PDA

View Full Version : help needed in choosing new two way system

c3conv
07-15-2011, 05:48 PM
I currently have an open baffle using Goodsman 301 while the other is the 12" Philips and enjoying the large soundstage, but the design of A7, A4 mini, jbl 4530 and 4560 (horn) are always pleasing to my eye and want to build a two way with 811 horn for the high and a bass bin for the low but wonder how do they sound. I have always like the natural slam and punch of the bass kick drum or the low notes of the double bass as I play them and that is what I hope I will get from one of them bass bin. I was wondering if these boxes can produce the sound that I am looking for. Of course not sacrificing the natural sound of the other musical instruments. Some prefer the sound of the Model 19 (bass reflex design) when it comes to the lower frequencies as it is obvious because of the inherent bass reflex sound specially the punch. I have no way to audition all of them and this is the first time I am going to spend money more than what I used to (open baffle) that is why I don't want to make a costly mistake in my first try. My questions are:
1. Can I still get the same wide sound stage and openness from these design? Can I get natural sound of the punch or slam of the bass drum and bass guitar?
2. Which design would you suggest? Why?
3. what are their strong and weak points?
4. what tweaks should I do to improve their weak points?
5. Bass reflex of the model 19 type or horn loaded?

thanks for the help!

Lee in Montreal
07-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Kick drums and contrabass sound very natural with a 4530 using a 2205 or 2225. You can hear the fingers snapping the strings.

JBL 4645
07-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Kick drums and contrabass sound very natural with a 4530 using a 2205 or 2225. You can hear the fingers snapping the strings.

I guess by saying you can hear the strings etc is reduced coloration of the frequency response where normally it would mask other tones due to outputting more in certain parts of the spectrum.

c3conv

Run a frequency response sweep and recoded the graph would it, or should it be fairly uniform with fewer bumps or dips in the response.

Also maybe spot frequencies as the output would steady and near to music or film. Feel the tones in the seat as you step up one tone at time (put the pc near to the seating or laptop and click on the mouse) lows should really vibrate the seating in several areas the armrest the seat back the feet parts of the sofa cushions parts of your chest/arms/legs at different frequencies and SPL db levels it varies up and down the range. You’ll have dips maybe a few Mr. Nulls and that Mr. Null is pain sometimes!:banghead:

c3conv
07-19-2011, 05:44 PM
(put the pc near to the seating or laptop and click on the mouse) lows should really vibrate the seating in several areas the armrest the seat back the feet parts of the sofa cushions parts of your chest/arms/legs at different frequencies and SPL db levels it varies up and down the range. You’ll have dips maybe a few Mr. Nulls and that Mr. Null is pain sometimes!:banghead:

thanks for the reply. I don't have any instrument to test them and I am just testing them by listening to some cd's. I am assuming that you have a program in your laptop that can test this. Where can I download them and learn them?

Eaulive
07-19-2011, 07:48 PM
:spchless:

Lee in Montreal
07-19-2011, 08:26 PM
I wonder which "home size" horns can go to 20KHz with some equalization. TAD TH4003? Some Iwata

Robh3606
07-20-2011, 04:19 AM
I wonder which "home size" horns can go to 20KHz with some equalization. TAD TH4003? Some Iwata

Are you talking flat or 6-10db down? You are going to be limited by the compression driver and throat size. Also 2435 do better on some horns than others due to their phase plug.

Rob:)