PDA

View Full Version : threshold Fet-9 or T0 for JBL4435

sa660
06-11-2003, 05:50 AM
I am thinking of buying a preamplifier from threshold to use with my 4435.
Can you advice on price new and second hand?
Can you comment on quality etc...

Thanks,

Mr. Widget
06-11-2003, 05:06 PM
They seem to go from $500 to $1000 on eBay.

Years ago I owned the Threshold NS10. It was extremely well built, the most quiet preamp that I have ever owned or heard, but not as "musical" as I would have liked. I have heard good comments about the FET series, but have no personal experience with them.

MikeM
06-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by sa660
I am thinking of buying a preamplifier from threshold to use with my 4435.
Can you advice on price new and second hand?
Can you comment on quality etc...

Thanks,
ive owed some threshold equipment and ive noticed thet the sound will have great highend dynamics but the lows dont keep up. this may be a good thing with some speakers but with compression drivers?
Let me give a bit of advice. Check out preamps by a company called Audible illusions. The M3 or M3A Ive owened this baby and has blow almost everything away. I mean preamps 3 times the price. Do a google search. This is a very very musical peice with outstanding trasparency. The bass lacks ultimate control on the bottom octave. after listening to it the bass wont matter as much as it did. Everybody in audio has reviewed it. it is current absolute sound reccommened companant ( for years ) and stereophile reccommened companant ( For years ). the reviewers at these publications bought the test samples for thier home systems. look at audiogon,com for one all are sold wonder why. Im getting another one blew the @#$% out of the KBL. The m3 and m3a are tube preamps with outstanding phono sections

Mr. Widget
06-15-2003, 08:02 PM
I completely agree with with MikeM, the Audible Illusions preamps sound wonderful. I would seriously consider getting one if I were in the preamp market. Another very nice preamp is made by Klyne.