color coats and patience.

Can`t the existing baffle paint serve as a primer? It is not by any means in bad shape i.e. gouges, scratches etc, only some chipping at the joints were baffle, tops and sides meet, a common problem for enclosures of similar vintage.

Previous attempts on other surfaces with the rattle can resulted with "hot spots" here and there, perhaps there is a technique to it.

hjames
07-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Can`t the existing baffle paint serve as a primer? It is not by any means in bad shape i.e. gouges, scratches etc, only some chipping at the joints were baffle, tops and sides meet, a common problem for enclosures of similar vintage.

Previous attempts on other surfaces with the rattle can resulted with "hot spots" here and there, perhaps there is a technique to it.

What are you using to fill in the chips so you have a uniform surface to paint?
Bondo?

just4kinks
07-03-2012, 10:29 AM

If the old paint is chipping, I would sand it down and start over with primer.

Rattle can technique is the same as HVLP, just a LOT slower. These pictures say it all, except one thing: you want THIN coats, and lots of them. If it looks wet, you sprayed too much.
http://www.scottgrundfor.com/classic-car-resource-center/car-restoration-trade-tips/applying-paint-to-cars/images/articles_applying-paint-06.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xX3_jLLDum4/TIz_sBKZmKI/AAAAAAAAAB8/Q7iEVHKl6BU/s1600/Car-Spray-Painting-Technique-3.bmp

Mike F
07-03-2012, 10:47 AM
What are you using to fill in the chips so you have a uniform surface to paint?
Bondo?

Havent considered a filler to be honest as I feel the chips, more like flakes, dont warrant Bondo or some such filler.

The paint itself ought to fill the voids just fine.

Mike F
07-03-2012, 10:50 AM
If the old paint is chipping, I would sand it down and start over with primer.

Rattle can technique is the same as HVLP, just a LOT slower. These pictures say it all, except one thing: you want THIN coats, and lots of them. If it looks wet, you sprayed too much.
http://www.scottgrundfor.com/classic-car-resource-center/car-restoration-trade-tips/applying-paint-to-cars/images/articles_applying-paint-06.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xX3_jLLDum4/TIz_sBKZmKI/AAAAAAAAAB8/Q7iEVHKl6BU/s1600/Car-Spray-Painting-Technique-3.bmp

Thanks for the info, it seems so obvious now:o:
Would black satin be a viable shade?

rdgrimes
07-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Havent considered a filler to be honest as I feel the chips, more like flakes, dont warrant Bondo or some such filler.

The paint itself ought to fill the voids just fine.

Famous last words. Often fresh paint makes them look worse. After sanding, if they are still visible they need filling. There are also "primer-fillers" that work for very small voids or scratches. Fill them and sand it all down if you want them to look like new.

DavidF
07-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the info, it seems so obvious now:o:
Would black satin be a viable shade?

Yes, black satin is appropriate for this project.