PDA

View Full Version : D.C. Area Get Togeher

svollmer
11-15-2010, 08:25 AM
We had one of our get togethers this weekend and thought some of you might like to see some pictures (the faces behind the names). It was my turn to host this time. The listening room isn't 100% complete, but it is complete enough to give it a try and for me to get some good feedback from some trusted ears who know great sound.

The subs were installed and up and running the day before the event. They've been re-foamed recently as well. I've been moving the main speakers back and forth, left and right trying to get them in the sweet spot.

In a nutshell, we all thought the sound was pretty good and full overall. However, the subs were less than overwhelming. When I used them last, in my old home, the subs were absolutely overwhelming - in a very good way. They used to reach down so low that you could feel pressure waves coming at you, hitting you in the gut, and then going past you. I'm referring to the real infrasonic stuff, not just bass drum hits. One difference is that I was runing the subs in stereo, whereas I used to run them in mono. I'll have to make that change and see if it makes a difference.

But, we still had a great time, and the gang is a great group of folks.

It's a little fuzzy, but here's a picture of Heather (hjames), Mark (opimax), Wilfredo (unsure of Wilfredo's handle), and Wilfredo's friend Troy.

svollmer
11-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Here's a picture of the gang listening to some Eric Clapton:

svollmer
11-15-2010, 08:30 AM
And a picture of them listening to my band, "Vollmer", doing a heavy metal version of The Beatles: ;)

svollmer
11-15-2010, 08:32 AM
And now for some of just Mark. Here's Mark with one of the Focus:

svollmer
11-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Mark couldn't tell if the subs were running or not, so he thought he'd check up close: :blink:

svollmer
11-15-2010, 08:36 AM
We had a great day and a lot of fun. If you're in the DC Metro area, or can make it, let us know and you'll be invited next time!

Steve

dkalsi
11-15-2010, 08:51 AM
We had a great day and a lot of fun. If you're in the DC Metro area, or can make it, let us know and you'll be invited next time!

Steve

Count me in next time.. Are those the dual 2245H subs?

svollmer
11-15-2010, 10:43 AM

Yes, based on the Audio magazine article by Greg Timbers. These are the 12 cubic foot cabinet versions.

hjames
11-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Steve - thanks so much for hosting this bash! It was lots of fun, food was great, your system sounds superb in 2.1 mode (even if you are being fussy about your big subs) the bass was very tight and snappy - those Legacy speakers are gorgeous, and please, have us back when the surrounds are installed and connected!

Between your pair of nicely-built 2245 subs and stack of big Adcoms - what's not to like?
:D

spkrman57
11-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Wish I lived close enough to join you all!

Regards, Ron

opimax
11-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Steve - thanks so much for hosting this bash! It was lots of fun, food was great, your system sounds superb in 2.1 mode (even if you are being fussy about your big subs) the bass was very tight and snappy - those Legacy speakers are gorgeous, and please, have us back when the surrounds are installed and connected!

Between your pair of nicely-built 2245 subs and stack of big Adcoms - what's not to like?
:D

to answer your question, my pictures LOL, I was hoping the "college days" picture would have made it.
These events are great! I even remarked lets do this more often...then it was said it is my turn again...and I slinked away.

Actually i will be happy to have people over...when is the question??? after 12/18 which would go to 12/25 to 1/1 to I would think 1/10 weekend would be the best time, comments? I will have to do/buy something new , peer pressure, look forward to that too :) :)

in the mean time I am hoping to get a pair of 250 over to Steve's house to see how they sound in a room that doesn't make bass dissapear as my whole house does. also some real higher end and current equipment might improve them too

Mark

PS We were told to make faces for the camera, not quite my natural pose

Titanium Dome
11-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Looks like a great time. These events are the key to keeping a forum like this alive: getting like-minded folks together who would never meet otherwise.

And "they" say the Internet makes us more isolated and less connected. :moon:

opimax
11-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Looks like a great time. These events are the key to keeping a forum like this alive: getting like-minded folks together who would never meet otherwise.

And "they" say the Internet makes us more isolated and less connected. :moon:

I will be happy to post about it before hand , for those that say they will be stopping by please do and if you can't make it don't say you will.

They aren't all JBL, or even all audio stuff. Certainly based there but we actually have fun!! (except Heather, she is just so serious !! lmao)

Mark

hjames
11-15-2010, 08:05 PM

Great roaring monsters ...
Steve insisted they were louder in his old house!
Although with the bass traps and refoaming them in-between, I'll bet they will be once they break in!

Steve has built square full-height bass traps in the corners of the room (the yellow stacked firm fiberglass column in the 2x4 frames) -
and has his older designed traps he used before nearby (the round columns behind his main Legacy speakers - looks like a hot water heater!) ...

I think with all those bass traps in the room he may be losing something there ... but what do I know ...?

All I know is, it was a lot of fun!

svollmer
11-16-2010, 06:50 AM
to answer your question, my pictures LOL, I was hoping the "college days" picture would have made it.

Be careful what you ask for.....:applaud:

Seriously, Mark was just playing for the camera. The empty "Sammie" bottle next to him was mine.

