PDA

View Full Version : ok you can call me ambitious if you want!

coruphius
12-27-2010, 10:40 PM
ok, cause i have crazy ideas in my head and i have a major DIY bug and the love of jbl's especially the LE series speakers. i havnt had the time to DIY yet or gather the components, but here is something i want to work on. as i said in the title i think it may be ambitious but it may work.

okay, i want to do a 4-way system (inspired on the 250ti 4 way but different midbass driver and diff tweeter)

i want to do a 4 ohm setup, so there will be included in this setup:

2 pairs (have one pair) LE14 (A1 series if possible to match the ones i have)
2 pairs of LE10's (not too sure which ones)
2 pairs of LE5-2's (had a pair and i was satisfied with them)

im trying to work out what i want for the tweeter. cause im using multiple drivers i may need a horn to keep up with the sensitivity with the other drivers, but theres also something on my mind. did jbl bring out 4 ohm compression drivers? or can i integrate an 8 ohm driver without comprimising the 4 ohm setup?

i might have to make a customised crossover with L-pads or i could to the active way, little expensive but im up for it.

kinda sounds a bit over the top with this setup, but thats just how i like it :bouncy:

BMWCCA
12-27-2010, 10:52 PM
One question: Where the heck is Autralia? :dont-know:

coruphius (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?2176-coruphius)http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/statusicon/user-online.png

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/image.php?u=2176&dateline=1144067537 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?2176-coruphius)
Join Date Jul 2005
Location Autralia
Posts 31

coruphius
12-27-2010, 11:02 PM
lol i need to fix that, i mean Australia lol

OKAY!! fixed location, now on to the real deal... any takers for help, i know you guys are viewing this thread but arnt man enough to tell me (or flame me) about if it's very ambitious haha

Woody Banks
12-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Would this work for you? XPL 250
046Ti (8 Ohm)
093Ti (4 Ohm)
112H (8 Ohm)
LE14-H (8 Ohm)

Uncle Paul
12-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Thought it was 035Tia on the XPL250's?

Titanium Dome
12-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Thought it was 035Tia on the XPL250's?

Nope. Woody nailed it, which, metaphorically speaking, is an interesting concept.

richluvsound
12-28-2010, 09:49 AM
If your idea was worth the effort in any way shape or form I think Greg would have done it !

Sorry ... the frequency response will not work .... look at the specs for your proposed components .

Rich

Robh3606
12-28-2010, 10:35 AM
What are you trying to do?? An MTM L 250Ti?? Why not just stick with a known formula? You are definately going to need some kind of custom crossover.

Rob:)

speakerdave
12-28-2010, 12:36 PM
I suggest you try to recognize your idea as a malformed JBL three-way with added subwoofer. If you like the LE10 series, as who would not, and are after a classic JBL direct radiator sound (oh, yeah, I meant to say, a horn tweeter is not a good idea here) consider building (better to buy, actually) one of the classic 10" three-ways (4313B, L96) and add a subwoofer with its own amp and an electronic crossover. And then spend your spare time doing something else, like listening to music with that sweet classic JBL sound.

coruphius
12-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks guys for your replies and comments, i do like the idea similar to the XPL250's i think i was a bit over ambitious haha! i do want to use my LE14A1's within some sort of configuration and a pair of LE10's.

and oh wow, those 093Ti's are VERY VERY sexy! I used to own a pair of 044ti's before my ex fiance made me sell my vintage equipment.

ill do a bit more researching for ideas and then ill come up with a conclusion.

for sub duties (unfortunatly not JBL) I have a 15" Exodus Tempest x2 in a "experimental" 5.5 cubed Dual ported box tuned to ~30hz for music and for when i wanna watch movies (since i dont have a HP filter) clog one of the ports up so the sub doesnt drastically unload under 20hz. lets just say that one sub (which moves 4 litres of air per stroke) can make every door in the house move from the pressure that thing has. i will eventually be putting it into a Tuba HT horn when i get around to it.