PDA

View Full Version : What the hell happened to Altec?

Lee in Montreal
12-27-2011, 04:30 PM
I regularly browse my local kijiji for JBL stuff. I usually find monitors, Pro parts and the occasional computer speakers. If I look for Altec parts, 95% of the items are crappy computer speakers and very rarely will I find some quality speakers or raw drivers. Obviously, Kijiji is not your enthusiast source for quality components as AK, LH or other specialized forums. Just your regular mom and pop source. So what happened in Altec's history so that they'll soon be known by the younger crowd for their computer speakers, and not their studio or home speakers? When did Altec stop producing good stuff? :eek:

louped garouv
12-27-2011, 04:38 PM
they got bought out several times...
:(

the spark-o-matic transfer seems to be the most notorious...

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/history/altec/altec-history.htm

speakerdave
12-29-2011, 12:59 PM
I think the real damage was done earlier when Altec was bought in a leveraged buy out, stripped of its cash and turned loose with extremely burdensome indebtedness, which made it impossible to make a profit, open new markets, develop new products or improve its old ones, etc. This pattern of doing business may sound familiar if you've read anything about the career of GOP hopeful Romney and his private equity firm. In the old days they were known as corporate raiders.

louped garouv
12-29-2011, 01:22 PM
agree with you Dave,
guess i am just remembering all the references to 'spark-o-altec' on Todd's board...

speakerdave
12-29-2011, 01:38 PM
Well, I think it was that other owners of the company had tried to revive it or keep alive its traditions, whereas Sparkomatic primarily exploited the name with products which were very far from what the name was known for.

Mr. Widget
12-29-2011, 02:03 PM
In the old days...Don't even get me started! I'll have to ban myself! ;)

Happy New Year, if I fail to mention it later.

Widget

speakerdave
12-29-2011, 03:04 PM
Don't even get me started! I'll have to ban myself! ;)

Happy New Year, if I fail to mention it later.

Widget

The same back to you.