Titanium Dome
11-16-2010, 11:44 AM
he has built square full-height bass traps in the corners of the room (the yellow stacked firm fiberglass column in the 2x4 frames) -
and has his older designed traps he used before nearby (the round columns behind his main Legacy speakers - looks like a hot water heater!) ...

That was my first thought: Is that a water heater? :rotfl: Then I figured it was a bass trap.

svollmer
11-16-2010, 12:57 PM
That was my first thought: Is that a water heater? :rotfl: Then I figured it was a bass trap.

Well, I was a plumber for 20 years, so I'm kind of partial to pipes and cylinders. :D

opimax
11-16-2010, 02:02 PM
I like the Blue Barf that came out of my mouth whilre past out drinking beer :)

For those that know me I dont drink beer so they know this is an act. i drink , just sweet drinks

I yelled "want to see my college days?" plopped down "passed out" in front of the speakers, hmm I thnk i know why I never finished , lol

It is a great time on every one of our get togethers, usuallly learn sopmething , hear something different, and just have FUN!

Mark

hjames
11-16-2010, 03:44 PM
yes! Lots of grinning and laughing ... a good group of folks!
Tho we did miss John and Phil who had elsewhere plans that day ... mebbe next time!

BMWCCA
11-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Tho we did miss John and Phil who had elsewhere plans that day ... mebbe next time!Believe me, I know how much fun you guys have and I'd have much rather been there! :frantic:

Fred Sanford
11-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Tho we did miss John and Phil who had elsewhere plans that day ... mebbe next time!

Unfortunately, I was busy playing with other big JBLs in Richmond that weekend...SR4718 subs on the PA, plus E140 + 2135 drivers in the stage amps.

I'll try to catch you all next time around!

hjames
04-30-2017, 04:42 AM
Hard to believe the time has passed! We had ANOTHER Mid-Atlantic listening party yesterday
to appreciate Steve's new Legacy Aerius
speakers and the next evolution of his listening space ...

And as you can see, the "dual JBL 2245 subs" grew to become quad 2245 subs ...
The bass traps in the corner have been nicely integrated into the room design -
and he has a ceiling mounted projector for movies and setup screen viewing ...
its really a superb place to enjoy music and other media ...

hjames
04-30-2017, 04:48 AM
Notice under the TT is an Xilica XP-4080 DSP Processor that came
with the Aerius speakers - it has a tremendous range of capabilities to dial everything in!

One of the attendees brought a new Oppo UDP-205 player - plugged it into the system, and played some Flac files from
NIN: Hesitation Marks Audiophile Mastered version off a thumb drive - Amazing stuff.
Another brought an LP of Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros - Street Core - really fun stuff.

Anyway, after all kinds of speakers, Steve owned Genisis for a bit,
and replaced them with Legacy focus speakers a number of years ago and really liked them.
And now that he wanted a pair to to really appreciate, so he went to the factory earlier this year,
and got exactly what he wanted. He plays more in the metal, harder rock genre than I do ...
I tend to listen to more jazz and acoustic that he does, and at a lower volume,
but it WAS an impressive sound, and at one point we moved the sofa forward
maybe 4 inches and got a soundstage 8 foot wide!

He's still fine tuning them ...
All in all, a great day!

hjames
05-02-2017, 02:46 AM
And don't discount that stack of four (4!!) JBL 2245s woofers in large cabinets ...

and darned if I did not misname the towers - they are Legacy Aeris speakers, built in Springfield, IL

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=76777&stc=1&d=1493552452

BMWCCA
05-02-2017, 05:07 AM
Curious if you listened to the Aries without the in-wall 2245s.

It would seem that their design certainly wouldn't need external subwoofers. Look like some fine speakers, built not far from where I was born.

Sorry I missed the event!

hjames
05-02-2017, 06:08 AM
Curious if you listened to the Aeris without the in-wall 2245s.

It would seem that their design certainly wouldn't need external subwoofers. Look like some fine speakers, built not far from where I was born.

Mr. Steve would need to comment - but on reading the comments on the Aeris speakers, it says Separate 500-watt full-bandwidth ICEpower amplifier modules are used for each of the 12" woofers (!) - 1000w ICEpower amplifiers PER CABINET ... Crazy!!

But you know how musicians are (esp drummers and Bass players) - Too much bass is just right! ;)

Tho honestly - it did not sound like too much, except for the NIN tracks -
and even they were clean where they were supposed to be -
and distorted without breakup where they were distorted as recorded.

Yeah, we did miss you - but do understand about Saturdays ...

svollmer
05-02-2017, 07:40 AM
Curious if you listened to the Aries without the in-wall 2245s.

I have listened to them without the subs and for most music, they're just fine. I have the subs crossed over at 40Hz and the mains running full range. I find that it helps smooth the bass a little and it really helps when watching movies or listening to the rare music that has infrasonic content. Those subs can literally lift your backside up when your sitting on the couch.

But, there's nothing like truly deep, stupid loud bass. :applaud:

Mr. Widget
05-03-2017, 03:15 PM
But, there's nothing like truly deep, stupid loud bass. :applaud::D

Thanks for the virtual listening session and letting us tag along.

Widget