PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With L150's

Vintage L150's
08-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Hello,
I just purchased a pair of JBL L150 Millennium's from a yard sale for 75 bucks. They were in ok condition considering their age(one tweeter smushed in, one mid smushed and not working, and no woofers at all, grills got badly cat scratched and busted up, But the actual Boxes are in MINT shape). I took them home and got the tweeter to pop out and the mid to work with just some wire jiggling. I need some advice on what woofers/passive radiators to get and where. Any ideas on how to pop the mid out? Is there anything else i should be doing to these beasts? Any advice I can get would be a huge help
thanks

rdgrimes
08-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Super good find there, congrats.

You want 2 128H woofers and 2 PR300 passive radiators. Accept no substitutes, these can be found on eBay or even around here from time to time. The passive radiator holes (bottom hole) can be covered with a plate if you want while you track down the right ones.

The mid-range dimple might be repaired with a piece of tape depending on how bad it is. It's not critical to fix it. Those are LE5-12 drivers.

You can find the spec sheets and schematics in the links forum here.

You've got a $750 pair of speakers there, so there's some room to play with costs. The results will be worth it.

Vintage L150's
08-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Awesome! This may sound weird but I have the frames for both woofer/PR's. Is there anything I can do with these or are they junk? Also these seem to be hard as heck to find so is there anywhere I could just order them from, or just be patient for now?

JeffW
08-05-2011, 05:58 PM
OCS still shows the 128H kit (http://www.speakerrepair.com/ocsrepairprice.html) to be available. So hopefully a legitimate, authorized JBL repair center can rebuild the woofers. There are lots of threads here where guys sent their prized drivers off for repair and didn't get what they expected back, I only use OCS as a reference as to the availability of the kit. If I were to send a pair of drivers to California, I'd probably hit up Edgewound, but others have used OCS with good results.

Robh3606
08-05-2011, 08:10 PM
The problem could be the availability of the passive radiator kits. Good luck finding them.

Rob:)

grumpy
08-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Aftermarket cone kit and some Masonite discs :)
(and some gumption)

Robh3606
08-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Aftermarket cone kit and some Masonite discs :)
(and some gumption)

Might work it would be better if you knew what weights were added to the stock P/R's. The kits going to have a VC. The weight is the key to getting the stock tuning assuming the compliance is correct. Maybe someone will step forward so we can see what's actually on the back of the PR. How many disks and washers.

Rob:)

grumpy
08-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Tuning it was the gumption part :)

Allanvh5150
08-05-2011, 10:37 PM
I have 2 pair of L150's and they both have different weight sets. Cant get at them now though because I am halfway around the globe. Keep a lookout for them on ebay. I got a pair a while back for $45!!!

Allan.

rdgrimes
08-06-2011, 05:05 AM
The PR300 does turn up on eBay from time to time, but certainly the 128H is far more available. Recone costs are pretty scary expensive especially if you aren't certain about the condition of your baskets.