PDA

View Full Version : Are We Mad ?

richluvsound
09-09-2010, 06:52 AM
Hi Folks ,

you may have seen this ,but if not ...... enjoy !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1aUws0Lrs&feature=related
:p

Rich

Krunchy
09-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Hi Rich, only had time to watch the first 4 mins but compared to these guys, no, I dont feel like I'm Mad (not yet anyway) :D dont know about the rest of the folks on this forum though :D ;)

Thanks for sharing, love the tubes!

1audiohack
09-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Oh Oh, if this is pitiful state the recreational use of music can lead one to, I am going to need a lot more money in the future, I had better get another job!:D

jcrobso
09-09-2010, 10:36 AM
But it helps!:crying:

richluvsound
09-09-2010, 11:24 AM
:(

sorry to waste your time !

Krunchy
09-09-2010, 11:46 AM
I've been known to live under a rock for many a moon now and again so this is new to me.

Time is irrelevant, thanks for posting :)

1audiohack
09-09-2010, 01:37 PM
I had never seen it either, and just so you know, I live on a rock!

JeffW
09-09-2010, 01:51 PM
I got a head full of rocks, and I've never seen it.

Thanks for sharing, but if you ever see me with a counterbalance slung cable supported rack for my amp, just go ahead and throw rocks at me. :applaud:

BMWCCA
09-09-2010, 06:35 PM
I may have watched a bit of it before, but I watched the whole film this time—with my daughter—and we both laughed at it. So, thanks for posting the link.

Sitting in our tiny living room with the 4345s in the corners, we didn't laugh at the comments on the size of the speakers, but did chuckle over how some of the turntable mechanisms had overtaken the whole space! And, of course, over the expense.

I understand the appeal to those guys—the holy grail of high-fidelity—and hopefully they're not starving their families while pursuing their (seemingly) unobtainable goal. My moderation by comparison is actually only due to a limited ability to afford anything else. Though I think if the Good Lord deigned to smite me with money and I were never to recover, I still think I'd take a more moderate approach than those guys! :o:

1audiohack
09-09-2010, 06:52 PM
I got a head full of rocks, and I've never seen it.

Thanks for sharing, but if you ever see me with a counterbalance slung cable supported rack for my amp, just go ahead and throw rocks at me. :applaud:

Yeah that would be pretty low tech, when I get there I expect to see magnetic levitation!

richluvsound
09-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Hack,

I dont agree with that guy about the AC being 50% of the music. I think its more like 80% myself .

Rich

1audiohack
09-09-2010, 11:06 PM
I think it's more like 100%, none of my speakers make any sound at all with out AC. And what they do with DC I don't like at all!

What i really didn't get is how the suspended rack is responsible for an additional 30% of the music. I still have much to learn apparently.

richluvsound
09-10-2010, 04:27 AM
Dear 4365,

please feel free to write what ever you like salient to my threads , but PLEASE DO NOT trash it by putting irrelevant images on here . I haven't been active on the forum for ages and have missed being involved . I feel that when you trash it out with these images it puts others off responding . You don't have to like me , but I must insist you extend me this courtesy and respect .

Rich

WDJ
09-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Two disparate thoughts:

(1) The facial expressions at about minute 17 say it must be worth it!

and:

(2) Greece is broke?:blink:

svollmer
09-12-2010, 04:08 AM
Thanks Rich; I loved it.

I've been aware of the Audiophile Club of Athens for about 10 years or so, but I've never seen video of the members or their systems. It's a really great video (film?) presenting one of the countless obsessions different humans have. Their obsession, and ours, thankfully hurts no one and brings beauty and joy to those who paticipate in it. I don't have a system like any of those guys, but if I could afford one, I would have it.

One thing that struck me while watching the video is how it's always, or almost always, men that share this obsession. My wife and many women I know absolutely love music, but just don't care about equipment. I'm perplexed as to why this is so. My wife can hear the difference between CD players, preamps, and amps, and expresses a preference as to which one she likes, but I really believe that if I were to drop dead tomorrow, she'd be perfectly happy listening to a table radio. I "get" that to her, the music is more important than the sound. I'd rather have music and crappy sound, than no music at all, so, I understand where she's coming from. But, when the knowledge that better sound exists and one shows a preference for it, I just don't understand why she and many other women wouldn't bother to buy decent equipment (that is sometimes very affordable) for themselves when they have the means to do so.

Just something that bounces around in my mostly empty head. :D

Thanks again for sharing.

Steve

DavidF
09-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Wow. Maybe these guys have some fun mixed in there. Or seems like fun. I can't think but that while they spend afternoons relistening to their gear after replacing all the impure steel screws in the amplifier chassis with $1,400 set of 99.9% "proprietary alloy" fasteners (doesn't add that additional bit of air?) I'm at the dog park laughing my ass off at the antics of the usual suspects.

jcrobso
09-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Since I'm radio station engineer I have to be concerned with the laws of Physics.
Many of the extremes that some people go to are biased on 30% Physics and 70% pure FUD= junk science.:crying:
Don't forget the Emperors new cloths syndrome, it can wreck havoc on the laws of Physics.
Since so much of listing is based on subjective experience it is easy for the FUD peddlers to sell their wares. Look at Mon$tor cales and Bo$e speakers.:blink:
Fear Uncertainty Doubt.

Ducatista47
09-14-2010, 12:07 PM
I invoked this YouTube link next to the subject of this thread, and I have to say I like this fellow. On top of finding a kindred spirit, I find him very entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7ERMu825m4&feature=fvw

His final thought seems to get at the heart of the matter. I refer to people who purchase, or want to purchase, this stuff as true believers. When I am not on board myself, I say I do not belong to that church. This terminology - and this philosophy - has served me well so far.

By the way, I love the Greek link. Thanks, Rich. To answer the title of this thread, I myself am more than a little "touched" but not raving. On most days.

Clark

SEAWOLF97
09-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Since so much of listing is based on subjective experience it is easy for the FUD peddlers to sell their wares. Look at Mon$tor cales and Bo$e speakers.:blink:

I agree, but Mon$ter seemed to have sold somebody at JBL engineering on it....they were proud enuff of them to make mention of the wire on the exterior network plates on the final 250ti models.

jcrobso
09-15-2010, 10:39 AM
I agree, but Mon$ter seemed to have sold somebody at JBL engineering on it....they were proud enuff of them to make mention of the wire on the exterior network plates on the final 250ti models.
Two of my favorite postings.
http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/top-ten-signs-an-audio-cable-vendor-is-selling-you-snake-oil
http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/rubbing-the-snake-oil-out-of-speaker-cables-part-i