PDA

View Full Version : Dear UPS Guy:

MikeBrewster77
01-14-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm really sorry that these boxes were, as you put it, "kinda heavy." I'm glad I saw you coming since apparently you had no compunctions about just stashing several thousand dollars worth of audio equipment behind my car in the driveway. You're a cunning guy -- way to really hide an item that might be of value! It's cool though -- I'm sure no one would have even seen them there. I'm also glad that when I opened the door - y'know, the one you never knocked on to see if anyone was home - that I was able to meet you at the first set of steps so I could just carry the boxes myself because you sure looked like you were struggling.

P.S., If you think you hated me today, just wait about oh, I dunno ... a week to a week and a half. If 65lbs had you struggling, 130 should be interesting as hell!

Sincerely,
- Mike

4313B
01-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Well fire it all up and make sure they didn't break anything. :yes:

MikeBrewster77
01-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Well fire it all up and make sure they didn't break anything. :yes:

Suprisingly not -- Harman packaged them well!!! :)

clmrt
01-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Can't wait for more pics, in situ...

clmrt
01-14-2011, 06:58 PM
...what would be 130#?

:dont-know:

Krunchy
01-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Hi Mike,
What you described there seems to be part of their MO, I cant remember the last time they even rang the doorbell at my home for a delivery, maybe I should be tipping them :blink:
Funny thing is, I thought I had already paid for the item to be shipped, doorbell ringing & signature...thats extra, kinda like going above & beyond the call of duty :dont-know:

1audiohack
01-14-2011, 08:09 PM
When you ship anything of value simply check the "Adult Signature Required". If they just drop it and run and it disappears it's on them.

MikeBrewster77
01-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Can't wait for more pics, in situ...

Coming soon, I promise! :)

...what would be 130#?

:dont-know:

The shipping weight of a single Ti10k. Wait 'til he realizes there's two of them that have to be delivered. I'm thinking his reaction might somewhat akin to this: :frantic:

What you described there seems to be part of their MO, I cant remember the last time they even rang the doorbell at my home for a delivery, maybe I should be tipping them :blink:
Funny thing is, I thought I had already paid for the item to be shipped, doorbell ringing & signature...thats extra, kinda like going above & beyond the call of duty :dont-know:

Disappointing -- I thought items over a certain declared value automatically required signature. Guess not... :no:

When you ship anything of value simply check the "Adult Signature Required". If they just drop it and run and it disappears it's on them.

Possibly a stupid/novice question, but can I as a buyer request that? Especially if the seller is offering free shipping???

1audiohack
01-14-2011, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=MikeBrewster77
Disappointing -- I thought items over a certain declared value automatically required signature. Guess not..

Possibly a stupid/novice question, but can I as a buyer request that? Especially if the seller is offering free shipping???[/QUOTE]

I can't imagine why not. If I remeber Monday I will see if it adds to the cost of a residential delivery. The only time I actually set up to ship is if I cannot find our "shipping and loosing" guy

Altec Best
01-15-2011, 01:49 PM
I refuse to use UPS anymore for any kind of audio equipment.I bought a pair of woofers (416-8B's) and when I went out to meet the driver to save the guy (struggling) up the steps as there are quite a few outside.As I approached the truck I seen this package flying through the air and bouncing of the ground.I asked is that my Fragile Package you are throwing,dropping,punting through the uprights,etc... And he looked at me like this. :blink:

Then I proceeded to take all his info I could, name,rank,and serial #'s and told him if he would like me to come over to his house and ransack his home furnishing's ,as it could be arranged free of charge.Lazy ($&#@?) Needless to say I was fuming.The Fedex/USPS guys are a little better I mean a little! This is Ridiculous, Insurance is Mandatory because of these idiots.This one particular driver gives them all a Bad Name.:( Anything over 100 Lbs. and big and bulky I seriously consider freight,with a pallet,etc... The less someone has to touch or pickup my packages the better.

Lee in Montreal
01-16-2011, 06:24 AM
I have one 48lbs Yamaha P2200 coming from Caifornia by FedEx next week and a PC2002 by UPS on Monday. It's a pity that teletransportation technology hasn't been created yet. I wish I could be "faxed" a power amp or a pair of 200lbs cabinets, skipping all the handling. ;)

localhost127
01-16-2011, 08:21 AM
please post your comments re: the HK 990! im thinking of picking one up to replace my HK 3490 cheers!

MikeBrewster77
01-16-2011, 08:54 AM
please post your comments re: the HK 990! im thinking of picking one up to replace my HK 3490 cheers!

Some of my initial thoughts are posted over here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29845-Jbl-ls-series-(toronto-canada)&p=303324&viewfull=1#post303324

Yeah, I know that based on the thread title you might be surprised that they're hiding in there, but sometimes we get a little off topic around here... :p

That said, it's very, VERY safe to say that the HK990 is leaps and bounds above the 3490 you have today. I mean, not even in the same league.... You absolutely could not go wrong in terms of it being a noticeable upgrade.

MikeBrewster77
01-16-2011, 08:58 AM
I have one 48lbs Yamaha P2200 coming from Caifornia by FedEx next week and a PC2002 by UPS on Monday. It's a pity that teletransportation technology hasn't been created yet. I wish I could be "faxed" a power amp or a pair of 200lbs cabinets, skipping all the handling. ;)

While I don't think we'll see it in our lifetime, that would be damned cool. Then again, if I could have large-ticket items on-demand, I'd probably have an even harder time with my impulse control, so perhaps it's not such a bad thing. Consider it the functional equivalent of the waiting period for purchasing a handgun. :p

brutal
01-16-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm really sorry that these boxes were, as you put it, "kinda heavy." I'm glad I saw you coming since apparently you had no compunctions about just stashing several thousand dollars worth of audio equipment behind my car in the driveway. You're a cunning guy -- way to really hide an item that might be of value! It's cool though -- I'm sure no one would have even seen them there. I'm also glad that when I opened the door - y'know, the one you never knocked on to see if anyone was home - that I was able to meet you at the first set of steps so I could just carry the boxes myself because you sure looked like you were struggling.

P.S., If you think you hated me today, just wait about oh, I dunno ... a week to a week and a half. If 65lbs had you struggling, 130 should be interesting as hell!

Sincerely,
- Mike

Didn't they ship blind double box? Bad form if not.

Hi Mike,

Guess I'm lucky, My UPS and FedEx guys/gals are great about ringing the bell and/or hiding stuff. However, I think they know by now I'm usually home (work from home 80%).

Disappointing -- I thought items over a certain declared value automatically required signature. Guess not... :no:

Possibly a stupid/novice question, but can I as a buyer request that? Especially if the seller is offering free shipping???

Don't know, that's likely up to the shipper, but you might be able to call UPS once you have the tracking number and have it added. I missed checking that option shipping a receiver to a buyer and sweated the whole time between it showing "delivered" and until I got a reply from the buyer he had received it.

MikeBrewster77
01-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Didn't they ship blind double box? Bad form if not.

They did - the picture was just more to show the "pretty" boxes. They were well-packaged, and the 65lb shipping estimate would have included the double boxing and packing materials. The unit itself only weighs 50lbs.

Guess I'm lucky, My UPS and FedEx guys/gals are great about ringing the bell and/or hiding stuff. However, I think they know by now I'm usually home (work from home 80%).

You are lucky! I work from home any time I'm not traveling to clients, and my car was in the driveway the day of delivery. Still, not so much as a knock at the door.

... you might be able to call UPS once you have the tracking number and have it added...

Good thought -- I'll give them a call tomorrow.