PDA

View Full Version : Sat/Sub systems ???

SEAWOLF97
12-02-2010, 10:20 AM
got a call from a friend who has acquired and is falling in love with a pr. of L212's ....that got me wondering...:confused:

except for the occasional 212 user, most of the forum members seem to be "full range" , with added sub kinda listeners ??

Are we all so traumatized by boze and the various computer speaker systems that we just take sat/sub off the radar ?? :eek:

or

do we use full range + sub so as to gain 3 LF sources ? :bouncy:

or

are we just a bunch of "old skoolers" who just don't keep up with the trends ?? :crying:

grumpy
12-02-2010, 10:31 AM
watching a movie containing a line like "Get to the chopper!" means I turn on the sub.

Other than with certain types of music, I can find a sub distracting... and already
have the real estate set aside for large-ish full range systems, so there isn't much
missing that I want to hear. With music where that bottom octave really adds to
the experience, I do enjoy having the sub option.

SEAWOLF97
12-02-2010, 10:42 AM
watching a movie containing a line like "Get to the chopper!" means I turn on the sub.

I have never, even in real theaters, found any system close to the real thing. You just get to pick from various approximations..;)

4313B
12-02-2010, 10:42 AM
The L212 system did pretty well with the media of the day. One didn't have to constantly fiddle with the sub level to enjoy the media.

A proper system today would have an easily accessible volume remote for the subs.

timc
12-02-2010, 12:42 PM
On a lot of music, there is extreme dynamic range in the midrange area. This can make small satelites compress quite much, even if crossed over to a sub in the bottom. Nothing is like a powerful opera voice comming from a 10"+ midrange/midwoofer ;)

Try that with a small 2way standmount with the usual 5 1/4" woofer, and it all goes wrong. Pipe organ music is another example.

SEAWOLF97
12-02-2010, 04:54 PM
The L212 system did pretty well with the media of the day. One didn't have to constantly fiddle with the sub level to enjoy the media.

A proper system today would have an easily accessible volume remote for the subs.

can the L212 be called a sat/sub or is there a better term for it ??

rgrjit8
12-10-2010, 02:12 PM
This is me.

"do we use full range + sub so as to gain 3 LF sources ? :bouncy:"

I know it's overkill with the 4355s, but I use a sub set at 71 Hz and below.
It makes me feel like I'm lying on a trampoline with people all around it plucking the springs.