PDA

View Full Version : Active bi-amping - bloody hell! Does it sound good?

Amnes
01-20-2012, 05:53 AM
Ooooh yessss! It does! To all those forum members that directed me to active bi-amping: Thank you all! Thank you for every slightest hint and inception. Since the oncoming weeks are going to bring a set of 4344 clones into my listening gear it was about time to wire the gear I collected for powering the blue beasts. I tested all the equipment to find it fully working. The test setup consisted of:

Source: Logitech Transporter
Pre: Marantz PM 14, pre out->
X-over: Nakamichi EC-100 12db ->
Lows amp: Carver A-500X
Tops amp: (main in) Marantz PM 14
Speakers: JBL 250 Ti

I setup all the knobs by ear, don't even know what settings I ended up with. The sound improvement is stunning. I've been using a 1500usd dac lately which impressed me but the additional amp and crossover are just amazing! The highs reached new levels of clarity, transient, timbre and all that stuff that makes music sound live and natural. My oh my! I'm all euphoric because of this revelation. If any of you forum members out there don't have a bi-amping rig yet - get one. Now my JBL's paired up with the PM 14 sing! They haven't done it before.

Here is an unfortunately low quality recording due to camera generated cracking noises. Still you will get the picture even via laptop speakers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZjFNgLXUKE

Again: Thank you all for suggesting the one and only right way - multiamping.

Don Mascali
01-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Very nice! Good luck on your new project.