PDA

View Full Version : Harman Kardon Stereo Receiver

Titanium Dome
07-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Into this bizarre mish-mash of a forum, here's my miscellaneous contribution.

hjames
07-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Into this bizarre mish-mash of a forum, here's my miscellaneous contribution.
So ... are you selling it or ...?

Titanium Dome
07-02-2011, 02:30 PM
It's an HK 3490 refurb that I got for under $200. I grabbed a few unboxing shots 'cuz I know everyone loves it when I do this.

Titanium Dome
07-02-2011, 02:31 PM
It's got the typical clean front panel.

EDIT: Hey, I just noticed a weird Anthony Weiner thing going on in the panel's reflection!!!

Titanium Dome
07-02-2011, 02:36 PM
The back panel has a few unusual touches for a stereo receiver: digital inputs, subwoofer outputs with triggers, XM (if you've got it), and iPod connectivity through Harman's The Bridge.

Titanium Dome
07-02-2011, 02:40 PM
I hooked it up to my turntable, L100s, and a single HTPS400. I also attached a Bridge I picked up for $30. I played some Buddha Zen Chillout stuff, the JBL Superrecord, and listened to a couple of my favorite FM stations.

:thmbsup:

I like it!

The status display even shows the artist and title of the music playing on the iPod, and the HK 3490 remote controls the iPod via the Bridge.

Titanium Dome
07-02-2011, 02:47 PM
So ... are you selling it or ...?

It's a keeper, unless it craps out like your big AV unit.

Audiobeer
07-02-2011, 02:51 PM
You can't beat it for the price. I bought a reconditioned HK 3470 years ago from Harman Kardon on Ebay. Ran it hard in the garage for about 5 or 6 years before it shot craps. That's about $20 a year cost. You can't beat it!

hjames
07-02-2011, 03:00 PM
yeah, apparently the cheaper ones are a great value ...
my first HK AVR was a good deal, the two after that (including the AVR7300), bupkis!
But I wish you the best - looks like a nice unit with cool features!

Titanium Dome
07-02-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm sure my grandson will think his room at Papa's place is much cooler now.

Mr. Widget
07-02-2011, 05:25 PM
You can't beat it for the price. I bought a reconditioned HK 3470 years ago from Harman Kardon on Ebay. Ran it hard in the garage for about 5 or 6 years before it shot craps. That's about $20 a year cost. You can't beat it!
I bought a 40wpc integrated amp from Kenwood in 1977. It was in regular use for about 3 decades before it finally failed... It cost a whopping $150.

I think a 5 to 10 year life expectancy before a product becomes obsolete or dies is simply criminal... or at least should be. It is irresponsible for us to waste raw materials with premature landfill.

I hope this HK product surprises everyone and lasts long enough to be taken off to college by Dome's grandchild...

Widget

Audiobeer
07-02-2011, 06:43 PM
I bought a 40wpc integrated amp from Kenwood in 1977. It was in regular use for about 3 decades before it finally failed... It cost a whopping $150.

I think a 5 to 10 year life expectancy before a product becomes obsolete or dies is simply criminal... or at least should be. It is irresponsible for us to waste raw materials with premature landfill.

I hope this HK product surprises everyone and lasts long enough to be taken off to college by Dome's grandchild...

Widget

I doudt it, especialy in my case. My first clue was I was buying it "reconditioned". :D

JBLAddict
07-03-2011, 09:58 AM
my AVR354 has the Bridge but unfortunately, only the Bridge2 on the next year's models can take my iPhone and only apple product. Seeing how well the concept works on the HK really bums me out that I can't take advantage, espeically since the AVR gives the full menu on the TV through the HDMI...real loss:(

Titanium Dome
07-03-2011, 01:04 PM
my AVR354 has the Bridge but unfortunately, only the Bridge2 on the next year's models can take my iPhone and only apple product. Seeing how well the concept works on the HK really bums me out that I can't take advantage, espeically since the AVR gives the full menu on the TV through the HDMI...real loss:(

After reading your comment, I went in and stuck my iPhone 3G running iOS 4.3 in it, and it works. I did get a message about the accessory not being optimized for the iPhone and another about charging not being supported, but it's playing right now and showing Adagio for Strings on the display.

I think you have the iPhone 4, so maybe that's it. Or maybe Harman just made a few minor changes and wanted everyone to upgrade so it didn't have to support the older model anymore. Who knows? I see there's The Bridge III now.

In any event, next time you come, we'll stick your iPhone in and see what happens--if you dare! :p

clmrt
07-05-2011, 06:23 PM
What, no nudies?

Titanium Dome
07-05-2011, 09:10 PM
What, no nudies?

If he's willing to expose his iPhone in public (or is that in pubic, A. Wiener?) I'll take a picture of it. :D