PDA

View Full Version : JBL L110 Thoughts?

Ahblaza
05-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Hello To All,
I am new to this forum and need some thoughts or opinions on a vintage pair of JBL L110 loudspeakers. I found a pair of these in my local paper and the person is asking $125 and says they are in good condition, I have not seen them and the location of the speakers is about twenty minutes from my home. I would like to know if it is worth my time and money to check these out? I am not familiar with JBL speakers, I am open to all suggestions. I would think these were made in the early eighties, correct me if I'm wrong. If the drivers would need reconing and xovers reworked would they be worth the asking price, I may be able to get for less than the $125 price. I have to decide soon so I would really appreciate all replies. Thank you.
Jeff

05-09-2011, 09:31 AM
I would have already been there, brought them home and posted pics here...:D

grumpy
05-09-2011, 09:35 AM
If they are in decent shape and just need new surround replacements on the woofers
(not a given), that's a great price.

If they're missing grilles, beat cabinets, have the tweeters pushed in, and truly need
recones, then you could end up sinking -much- more than $125 into them to bring
them back ... much much more... It's unlikely the crossovers would need 'rework'.

Very nice speakers when working properly.

Ahblaza
05-09-2011, 09:44 AM
If they are in decent shape and just need new surround replacements on the woofers

If they're missing grilles, beat cabinets, have the tweeters pushed in, and truly need
them back ... much much more... It's unlikely the crossovers would need 'rework'.

Thanks Grumpy, I will take a look, that does not require any $ just gas $, Now that I know what to look for I feel better about checking them out. Thanks again my friend for the heads up, I keep you posted.
Cheers, Jeff

Ahblaza
05-09-2011, 09:49 AM
I would have already been there, brought them home and posted pics here...:D

Thanks 43 for the reply, the guy called yesterday after I left message and said they did not sell and would come down on the original asking price. It was just a small ad in local Pennysaver mag., not many people in my area even know about speakers and especially vintage JBL's, myself included.
Cheers, Jeff

Ahblaza
05-09-2011, 08:15 PM

Grump, I have not seen the 110's yet but spoke to the seller, he said he had the woofers reconed in the nineties, have not been used for four years and the midrange driver and tweeter have pushed in tweeter and midrange also, and the other speaker has the midrange driver also pushed in. What are your thoughts, he wants $100. Thanks in advance. Jeff

grumpy
05-10-2011, 08:22 AM
The midrange units (LE5-10 ?) are probably the easiest and possibly least expensive driver
to replace (used market).

You could likely still enjoy the sound (if not the look) of the pushed in midranges
while the hunt was on for replacements.

The tweeters (033) do show up on ebay now and then... it's -possible-
to disassemble and push out the tweeter dome, but it will really never be the same.

Good that the woofers were reconed, but it might be difficult to tell if JBL parts
(vs. less expensive aftermarket parts) were used, unless there is a specific receipt...
and they still might need new surrounds (foam edge).

Again, this could be a real money sink if you're not careful.

Tough call without seeing them. If the cabs were in really nice condition with grilles
-and- the woofers needed no work, $100 sounds pretty good.

Ahblaza
05-10-2011, 10:59 AM
The midrange units (LE5-10 ?) are probably the easiest and possibly least expensive driver
to replace (used market).

You could likely still enjoy the sound (if not the look) of the pushed in midranges
while the hunt was on for replacements.

The tweeters (033) do show up on ebay now and then... it's -possible-
to disassemble and push out the tweeter dome, but it will really never be the same.

Good that the woofers were reconed, but it might be difficult to tell if JBL parts
(vs. less expensive aftermarket parts) were used, unless there is a specific receipt...
and they still might need new surrounds (foam edge).

Again, this could be a real money sink if you're not careful.

Tough call without seeing them. If the cabs were in really nice condition with grilles
-and- the woofers needed no work, $100 sounds pretty good.

Grump, Thanks for the reply, I think I'm going to stay away, I don't have the money to pour down that sink, again trhanks my friend.
Jeff

Ahblaza
05-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Grump, Thanks for the reply, I think I'm going to stay away, I don't have the money to pour down that sink, again trhanks my friend.
Jeff

PS. I know the woofers were reconed locally here and not authorized JBL dealer or parts, and that was over fifteen years ago, just more reason to stay away.
Cheers, jeff