PDA

View Full Version : altec in germany

joerg
01-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Hello everybody in this great forum!
My name is Joerg, i am living in germany. And: I spent my first days with that great american altec sound!
A couple of weeks ago, I got this: 3 bass-enclosures with Altec 3156 bass woofers, 2 299-8a drivers with 564 Mantaray-horns and 1285 crossovers. The local movie-theatre had them stocked, but no use for them in the digital world, with less and less people willing to leave their homes for watching movies.
So the speakers found a new home! Right now they are playing the Hi-Lo's in a cold bavarian night. Next: Ray Charles.
If everthing works out find there will be a photo atached to this post: this is the enclosure, build for cinema use.
And will Ray is playing the piano very nicely, i am asking myself: can i do something, to make them speakers even better. I am new to the Altec-World, so i ask the experts here:
- enclosure: good, bad, strange?
- if bad, what would be better?
- should i replace the caps in the crossovers?
- should i sell the woofers and buy a different Altec-modell?
- what woofer?
- but what will be the result?
- should i built some kind of frame for the horns?
- should i replace the horns?
- why is my english so bad?

lots of questions, I know. It would be really great if someone can help me, as the speakers seem to be great but just the beginning....

thanks again for this great place!49341

-

richluvsound
01-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Hi,
welcome and congratulations on your find ....

I would be tempted to rotate the bass cabinet to get more distance between woofer and the floor ..
You are getting a lot of sound bouncing off the hardwood floor ...

Think of finding a horn with greater horizontal dispersion too ! maybe a multicell !

just opinions and suggestions .

above all enjoy them !

Rich

CONVERGENCE
01-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Hello everybody in this great forum!
My name is Joerg, i am living in germany. And: I spent my first days with that great american altec sound!
A couple of weeks ago, I got this: 3 bass-enclosures with Altec 3156 bass woofers, 2 299-8a drivers with 564 Mantaray-horns and 1285 crossovers. The local movie-theatre had them stocked, but no use for them in the digital world, with less and less people willing to leave their homes for watching movies.
So the speakers found a new home! Right now they are playing the Hi-Lo's in a cold bavarian night. Next: Ray Charles.
If everthing works out find there will be a photo atached to this post: this is the enclosure, build for cinema use.
And will Ray is playing the piano very nicely, i am asking myself: can i do something, to make them speakers even better. I am new to the Altec-World, so i ask the experts here:
- enclosure: good, bad, strange?
- if bad, what would be better?
- should i replace the caps in the crossovers?
- should i sell the woofers and buy a different Altec-modell?
- what woofer?
- but what will be the result?
- should i built some kind of frame for the horns?
- should i replace the horns?
- why is my english so bad?

lots of questions, I know. It would be really great if someone can help me, as the speakers seem to be great but just the beginning....

thanks again for this great place!49341

-

Congratulations

What you have is An Altec A6 with one woofer per cabinet.
This version came with either 3 size of HF horns. Many grand theaters still have them they are better sounding then the JBL version. Keep them as they are.

Check the following description.

http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage/SpeakerAndMics/systems/A6%20series%20VOTT%20Speaker%20System.pdf

lowpoke
01-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Nice find. I wish I could find stuff like that! :D

joerg
01-11-2011, 02:32 AM
hi,

thanks for the input!!

so i will turn the speakers upside down today. I was thinking about that too, but from my open baffle experience i thought, maybe these reflections make the bass stronger....

as i have a third woofer, should i buy another one? To put two woofers per side??? For better and louder bass?

best
joerg