PDA

View Full Version : Any good info on Stephens Tru-Sonic?

spaceman
08-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Hi all, I joined up here a couple/few years ago, because Zilch kept referencing this place at another forum (R.I.P. sir). I mostly wanted to learn the basics about the 811-B horns & the various drivers at the time, so mostly just read without much posting. Anyways, I have a pair of old Stephens Tru-Sonic 150FR drivers (15" fullrange), and I know they're good from listening to them, but I'd like to learn more about them, and the company, if I can. Obviously, these aren't a Lansing product, but some consider them a close relative, I guess. ;) Thanks. :)

Johnlw7
08-28-2011, 10:49 AM
They are some of the finest drivers ever made.In the same class as Altec and JBL and sometimes command higher prices.I had a pair of their 15 inch co-axials in Barzilay cabinets and sold them years ago.One of my big regrets in audio.

spaceman
08-31-2011, 10:10 AM
Yep, anyone who's heard them appreciates their sound & quality, it's just a shame there's not much info on the net about them. I have them in some old cabinets that were actually made for 8" full rangers, for now, and though the baffle cutout is too small, there's plenty of room for them to breathe, plus they're vented in the back, so not really confined or restricted. I listened to them for most of a day as full-range, but eventually hooked up some little alnico horns & l-pads. I kinda "need" that top end sizzle. ;) I have some Altec Musical Instrument cabinets, that were water damaged on the bottoms, and I'm most of the ways done salvaging/modding them. They were made for 15" drivers & 811-B horns, so it should work out great. :)

tomt
09-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Yep, anyone who's heard them appreciates their sound & quality,

what electronics do you use with them?