PDA

View Full Version : Bss fds-336t

Titanium Dome
11-24-2010, 09:02 PM
After multiple futile searches, I'm starting a thread to see whom among us has used, plans to use, or currently uses the BSS DFS-33T in its various iterations. I have an opportunity to pick up a pair, but a bargain is not a bargain if there's a reason to avoid it.

Your thoughts and comments please...

http://www.bssaudio.com/product_downloads/User_Manuals/fds336Tum.pdf

EDIT: BTW, what's with the software's refusal to let me capitalize BSS and FDS in the titles?

Tim Rinkerman
11-26-2010, 12:07 PM
The displays go blank after about a year...other than that, they,re OK.

I should qualify that by saying most of them that we installed (36) are left on 24/7..six of the ones that are only used occasionally still went blank.

BSS has gotten really bad since Harman bought them.

Mr. Widget
11-26-2010, 01:37 PM
EDIT: BTW, what's with the software's refusal to let me capitalize BSS and FDS in the titles?Don't know... I tried to edit your title and it didn't save the changes.

Widget

4313B
11-26-2010, 02:35 PM
EDIT: BTW, what's with the software's refusal to let me capitalize BSS and FDS in the titles?It's an ongoing issue. Don "fixed" it a time or two but it's broken again.

Titanium Dome
11-27-2010, 10:58 AM
The displays go blank after about a year...other than that, they,re OK.

I should qualify that by saying most of them that we installed (36) are left on 24/7..six of the ones that are only used occasionally still went blank.

BSS has gotten really bad since Harman bought them.

Thanks Tim. If you will, please answer these follow ups. :)

If set up in a permanent install, will they keep doing the job even if the displays quit?

Can you continue to control them via software even without the display?

If you could get a working pair for a few hundred bucks would you, or is there something else for under $1k that would perform essentially the same functions at the level of flexibility and control of the 336T?

Tim Rinkerman
11-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Yes, they do keep working as they should, and if the software shows the same functions as the display, you should have no problems controlling them.
I believe the problem is in the display chip itself...too bad really, other wise they are one of the better new era BSS products...
BSS... Bring Some Spares....Broken Sound Systems...

grumpy
03-14-2011, 09:27 AM
They're alive. Updated firmware to 2.06 which let the currently available version
of London Architect (BSS control/configure software) recognize them.
This could be fun :) ... 6ch of ganged/balanced attenuation between the 366
and amps for a system volume control? Doable, just not so fun.

mikeharris
03-15-2011, 09:00 AM
366 OR 336 ??

Quite different

grumpy
03-15-2011, 03:26 PM
366 Omnidrive, not 336 Minidrive.

grumpy
03-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Verified a Macbook running Win7 under Parallels attached to an FDS-336 Omnidrive via
a hokey USB/serial interface can support London Architect and allow for hours of stupid
fun controlling an actively driven set of Performance Series drivers in an old L250
cabinet. Note that no actual listening took place (although I still have an old Neville
Brothers song stuck in my head... Thanks Dome). Still, it was an interesting exercise
in learning the software, capabilities of the DSP box, and how long iterating between
them and a measurement system really takes (i.e., -way- shorter than soldering up a
custom hardware crossover). These are some pretty cool tools to be able to play with!
(easy to over-tweak)

Not too bad a result from a morning of jerking around in a garage
(I think setup/teardown took more time):

Ah, and I learned how to upload custom screens to the 366 (much to TiDome's dismay ;)):

JuniorJBL
05-09-2011, 05:22 AM
Thats Great Grumpy!!:applaud:

I will forever look for Dome's mug on my DSP units!:D