PDA

View Full Version : Inductor connection.

warpig
08-31-2011, 08:15 AM
Hello

Again another question that may seem dumb to some.

Should the center wire of the inductor be hooked up toward the amp (upstream) or should the center wire be hooked up towards the speaker (downstream)? Or does it really matter?

Thanks

hjames
08-31-2011, 10:16 AM
No worries - an inductor is just a coil, and should have no polarity to speak of.

The only issue with inductors is to not place them
too close to each other in the same plane
so their magnetic fields don't connect.

Hello

Again another question that may seem dumb to some.

Should the center wire of the inductor be hooked up toward the amp (upstream) or should the center wire be hooked up towards the speaker (downstream)? Or does it really matter?

Thanks

grumpy
08-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Uh.... what's a -center- wire, regarding an inductor?

perhaps I missed some context. Somehow (to me), this is implying three wires
(possible, but then it is not a plain inductor).

If what was meant was 'of the two wires, one of which seems to come from
the middle of the coil winding, which way should I connect them?' ... then
ignore this and read Heather's response :)

Eaulive
08-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Coils have no polarities... and even if they had, since a speaker line is an AC circuit, it would make no difference what so ever.

So don't worry :D

warpig
08-31-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks All

Appreciate the info.

Grumpy was that a great movie or what. The dude man.

Be Happy :D

Again Thanks All

warpig
09-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Just wanted to say thanks again.

Heather I checked this site (http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm)out and used it as a go by. I posted in another thread (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?31652-JBLL65-inductor-numbers-not-matching-up.)about something I ran into with the inductors on some L65s when I went to change the resistors and capacitors out on them. I decided to change out the inductors just to make sure.

Grumpy hehe just read the reply again. Me I am kind of slow and just got what you were implying. To me the center of a circle is the middle. I can see where it could be the difference between the outer and middle also. :D

Eaulive no worries just happy with the way it worked out.

Anyway in case anyone may want the info. L65s used Erse foil inductors 1mh, .5mh and did not change out the transformer .3mh. Caps were 8uf Ampohm the 4uf and 1.5uf were Jantzen superior z. The resistors were Mills non-inductive.
L166s basically same as the L65s just different values. Also did not replace the inductors on the 166 pair. Though the 166s needed the surround replaced on them.

Hope this helps someone.

Again Thanks
greg

Allanvh5150
09-04-2011, 04:09 AM
I would be betting though, if you swapped the centre tap and one of the outside legs, there would be a very noticeable difference.

Allan.

warpig
09-12-2011, 04:50 AM
Allan

Sorry to get back to this thread so late. Are you suggesting that I try what you suggested? Were you just stating your thoughts? :confused:

Thanks
greg

Allanvh5150
09-13-2011, 01:24 AM
I would not suggest you try it. An autotransformer with it centre wire connected to the speaker will act as an attenuator. If you connect the centre tap to the drive and the outside tap to the speaker, you will get an increase.

Allan.