PDA

View Full Version : Trying to identify a JBL crossover, need help

mech986
02-04-2012, 01:22 AM
Hi All,

Saw this advertised as a "JBL crossover, 60's" but it doesn't look familiar to me in either any 60's crossover or later in the consumer or Professional line. The seller thinks it should be a 3 way, but I didn't ask him to trace out the wires and I didn't get any other pictures. Maybe it could be a two way? Don't have any info if there were L-pads or controls.

I did get an account of some of the crossover components.

"THE VALUES ARE BETWEEN THE CAPS. 16.5 UF, 16.5 UF, 13.5 UF, 3 UF, RANKED BY SIZE. THE INSIDE RESISTOR IS 38 OHMS, THE OUTSIDE IS 3.9 OHMS. THE MIDDLE HAS GLUE ON IT. THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST."

Given the values, I'm thinking something like a 12" or 15" woofer but other than that, I'm stumped so far. I've gone through the available JBL Pro schematics on their website, looked at possible candidate in the Consumer tech sheets, and not come up with anything yet.

Anybody have a clue or does it look familar?

rdgrimes
02-04-2012, 06:40 AM
I thought all JBL crossovers had a model number on the board.

subwoof
02-06-2012, 09:33 PM
it's a 2 way, probably 800-1200 hz from the consumer line. Ask if there's a N number somewhere on it.

edgewound
02-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Hi All,

Saw this advertised as a "JBL crossover, 60's" but it doesn't look familiar to me in either any 60's crossover or later in the consumer or Professional line. The seller thinks it should be a 3 way, but I didn't ask him to trace out the wires and I didn't get any other pictures. Maybe it could be a two way? Don't have any info if there were L-pads or controls.

I did get an account of some of the crossover components.

"THE VALUES ARE BETWEEN THE CAPS. 16.5 UF, 16.5 UF, 13.5 UF, 3 UF, RANKED BY SIZE. THE INSIDE RESISTOR IS 38 OHMS, THE OUTSIDE IS 3.9 OHMS. THE MIDDLE HAS GLUE ON IT. THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST."

Given the values, I'm thinking something like a 12" or 15" woofer but other than that, I'm stumped so far. I've gone through the available JBL Pro schematics on their website, looked at possible candidate in the Consumer tech sheets, and not come up with anything yet.

Anybody have a clue or does it look familar?

It looks to be from a 4671. The cap values match up pretty well, and the 4671 has spring loaded terminals. Typical hardwire 1980s construction before PC boards.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Theatre%20Series/4671.pdf

mech986
06-03-2012, 09:22 AM
It looks to be from a 4671. The cap values match up pretty well, and the 4671 has spring loaded terminals. Typical hardwire 1980s construction before PC boards.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Theatre Series/4671.pdf

Same crossover was also used for the JBL 4660/4660A Defined Coverage speaker. Interesting and the same crossover is essentially a variant of the 3110A.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Theatre Series/4660.pdf

It was finally sold by the seller on May 25.

Edit: BTW, the way I found out was that I actually have a 4660 crossover and its identical to the picture and crossover schematic.