PDA

View Full Version : Interesting popularity factoid

SEAWOLF97
11-30-2010, 04:35 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Research

Wiki says....

AR went on to introduce many other notable designs, and by 1966 the company had grown to hold 32.2% of the U.S. domestic loudspeaker market, based on the IHFM and *High Fidelity* surveys statistics for that year. This was the largest product market-share (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market-share) ever held by a loudspeaker manufacturer since statistics have been kept in the industry. :dont-know:

jcrobso
12-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I compared them to JBL and like JBL better.
The consumers report endorsement helped AR big time.
CR said JBL were to expensive, CR all wise for the low $$$ item. AR listening panels never took into account listening fatigue, but were based on the quick comparison.:crying:

Mr. Widget
12-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Back then AR invented acoustic suspension, and dome radiators... two staples of the loudspeaker arsenal...

What was JBL up to? JBL copied the Klipschorn and refined the designs that came out of Bell Labs... they were beautifully built, but JBL was not nearly as innovative in their designs as AR was.

As for cost? Look at the sloppy hot glued messes that AR threw together compared to the fine furniture and high precision drivers that JBL was offering. It is no wonder that JBL products cost so much. Which sounded better? That is quite subjective, I'd say both brands had some great sounding products and some clunkers.

Widget

Titanium Dome
12-01-2010, 12:17 PM
AR gear looked like mid-quality DIY efforts. ^^^hot glued mess^^^

JBL gear looked like craftsman quality.

Looking at AR products convinced my buddy and me that we could build our own speakers, which we did using all the woodworking tools in his neighbors extensive woodworking shop. With the native red oak cabs, 15" woofers, and Allied Radio mid and tweeter, and Allied Xover, they were a thing of beauty to behold but didn't sound as good as the ARs.

With the new JBL L100s I bought, I got the beautiful craftsmanship and the great sound all in one package. :yes:

EDIT: No, I do not consider the L100 a clunker, so don't anyone try to start a fight with me. :biting:

SEAWOLF97
12-01-2010, 12:29 PM
my big upgrade in '72 was a pair of AR3's (seems quaint now) ...L100's were just too expensive ($273 ea.)

The AR's had overwhelming bass , but mids/highs were somewhat reserved..:(

My AR90's are a different story ( response 23hz-20khz)

Titanium Dome
12-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Those were the only JBLs I ever paid full price for, but they were worth it. Still working today and still bringing a smile to my face.