PDA

View Full Version : BBE X-over

pyonc
03-06-2011, 04:59 AM
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with BBE Max-X3 crossover?
I don't see any thread on this crossover in this forum.
How does it sound, compared with Ashly XR1001 or DBX 223XL?
Thanks for any comments or feedback.

stephane RAME
03-06-2011, 07:43 AM
No,
But have a DS48, not expensive, but it is possible to find better.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?28196-Bbe-Ds48

Stéphane

BMWCCA
03-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Seems to be intended mostly for pro sound-reinforcement use. Amazon.com quotes:

. . . the Max-X3 has no equal at any price. Reviews there talk about the noise floor possibly not being low enough for home use. And then there's that digital processor which I can assume you can turn off that screws-up the sound on most TVs when engaged . . . :dont-know:

I reccomend this for outside the studio in live situations-not sure how the noise is in a studio situation as the maximizers tend to have a noisegate to release on a note then you hear the hiss-not noticeable in a live mix though.

richluvsound
03-06-2011, 09:15 AM
None of the actives you have named are of the pedigree needed to exemplify a Pass product . You'll hear the crossover and thats about it . However ,the analogue Ashley would be the best of class in my opinion .

Rich

BMWCCA
03-06-2011, 09:49 AM
None of the actives you have named are of the pedigree needed to exemplify a Pass product . You'll hear the crossover and that's about it . However, the analogue Ashley would be the best of class in my opinion . I can't argue since I have probably the least experience with this stuff of anyone here and have only heard what I own, but I'd like to understand what I would hear that would be caused by the crossover? I'm using the Ashly XR1001 with bi-amped 4345 Kenrick/Katz clones with lowly Crowns and all I hear is the music. Or what improvement would one expect shelling out $600+ for the highly-recommended Marchand (http://www.marchandelec.com/xm9.html)? :dont-know:

FWIW, I believe I paid $100 for my Ashly off Ebay and it's the U.S.-made pre-hyphen version. They currently seem to bring around $125 in good shape.

richluvsound
03-06-2011, 12:31 PM
The pro , or PA active crossover is not designed for low level critical Jazz listening . The gentlemen mentioned using a Pass Labs mono block set up in his other thread . He was asking advise about the three crossovers mentioned . I was stating that an amplifier of that calibre would reproduce sonic
colouration imparted by a pro or PA crossover .

BTW the marchand is at the bottom of the high-end crossover tree . The Ashley is highly regarded here -rated above the others mentioned .

For what he is thinking of doing ,I'm advising against the use of the a xover not designed for his application.

It would be like putting tractor tires on a Z8 .

Maybe in the future you would like to try a high quality crossover and a good Class A or Tube amp on the high end . I really think you would be able to appreciate the vast improvement .

Rich

BMWCCA
03-06-2011, 12:42 PM
It would be like putting tractor tires on a Z8 .

Thanks. Probably wouldn't bother the Z8 as much as it would an M5 though!

Lesser brands have the heritage for it:

50288 50289

pyonc
03-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Many thanks for your advice and comments.:applaud:
Based on your wise counsel,
at this point I think I have to stick to my current JBL M552 and Ashly XR1001,
rather than adventure about this BBE X-over.

By the way, I've A/Bd M552 and XR1001, but 4343 produces more jazzy, lively sound from jazz CDs or LPs than Ashly with the same settings on both X-overs. My own experience with both of them gives higher marks to M552, contrary to most of our forum members' preference for Ashly.