PDA

View Full Version : how do i protect my horns

muffin.47
04-08-2011, 02:36 PM
hi, im new, help me out guys. i got 511b with 808 8a drivers and a crown d-45 amp on them with no crossover and doubling the horns together what do i do to protect them from blowing. and do i play them in low? i have bass mid horn tweeter and a amp for each. i do have an ashley tunable crossover though. how do i do this? thanx :blink:

Eaulive
04-08-2011, 04:14 PM
You have to setup a crossover point on your ashley that corresponds to the usable bandwidth of your drivers.

However, it's always a good idea to put a capacitor inline with the HF drivers to protect them in case of amplifier failure.

I will let others chime in for the correct settings as I'm not too familiar with those specific models.

Meanwhile let us know what are the amplifiers you use, and if it's bi or tri-amplification.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

maxwedge
04-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Look over section 3-4 of the 5235 manual. Basically it's a 1st order passive x-over set an octave below your active x-over point.
http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vintage%20JBL-UREI%20Electronics/JBL-5235%20manual.pdf

Lee in Montreal
04-09-2011, 06:33 AM
A simple capacitor, set at 2 or 3 octaves below crossover frequency (way out of the pass band) will filter DC and not affect the sound. I believe there was a discussion three months ago about that.