PDA

View Full Version : Magnavox Max 15 SE 2510

mikebake
09-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Found/bought a pair at a garage sale, $45. Thought the dome mid looked familiar from long ago, thought they might be desirable on ebay. Haven't taken drivers out to see perhaps who made them. Anybody heard/familiar with these things? Hooked them up in the shop, not too bad, bass is probably bloated, need to run a better source and give 'em a better listen.

Mr. Widget
09-21-2011, 12:59 AM
Come on Mike... how long have you been posting?

:useless:

Widget

mikebake
09-21-2011, 04:18 AM
Ha ha. I was just heading out to snap some when I read this!
Come on Mike... how long have you been posting?

:useless:

Widget

mikebake
09-21-2011, 04:30 AM

Mr. Widget
09-21-2011, 06:33 AM
Yeah... pretty typical mid level '70s fare. The woofer is probably a Phillips, the tweeter looks like an old CTS, but others made similar cone tweeters. The mid looks like many that were used back then by Dynaco and others.

This was probably "high end" for Magnavox... and boomy and bloated bass was pretty typical.

Widget

DavidF
09-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Yeah... pretty typical mid level '70s fare. The woofer is probably a Phillips, the tweeter looks like an old CTS, but others made similar cone tweeters. The mid looks like many that were used back then by Dynaco and others.

This was probably "high end" for Magnavox... and boomy and bloated bass was pretty typical.

Widget
The word "rich" comes to mind. Ad editors seemed to like the sound of the word to describe the fullness of the bass as a virtue rather than a detriment to better response.

Mr. Widget
09-21-2011, 08:29 AM
The word "rich" comes to mind. Ad editors seemed to like the sound of the word to describe the fullness of the bass as a virtue rather than a detriment to better response.There is something to that... and recalling that many recordings of the era were a bit lean on the bottom, and many lesser components were fairly anemic, a "rich", "full" sounding speaker may have pleased many a listener.

Widget

mikebake
09-21-2011, 04:09 PM
yeah, I knew it wasn't anything special; a post more befitting sites where dumpster diving rules. I just thought that mid might be something in demand for vintage guys, as I presumed it may have been used in a variety of speakers. It kinda has that AR sound that I recall. It'll go on as a dorm room beater pair for one of my kids. Maybe. If that, even. They already have somewhat developed tastes.

DavidF
09-21-2011, 09:28 PM
yeah, I knew it wasn't anything special; a post more befitting sites where dumpster diving rules. I just thought that mid might be something in demand for vintage guys, as I presumed it may have been used in a variety of speakers. It kinda has that AR sound that I recall. It'll go on as a dorm room beater pair for one of my kids. Maybe. If that, even. They already have somewhat developed tastes.

Well, a tweaker's delight perhaps with an updated tweeter. If nothing else, it's a way to experience first hand how the standard of HiFi has evolved over time.

spkrman57
09-22-2011, 07:36 AM
I used to have that cabinet, but it went to the wayside.

I thought what I have are tweeters until I saw your pics and realized it's a mid-driver(?).

I don't know how they sound as I have had them sitting around and never played them.

Let me know if you come up with some specs on those domed drivers!

Regards, Ron

mikebake
09-22-2011, 07:48 AM
I'll probably take them out to see if there is any identifying info on the back of the drivers.

spkrman57
09-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Note they are not the same and differ in overall width of frame.

Codes on back are unreadable with my lousy photographic abilities, so here they are:

580203-1 (4 3/4" dia mounting flange) (Re - 7.2 ohms)

022-1130-043 (4 1/4" dia mounting flange) (Re - 6.9 ohms)

Both drivers have the same size dia (3" on the business side/dome and surround and protective screen).

I'm just interested in what the lowest frequency to cross these over on the bottom end, and approx power handling.

I'll try them out on the WT2 and see if I gleam any other useful info.

Regards, Ron

spkrman57
09-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Fs 1750 hz 537 hz
Qes 3.5 1.2
Qms 1.8 1.8
Qts 1.2 .72
Le .35 mH .42 mH

The smaller framed dome is the one on the right. I also like those specs better than the one on the left.

At least they will be useful for cheap spkr builds.....

Ron