PDA

View Full Version : XLR vs. 1/4" connectors

jontherev
09-10-2004, 06:58 AM
I'm looking at buying some connectors for some JBL amps I just bought, and was wondering what (if any) difference there is between using the XLR and the 1/4" connector (the other end will be RCA running to the receiver). I have noticed that the XLR connectors run about 3 times more expensive than the 1/4" cables (checking online for Hosa cables), so is it worth the price? Sorry if this has been covered before...I didn't quite find what I was looking for by searching....thanks,
Jon

Robh3606
09-10-2004, 09:09 AM
If you don't run balanced, or even if you do it probably won't matter. I run my amps a combination of both and asside from some ground loop issues unique to my set-up either works just fine. I would go with the 1/4 to RCA's. If you do use them with the XLR's watch the polarity on the JBL amps. XLR polarity can be different an example is most now are pin 2 hot. If I remember right my 5235 crossover is Pin 1 hot. So just watch it if you decide down the road to run them balanced.

Rob:)

Mr. Widget
09-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Robh3606
I run my amps a combination of both and asside from some ground loop issues unique to my set-up either works just fine.

Ha Ha Ha that's rich. We've all experienced those unique ground loop problems. As soon as you bring "pro audio" indoors you get to chase those funny little loops. :banghead:

Widget

GordonW
09-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Just use RCA-1/4" adapters or adapter cables. The levels should match better that way, and it'll be unbalanced cable connections on both ends... should be inherently more compatible.

Regards,
Gordon.

jontherev
09-10-2004, 11:03 AM
Looks like it's RCA-1/4" then! 'Preciate the help...have a good weekend,
Jon