PDA

View Full Version : New Paragons for sale just add the drivers Do you think it is a scam?

mbottz
01-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Check out this e-bay add
http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-Paragon-inspired-speaker-enclosure-Not-original-/170595527799?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item27b8492c77

Here is the meat of the auction:
We are now offering this work or art and craftmanship built with Baltic Birch plywood, bending plywood and selected wood veneers manufactured from original drawings. You can choose wood species like: Mahogany, Cherry, Maple and Walnut (which is the one used in the pictures shown with a hand rubbed English Chestnut stain and several coats of acrylic lacquer). You can have your custom finished piece of art, with the incredible sound and performance, for only $7,800.
*PLEASE NOTE THAT THE LISTING PRICE ABOVE OF $4,000 IS ONLY A DEPOSIT AMOUNT, THE BALANCE WILL BE DUE UPON DELIVERY OR PICKUP.

We are working at this time also on another modern version with a surround sound capability so it can be used with a flat screen TV. It has an integrated center channel section and four more smaller enclosures, matching style and finish, ready for 6" coaxial speakers for surround sound. This new design is offered in the same wood species as above with dozens of stains and finishes. Custom details can be considered if you get in contact with us. This modern design with the center channel feature is offered for $7,300 in any of the wood species and finishes mentioned before. The four satellites enclosures can be added for $500 extra if you need them. Remember you are buying the cabinetry only, you supply the drivers, horns and crossovers.
*PLEASE NOTE THAT THE LISTING PRICE ABOVE OF $4,000 IS ONLY A DEPOSIT AMOUNT, THE BALANCE WILL BE DUE UPON DELIVERY OR PICKUP.

We are willing to deliver these beauties within a radius of 400 miles from Lake City, Florida for $400. Or delivery to Jacksonville, to a shipper for $200. It's up to you to arrange and pay the shipper costs, insurance and fees for the delivery to your place directly with him. We are just going to deliver the items and take pictures they are in pristine condition when they are left in the shipper's hands, you should get from them confirmation, at that time, that everything is perfect. We don't want to get involved in getting quotes or companies for the shipping, our zip code is 32071, the item weight is close to 700 pounds and the sizes for the three sections is made of are: left and right halves each is 52"w x 32"h x 31"d (about 330 pounds each). Front curved panel is 64"w x 28"h x 16"d (about 50 pounds). With this information you should be able to get your own quote.

hjames
01-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Lets see its an $7800 sale, half down at start - with no referrals on their work ...
The last sale was a $50 iPod Mini in pink ....
hmmm
ipod mini -=- Paragon ...

Paragon -=- iPod mini

louped garouv
01-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Lets see its an $7800 sale, half down at start - with no referrals on their work ...
The last sale was a $50 iPod Mini in pink ....
hmmm
ipod mini -=- Paragon ...

Paragon -=- iPod mini

on the other hand....

386 is a common lake city area code...
any memebers in NW florida?

MikeBrewster77
01-27-2011, 04:45 PM
I doubt it's a scam, per se, as in I'd bet that there really is a big hunk of furniture they created sitting somewhere just waiting for someone to plunk $7.3K down on.

That said, I don't even know where to start with the listing. Let's start at the top: "Best sound.... "

REALLY? :blink:

First off, how about no sound, since it doesn't come with drivers? Second (and no offense meant to any Paragon owners) REALLY???? I mean, seriously???

All that aside, Heather's point about lack of referenceable prior work begs the question of precision and craftsmanship of the piece.

Mr. Widget
01-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Oh, come on guys... someone with a lot of time on their hands is trying to make a little extra money by building a Paragon clone using the readily available plans. It is probably a good quality copy of a popular old design.

They may be able to sell a few Paragons, but undoubtedly they would have an easier time of it if they were able to offer more info about their previous work, show a significant knowledge of the product and offer a set of drivers and networks for those who don't already have most or all of the parts.

I wish them good luck.

Widget

Titanium Dome
01-28-2011, 02:24 AM
I'm just trying to figure out what the hell that blue thing is on top in the first photo. :dont-know: Are they selling any of those?

EDIT: Okay, I gotta stop drinking the LIIT. It's a reflection from outside through the open door behind it. :spin:

mbottz
01-28-2011, 07:38 AM
When I posted yesterday there were 5 days left. Now the ad is deleted. Maybe it was just a dream. Thats it just a dream! hmmm

mb