PDA

View Full Version : 5234A network

quindecima
10-26-2010, 05:02 PM
I have been toying with the idea of cloning a pair of 4345's and know where there is a network. Are one or two of these needed or is there a better alternative. :confused: Is the 3145 the latest network for this system?

richluvsound
10-27-2010, 12:58 AM
Take a long walk around the 5234 xover, Dont even look at it :) . There is a ton of stuff under the search function.

In a nutshell ,the 5234 box of nostalgia would be the last resort.

There some very clever people, including Greg Timbers ( the original designer of the 4345 ) that have written about and built xovers for this monitor.

The new networks are SOTA .... It is an amazing speaker ,some would argue, the best of that era .
If you stick to the original driver compliment you will never want another speaker .

If you try to do it on the cheap .... forget it ... and forget getting any real help here on the forum ...

"WE ARE ABOUT PRESERVING A LEGACY , NOT MAKING CHEAP COPIES" and I think I speak

confidently for the others here in this regard .

You will find a lot of support for any project if you want to put in the work ... ie USE THE SEARCH

good luck , Rich

quindecima
10-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Whew...I better not make any mistakes here. I have one 2245 and I know where another is and I know where some HF's are. What are the impedences of the drivers, are they all 8 ohm or are some 16? I looked around and couldn't find that info. :eek: :eek: These will go real well with my L300's and L100's :D I hate to sound ignorant but what is the meaning of SOTA?

Robh3606
10-27-2010, 12:39 PM
5234A network

If you are going to take the time to make a JBL Active network build a DX-1. As far as the 4345 is concerned we have a couple of network options thanks to 4313B. I have his first generation networks in my 4344's and they work just fine:D

Rob:)

quindecima
10-27-2010, 12:58 PM
I would like them to look original so I am going to do the best I can to find a pair of 3145's for the front. It looks like the network is going to be the most difficult thing to acquire. :crying:

richluvsound
10-27-2010, 01:37 PM
:D

there are 2 kinds of people that dont make mistakes ,those that never do anything ,and those that get everyone to do it for them ....

Start reading the " 4345 club " if you read you will seldom need to ask questions

Rich

Ps , the 300's need work on the networks if you want them to sound original as well as look the part.

hjames
10-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Whew...I better not make any mistakes here. :D I hate to sound ignorant but
what is the meaning of SOTA?
SOTA =

State
Of
The
Art

Meaning you can build a much better set of crossovers now,
since there are better capacitors and design tools than you could "back in the day".
Lets see 4345 speakers were built in the late 70s - so yeah, things have improved a LOT since then!

Robh3606
10-27-2010, 04:59 PM
It looks like the network is going to be the most difficult thing to acquire. :crying:

Just make your own using one of the equivalent schematics.

Rob:)