View Full Version : Sources ??

SEAWOLF97
11-24-2010, 06:01 PM
wondering what y'all use for music sources ??? can vote for as many as you need

WDJ
11-24-2010, 06:22 PM
CD: Nakamichi MB-1S
CD: Nakamichi MB2-S
TT: Thorens TD-166 MkIII (w/Ortofon SL15E)
TT: HK Rabco ST7 (w/Ortofon MC20)
Tuner: Marantz 125
Tuner: McIntosh MR74

I rebuilt the Rabco many years ago from parts from one a customer had actually taken a hammer too.

And the Thorens spins on thanks to Seawolf!:applaud:

I bought several NOS Ortofon cartridges years ago. I think I have one of each of these left in unused condition.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

cosmos
11-24-2010, 07:30 PM
wondering what y'all use for music sources ??? can vote for as many as you need
Did you leave out FM Radio and Ipods on purpose?

hjames
11-24-2010, 08:28 PM
CDs/SACD/DVDs; Albums-LPs\etc; Music loaded to Mac server - & replayed via iTunes\Airtunes ...

iTunes via server is VERY convenient when I am not doing conscious listening and just want background music ...

I do listen to radio/NPR for the occasional music show, rare news or other material ...

Titanium Dome
11-24-2010, 08:51 PM

I didn't vote since many of my major sources weren't there.

For music only, I regularly use

CD/CD single
SACD
DVD-A
Bluray
FLAC on USB
itunes/iPod/iPad/AirPlay/iPhone/MacBook Pro
metal casette (yes really)
Laserdisc PCM
VHS PCM
vinyl LP and 45rpm single
Internet streaming
FM

the Spirit of Scott Fitlin :dj-party:

SEAWOLF97
11-25-2010, 11:04 AM

no, I saw that afterwards..but you cant mod poll questions after inception

CDs/SACD/DVDs; Albums-LPs\etc; Music loaded to Mac server - & replayed via iTunes\Airtunes ...

iTunes via server is VERY convenient when I am not doing conscious listening and just want background music ...

I do listen to radio/NPR for the occasional music show, rare news or other material ...

guess it shud have been "streaming - net/otherwise"

yggdrasil
11-26-2010, 12:24 AM
It seems I can edit the poll, and probably add some choices. If that's wanted, just tell me the exact changes wanted.

On the other hand, those who have voted will not be able to vote again, so it might be more correct to redo the choices in a new poll.

DS-21
11-26-2010, 01:22 AM
I voted digital disks and vinyl disks, but in truth everything that's not SACD or DVD-A has been burned to my iTunes library in Apple Lossless format. That gets distributed by either direct digital connection or by Apple AirPort Expresses. (I'll likely be adding an AppleTV in the near future.)

Zero loss of fidelity, and no risk of damaging records by continuing to drag a rock through their grooves.

I would burn the SACD's and DVD-A's to iTunes too, if I could figure out how.

SEAWOLF97
11-26-2010, 09:22 AM
It seems I can edit the poll, and probably add some choices. If that's wanted, just tell me the exact changes wanted.

On the other hand, those who have voted will not be able to vote again, so it might be more correct to redo the choices in a new poll.

yup , it ain't perfect....lets take all the suggestions and redo into a proper new poll , so that TD and others can vote.

could you do that yggdrasil ???
(http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?1127-yggdrasil)

Hooster
11-26-2010, 12:21 PM
FLAC through USB is my favorite source.

SEAWOLF97
11-26-2010, 03:42 PM
well , if you look at early voting results (before the lawyers get called in ) ...
100% use some sort of shiny disk for a source ...and exactly half use records...
and nearly half use some type of digital stream.

those are the trends that I was wondering abt. :confused:

just pick the closest ..if yours isnt exactly spelled out..

Mr. Widget
11-27-2010, 11:17 AM
just pick the closest ..if yours isnt exactly spelled out..Hmmm... I don't stream anything from the net while at home, but I do use my iPod with lossless files and an outboard DAC for 80% of my listening, records about 19% and CDs/SACDs at less than 1%. In my system there is no sonic improvement with silver discs so I don't bother with them... a few months back when I had a visiting $15K Mark Levinson CD/SACD player that sounded better than my ipod/DAC... 90% of my playback was with the silver discs.

I am not sure how to fill out the poll to indicate this mix.

Widget

SEAWOLF97
11-27-2010, 12:14 PM
I am not sure how to fill out the poll to indicate this mix.
Widget

could you fix the poll as Johnny suggested ??

trends ???

"burps & farts" are nearly 5 percent ahead of "XM/Sirius" :eek:

Mr. Widget
11-27-2010, 12:35 PM
could you fix the poll as Johnny suggested ??

trends ???

"burps & farts" are nearly 5 percent ahead of "XM/Sirius" :eek:I think the best solution is start a new thread and poll and delete this thread.

Seems we have a large contingent of bean eating beer drinkers.

Widget

SEAWOLF97
11-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Seems we have a large contingent of bean eating beer drinkers.
Widget

cerveza + tacos + JBL's ....sounds like a winning combo... :D:bouncy::applaud::eek: