PDA

View Full Version : Question about JBL 4628B Cabaret Speakers

cepost
11-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Can anyone help me determine a fair price for a pair of mint condition JBL 4628B Cabaret speakers? These were given to me by a friend who purchased four of them along with a JBL dual 18" sub about the size of a refrigerator and never even opened the boxes(very strange friend) .. I hate to get rid of them but they just take up too much space in the small room I have them in .. I've done some research online but most of what I've found relate to speakers that are pretty beat up and prices ranging from 150.00 each to 1000.00 for a pair.

I just ordered a pair of JBLLSR 4328P studio monitors to replace them. I'm doing quite a bit of multitrack recording and wanted a pair of exceptional monitors for the final mix .. I've read some great things about the LSRs .. does anyone have any first hand experience with them?

Craig Post

berf
11-28-2011, 05:23 PM
The prospect of fresh out of the box Cabaret's may be irresistible to someone from the old guys garage band/ relive your youth crowd. Probably the same basic buyer that is paying $600 on up for L100's. I would guess $800 a pair tops is they're truly mint. If you want a quicker sale maybe $500. They're very nice and should be very desirable but for some reason not many people lust after them these days. Beat to death is pretty much the rule for all things Cabaret so you've actually got something that stands out from the crowd.

I don't own LSR's and I don't know what your exposure to dead-on accurate is but I know that GIGO is the rule. Play back other people's masterpieces, old favorites, some 70's 16-track 2" early massive console stuff like Zeppelin or Genesis, and especially some harsh 80's digital as your reference to get a feel for what you now own and you'll see how your work stacks up.