PDA

View Full Version : 4311's Best way to remove drivers/ clean the crossover Pots,

hitechluddite
01-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Hello everyone.

I have a set of 4311B's that I bought new from WDS in 1981 They still look and sound great, the only problem is the level pots for the mids and tweeters are noisy and sometimes cause a complete dropout of that driver. I removed the foil from one side and found the crossover mounting screws. I removed the screws from the mid but the driver will not come out of the cabinet. I don't want to start prying and mess up my nearly mint enclosures. Any suggestions on getting the crossovers out so I can rinse the pots in de-ox-id and get them back to 100%. Would a little heat from a hairdryer help or hurt?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Don C
01-07-2012, 12:25 PM
The midrange drivers have a cylindrical enclosure behind them, so its no use to remove them. You need to pull the woofers. Take out the screws and try to lift them with a flat screwdriver tip tilted in the screw holes. Consider bending the tip of a cheap flat screwdriver to make a hooked tool. It is always difficult, the paint and gaskets are always stuck. Sometimes part of the cabinet comes up with the woofer frame.

hitechluddite
01-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Sounds like a nasty job, makes you wonder why there isn't an access panel where the speaker wire posts are. I don't think it will be possible tom clean the Pots without taking that board out of the enclosure...