PDA

View Full Version : Karlson K-15 driver opinions wanted

spkrman57
10-13-2010, 09:35 AM
I have a pair of K-15 Karlson cabinets that look really cool.

I'm wondering if anyone on this forum have used these cabinets and what drivers did they use!

I have several drivers to try out, but I would like to try some coax drivers 1st, then I might try various 15" LF drivers to see how they work out.

If anyone has the basic "Q" and "fs" that work best in this cabinet please voice your opinions.

This will not replace my main system, but will be a "B" system to play with.

Thanks, Ron

Ruediger
10-13-2010, 09:58 AM
I cannot help You with the driver but I uploaded two Karlson-related papers to the Technical References thread.

Enjoy Ruediger

spkrman57
10-13-2010, 10:46 AM
I cannot help You with the driver but I uploaded two Karlson-related papers to the Technical References thread.

Enjoy Ruediger

I read both of them and looked at the math formulas and kept to reading the text as the math was way over my head.

Regards, Ron

Steve Schell
10-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Karlsons are great! Best sound I ever had with them were with field coil 15" woofers, both Magnavox and RCA. The best of the old fashioned permanent magnet light cone / big motor woofers will work almost as well. I never tried coaxials as I didn't want everything imaging down low. Piling big ol' theatre multicellular horns on top works well.

spkrman57
10-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Karlsons are great! Best sound I ever had with them were with field coil 15" woofers, both Magnavox and RCA. The best of the old fashioned permanent magnet light cone / big motor woofers will work almost as well. I never tried coaxials as I didn't want everything imaging down low. Piling big ol' theatre multicellular horns on top works well.

I think my JBL E-130 w/paper dustcap drivers will be a capable driver to start with...

Steve, I'm reading between the lines here and forming my own opinion from your reply and the info I have researched online so far.

I'm just not so sure of the 2/3 of fs that the Karlson will deliver(internet info from Freddy I). I'll find out with my testing though for sure, but it sounds like the best start to this project!

I'll post my opinion/results as I experiment with the different 15" drivers.

Regards, Ron