PDA

View Full Version : Another of eBay's gems

Lee in Montreal
03-28-2012, 12:34 AM
While browsing for a pair of Emilar EH500 horns, I found those and almost choked.

"100% authentic"

Yup. The horn is missing a huge chunk and is pretty much useless :(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-VINTAGE-EMILAR-EH500-2-HORNS-/300650883044?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item46003067e4

1audiohack
03-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Some welding required!

You know I know a guy who said he knows the guy who ownes the molds to those horns and once in a while they supposedly make small production runs of them. I have asked about them on occasion but nothing ever comes of it. Should I ask again?

I have a pair of these and while I don't think they are remarkable, they sound better than a lot of the horns I have had hence the reason I still have them. :)

Lee in Montreal
03-28-2012, 07:47 AM
The emilar 500 seems to be a nice 500Hz short throw horn of relatively compact size. I've seen it used for some studio monitoring. Interinstingly, the used prices range from low $50/pair to as high as $500.... Go figure. :eek:

maxwedge
03-28-2012, 09:24 AM
They F'ed those up LOL!
I have a pair of the 1" version, I think they are similar anyway. The ones that look like a clown's mouth.:D

Lee in Montreal
03-28-2012, 09:26 AM
The ones that look like a clown's mouth.:D Often refered to as "bow tie". Those are 800Hz horns.

Tim Rinkerman
03-28-2012, 10:17 AM
They are 100% authentic, just not 100% complete....

Mr. Widget
03-28-2012, 12:17 PM
They are 100% authentic, just not 100% complete....Well put!:bouncy:

Widget

maxwedge
03-28-2012, 03:21 PM
I just sent him a message!

"Those horns have had the ends cut off and you are not stating that. They are useless except for scrap!"

Jerks like this should be burned at the stake!:die:

Lee in Montreal
03-28-2012, 04:46 PM
I just sent him a message!

"Those horns have had the ends cut off and you are not stating that. They are useless except for scrap!"

Jerks like this should be burned at the stake!:die:

"IN VERY GOOD COSMETIC CONDITION."

Actually, each side, as well as the front, were heavily truncated. I'd flag that deceptive auction as a major flaw isn't mentionned in the description.

Sundown
03-29-2012, 06:38 AM
Sad thing is some poor soul will buy those thinking it's legit. Seller should be flagged.

maxwedge
03-29-2012, 07:34 AM
I got a reply:)

Dear mil_on,

NOT CUT OFF. THEY ARE ORIGINAL JUST LIKE THAT.
THANKS

- usabeautyshop

Yeah whatever, I sent him a link to pics of a intact set of horns.

Lee in Montreal
03-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Sad thing is some poor soul will buy those thinking it's legit. Seller should be flagged.

Seller knows very well what it has. The ad's wording is extremely non-specific. Yes, ad should be flagged for blattant mispresentation. ;)

Sundown
03-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Seller knows very well what it has. The ad's wording is extremely non-specific. Yes, ad should be flagged for blattant mispresentation. ;)

I'm going to keep up w this auction and see how much he gets. Buy it now for $300!! Wow!

maxwedge
03-29-2012, 03:31 PM
The guys a brick.:dont-know:
I sent him is link to some pictures of these horns, http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/190821-emilar_eh_5002, and this is his reply.

Dear mil_on,

MAY BE DIFFERENT MODEL.
THANKS

- usabeautyshop

Model is cast right on the horn, lol!:blink:

grumpy
03-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Could very well have been taken from a cabinet in that state.
Custom sound companies do all kinds of things that seem odd out of context.
That said, the units are certainly a modified version, whether Emilar sanctioned it or not.
I think most folks looking specifically for EH500 type horns would know that these are ...
incomplete or modified for special use.

I would be surprised if they eventually sold for 1/10 the asking price, but I've been surprised many times :p

hjames
03-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Yep - I was wondering if it came out of a tight fit place in a cabinet
where the cabinet sides formed the two outer edges of the horn ...

Just a wonder ...

That said, the units are certainly a modified version, whether Emilar sanctioned it or not.
I think most folks looking specifically for EH500 type horns would know that these are ...

I would be surprised if they eventually sold for 1/10 the asking price, but I've been surprised many times :p

maxwedge
03-29-2012, 09:31 PM

I see your point.
I'm not messing with the guy any more, lol.:D

allen mueller
03-30-2012, 03:51 AM
I have a pair of those horns in use right now (non cut down version :) ). I cross them over at around 1200 18db slops and 2445's with Be diaphragms. With a some PEQ via my DSP I find them very enjoyable.

Al

oldsoundz
03-30-2012, 08:46 AM
As a part time ebay seller, this is how I see it.

Even if the horns came to him in this manner he almost certainly knows they are altered and has
chosen not to say anything. My reason for this assumption is that whenever I get something I am
not familiar with, I research the hell out of before trying to value it. In doing so, I see many pics
of said item either in other auctions or in other photo's and then I know what I am dealing with.
This guy almost certainly knows that what is offering is not accurately represented in the listing.

My 2 cents

Hope everyone who reads this has an excellent weekend!

Lee in Montreal
03-30-2012, 09:15 AM
^^^ Correct. In order to establish value, the seller has made a search. Just google "Emilar EH-500" (after all, isn't it what is cast on the horn?) and you shall get hundreds of pictures and links. and none of them shows a heavily truncated horn. Therefore, it is obvious the seller is being dishonest.

BTW No need to make an extensive search, there's another set of Emilar horns in "complete" condition on eBay...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=emilar+500

SEAWOLF97
03-30-2012, 10:51 AM
not really on topic, but these came up whilst looking at the horns auction

PAIR OF VINTAGE JBL 375 DRIVERS & 537-500 MASH POTATO HORNS
JBL 375 DRIVERS AND 537-500 MASH POTATO HORNS

Item condition:
--

Time left:
1 day 10 hours (Mar 31, 201220:49:34 PDT)

Current bid:
US $4,550.00

at lest the seller is a UBL expert

SELLING

A NEVER BEEN USED PAIR OF
UBL CAR SPEAKERS