PDA

View Full Version : marantz receiver/JBL

pyonc
10-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Hi,

Maybe you could resolve this Marantz receiver issue:
I've used Marantz 2330B receiver as a power amplifier for biamping 4343, along with Crown DC300A. Today, I decided to use this Marantz to its original purpose, namely as a receiver. However, when I hooked up the speaker wires from the smaller 4311 into its input terminals, and set the switch to FM or AM, I couldn't get any sound from either channel. I made sure all the buttons on its front set correct. The front panel illuminates, but no sound when powered on, though. So, this time I went back to Marantz as a power amplifier (using its main inputs on the back), with Adcom preamp and CD player. Then, I could hear the usual loud music from 4311. So, what could be the issues here? Fuse issue? Why can't this Marantz function as a receiver here? I have no idea at all.

SEAWOLF97
10-22-2010, 06:47 PM
when you use the Marantz as a preamp...you remove the 2 silver U shaped jumpers on the back that says "preamp OUT" "main IN" ....if these jumpers are off ,it wont function as a receiver...if the jumpers are missing you can just use a patch cord.

pyonc
10-22-2010, 06:53 PM
when you use the Marantz as a preamp...you remove the 2 silver U shaped jumpers on the back that says "preamp OUT" "main IN" ....if these jumpers are off ,it wont function as a receiver...if the jumpers are missing you can just use a patch cord.

Hummmmm. I still don't understand. As you said, there are preamp OUT, main IN on the back. Do you think I need to use RCA cables to connect them?
Actually I tried connecting pre OUT to main IN, with the RCA cables (instead of what you call "U shaped jumpers"), but I still hear no sound.:banghead:
Please take a look at the attached pic.

mech986
10-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Check to see if any of the tape monitor pushbuttons are in. They should all be out.

Send along some pictures of the front panel as it now is so we could see if maybe some other switch setting is incorrect.

You should also try to run the Crown amp from the pre-out to check the function of the preamp section. Then you'll know if the preamp is actually ok.

Bart

pyonc
10-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Check to see if any of the tape monitor pushbuttons are in. They should all be out.

Send along some pictures of the front panel as it now is so we could see if maybe some other switch setting is incorrect.

You should also try to run the Crown amp from the pre-out to check the function of the preamp section. Then you'll know if the preamp is actually ok.

Bart

All tape monitor buttons are out, as you see in the pics. Only the speaker 1 button is in, as speaker wires of 4311 are connected to the input terminals of speaker 1 on the back. When I purchased this receiver, I clearly remember having seen the same RCA cables connected to the pre OUT and main IN. Another problem I found out is the malfunctioning of this receiver as a preamp, too. With Adcom as a power amp, I tried using this as a preamp, but I couldn't hear any sound from CD player at all. I have had no problem at all with this function as a receiver or a preamp before I diverted this one as a power amp for biamping 4343, along with Adcom power amp.