PDA

View Full Version : My Valencia mods.. (yes another thread on Valencia's)

HeathKit
03-11-2012, 06:51 AM
After reading many things on the Altec Valencia. I finally decided on the best course of action for me. Let me start by saying, I don't have any special audio test equipment accept for the matching pair I was born with. I am using a vintage Heathkit setup. A pair of WA-P2's that I rebuilt to factory specs using high quality components and a matching pair of W-4 amps that I rebuilt and slightly modified.. the W-4 originally used 5881's as outputs and I modified the amp to run 6L6GB's.. both mono blocks have new TAD 6L6's and NOS 6SN7's that are matched all ways. For now I have a Dual 1019 TT (I'm currently building a plinth for my ROK Rondine Deluxe) and a Sony 300cd jukebox as well as a Craftmen AM-FM receiver, in addition I have a Rowe HCD (CD hideaway unit using a Rowe Wallette for selectability).. This setup is in my gameroom/train room. (It started out as a "shop" sound system but it ended up sounding so good I think it needs a better home). After first completing the amp work I was somewhat satisfied but like any hobby I wanted to go further. I did quickly realized the Val's shortcomings in both the hi and low departments.. (the elevator didn't go to the top floor OR the basement.) To deal with the top floor first I bought a pair of Belgium Phillips tweeters, I hooked these up across the original HF driver using a 1uf cap. The improvement was immediate, I continued to enjoy this change while I read each thread I could find here. After a bit I decided I would try out the GPA HF Drivers 902-16A. I ordered a pair and the day they arrived I went to work! Well the next stage of change was outstanding! The difference was like night and day.. I no longer needed the super tweeters so away they went. After a week or so of listening I was ready for the next stage of improvement. I decided to build my own crossover network. I settled on the factory design using all high quality components and a 16 ohm 100 watt L-Pad. I built two of them using heavy gauge inductors. I mounted everything on plexiglass boards I cut and drilled after laying out a template. I painted the undersides black (this would hide the wiring underneath and give a nice shiny black as viewed from the top.) I also installed binding posts for the hookups. These were then screwed to the bottom of the cabinet using 3/4" nylon spacers as standoffs and the whole thing then layered with insulation and additional insulation material added to both cabinets as I think the factory use of insulation material was rather spartan. The new crossovers were given a break in period of listening without being critical. After a few days of playing I decided to really give them a work out. The combination of the HF drivers and new crossovers was amazing. I didn't realize how bad the original x-overs were until I installed the new ones. In a way I think the x-overs were the most important upgrade of all. In combination with the new GPA drivers outstanding! Lastly to cover the basement.. I'll say that with the addition of the new x-overs the basement (low end) was much improved to my ear.. perhaps there was less mud in the mix due to new x-overs. However I did choose to add a small Infinity Subwoofer RS series with a 10 inch speaker. I adjusted this sub so that it just subtly fills in the missing lowend. It is almost imperceptible and as a matter of fact I have it hidden away for a test play with a few friends to see if they can pick up on it! I now feel that I have an Altec Valencia system that is pretty much second to none. These speakers really shine! Give them a good vinyl selection and they sing.. Recently I picked up a Speakers Corner copy of Etta James "At Last" (new) and the vocals are outstanding. Of course the Val's shine best with music from their era or earlier Hi Fi, but that is just my opinion. ;) http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z440/amid80/Altec Speakers/Crossovers.jpg (http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z440/amid80/Altec Speakers/?action=view&current=Crossovers.jpg) http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z440/amid80/Altec Speakers/Crossovers2.jpg (http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z440/amid80/Altec Speakers/?action=view&current=Crossovers2.jpg)