PDA

View Full Version : More than 1.5m CDs destroyed in Sony warehouse fire

richluvsound
08-11-2011, 07:37 AM
Hope this is the right place to post this !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/14490635

rich

Lee in Montreal
08-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Considering that a CD costs 50 cents to produce and retails $20.00, I can speculate that the profit margin is enough so that after selling a couple, they'll be back in their money. But seriously, who buys CDs anymore? It could well be a "convenient" fire after all. :eek:

LowPhreak
08-11-2011, 10:11 AM
It could well be a "convenient" fire after all. :eek:

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.

Mr. Widget
08-11-2011, 11:38 AM
But seriously, who buys CDs anymore? It could well be a "convenient" fire after all. :eek:I do... where else can you get your music that isn't an "audiophile" recording of uninteresting music or an mp3?

Widget

1audiohack
08-11-2011, 11:50 AM
I buy CD's, I like having a tangible quality copy of my music and hopefully it insures the artists get their due.

hjames
08-11-2011, 11:54 AM
I buy CD's, I like having a tangible quality copy of my music and hopefully it insures the artists get their due.

Agreed - got shelves full of the danged things - but, with the constant release of remasters and such, it does get pricey. Not sure the record companies treat the artists right, but I buy direct from the artist when I can.

And I agree - I like having physical backups of my music!

Robh3606
08-11-2011, 12:07 PM
But seriously, who buys CDs anymore?

I do and will continue too. Nothing beats a hard copy just wish they sold them with 12x12 cover artwork that's the one thing I miss about vinyl.

Rob:)

Mr. Widget
08-11-2011, 12:09 PM
I like having a tangible quality copy of my music and hopefully it insures the artists get their due.+1

Actually when I read Rich's post, I didn't even think of the loss of music or insurance claims... that much burning plastic must have really stunk up the place... probably still does.

Widget

Ducatista47
08-11-2011, 12:46 PM
I do and will continue too. Nothing beats a hard copy just wish they sold them with 12x12 cover artwork that's the one thing I miss about vinyl.

Rob:)

X2 here. On the other hand, CD booklets have been my vision improvement program for some years. If my kids can get used to watching movies on a phone, I can do this...

Clark

Lee in Montreal
08-11-2011, 12:49 PM
... and hopefully it insures the artists get their due.

Artists don't make money out of records sales. Most everything goes into the labels' pockets. They are the ones that are hurt by "piracy", not the artists. Artists make their money out of concerts, sales of merchandising, and from selling discs directly from their own websites. And also part from the airplay royalties.

Basically, to help artists, the only way is to buy CDs or vinyl off their own website or go to their concerts. Did I mention that artists don't need record labels anymore anyway? They can sell directly on iTune too. Actually, iTune is the new record label.

richluvsound
08-11-2011, 02:06 PM
X2 here. On the other hand, CD booklets have been my vision improvement program for some years. If my kids can get used to watching movies on a phone, I can do this...

Clark

I wonder if GT realised when he started that he would see the day when kids would watch movies on something the size of a playing card in stereo . :blink:

I still buy CD's when I can . I'm a lot more discerning now though ! So many places I can download good quality recordings so I don't have to pay 20 bucks just for 2-3 tracks that I want in my collection . Its the loss of vinyl that bought tears to eyes ...

Lee in Montreal
08-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Interesting article on the "redistribution of wealth" by the record labels

http://www.badhabitatmusic.com/360-deals-all-hip-hop/

Condensed excerpt
"Back in the day, labels took roughly 87% of the pie while giving the artists 12% of the money AFTER the artist paid back everything spent on them from that 12% share. This means that if the artist sold $500,000 worth of CDs, and it cost $50,000 to market and promote that CD (a very low example), the artist share of $60,000 (12% of $500k) would be divided between paying the label back that $50,000 and a check for the remaining $10,000. The label would receive $490,000 for its investment and belief in that artist while the artist made $10,000. In exchange for giving up the lion’s share of the sales, the labels always told the artists that they’d make 100% of the touring. Any show money, was the artist’s to keep!

When the s**thit the fan financially for the labels, they decided to tap into the show money, and all other streams of income for the artists, as well. After all, if your profit margin is made smaller, you need to eat more of everyone’s income to keep the fat cats at the top, and the stock holders, happy."

Therefore, if you guys buy CDs hoping the dough supports the artists, well, I have big news for you... ;)

richluvsound
08-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Lee,

as an artist , like every other job I'm subject to the real world ... galleries take 50-60 % from visual artists . Regardless , would I give up doing what I do to do something that pays more ? No ----ing way !
I want something ,I find out how to make it ... the rest have to buy it ... Sure I don't have a lot of things others have , but then again I enjoy a liberty that is priceless to me and many other artists of every genre - Freedom from the greed gene :bouncy:

At the end of the day , the most important thing is to get my work out there . To communicate my ideas to people that may share my point of view ... Money destroys everything ! the more freedom I have from it and those who chase it the saner I am .

Rich

LowPhreak
08-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Good on you, Rich. :thmbsup:

pathfindermwd
08-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Lee,

as an artist , like every other job I'm subject to the real world ... galleries take 50-60 % from visual artists . Regardless , would I give up doing what I do to do something that pays more ? No ----ing way !
I want something ,I find out how to make it ... the rest have to buy it ... Sure I don't have a lot of things others have , but then again I enjoy a liberty that is priceless to me and many other artists of every genre - Freedom from the greed gene :bouncy:

At the end of the day , the most important thing is to get my work out there . To communicate my ideas to people that may share my point of view ... Money destroys everything ! the more freedom I have from it and those who chase it the saner I am .

Rich

Nicely said! :applaud::bouncy::hurray::thmbsup::cool::cheers::r ockon1: