PDA

View Full Version : Gates turntable question

Charley Rummel
08-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Hi, everyone:

First, thank you all for your prayers and best wishes for my son's recovery. He's got a ways to go yet, but he's coming along nicely and he's going back to school on schedule (without gym, recess, fun stuff, etc.).

I have a Gates 16 inch turntable w/ Microtrack arm and Stanton cartridge which I acquired around 1980 from a radio station. I've decided it's time to put new felt on the platter; the old original felt took a real beating while in service.

Question: What's a good safe process for removing the old felt?

Regards,
Charley Rummel

scott fitlin
08-20-2004, 10:37 AM
I might look into adhesive and glue remover chemicals available from parts express, and look for something in solution form. Then I would apply the solution to the felt, and let it seep down into the glue. This might require more than one application, and you will know you got it when the felt comes off easily!

Of course, you want to make sure you can get a chemical that wont stain the metal!

boputnam
08-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Sounds like a perfect application for MEK.

But, be VERY well ventilated, and it is very, very inflammable.

scott fitlin
08-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by boputnam
Sounds like a perfect application for MEK.

But, be VERY well ventilated, and it is very, very inflammable. Yes, MEK will do the job, I forgot about that stuff! But its not only flammable, its very noxious too. You dont want to breathe it in too much or you will be lightheaded!

Charley Rummel
08-21-2004, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a try (in a well ventilated area, of course...).

morbo!
10-25-2005, 08:37 PM
:D and then in an enclosed space with a cigarette

louped garouv
10-26-2005, 11:57 AM
used for ??? early radio spots/commercials?

what speeds?

cool.....