PDA

View Full Version : Earth db sound pressure level

JBL 4645
09-03-2010, 07:30 AM
What would be the total average SPL db level of Earth anyone care to do the hyper mathematics on this?

I think it would be an untold amount that would be so far off the scale of any normal professionals SPL db meter.

This includes nature itself everything even rain, thunderstorms, earthquakes, jet airliners, warfare even casual banging sex on the bed. :p :smsex: Chattering even using a keyboard, or snoring you have to take all the sounds and give me you’re best evaluation on what the total SPL db would be.

I think this, has to be without a doubt the noisy planet in our solar system. Its no wonder Alien :beamup: Earth encounters don’t want to visit us. We’re all just too damn noisy!

Hoerninger
09-03-2010, 08:27 AM
What would be the total average SPL db level of Earth anyone care to do the hyper mathematics on this?
The approach is to add all the energie which is involved. This energie well spread into a frequency band will give you want you want to know I suppose.
But be careful in your bed, might be my calculator will not fetch the big numbers anymore. ;)

1audiohack
09-03-2010, 10:13 AM
We create a lot of noise to be sure, the world has been a different place since the steam engine and the industrial revolution.

I vividly recall the substantial reduction of background noise when all the planes were grounded after the 9-11 attacks, it was almost eerie at first. We do make a lot of noise!

I have never been around an active volcano but I have heard some pretty loud storms. Mother Earth makes her fair share of noise as well.

Eaulive
09-03-2010, 11:01 AM
What would be the total average SPL db level of Earth anyone care to do the hyper mathematics on this?!

At what distance?

JBL 4645
09-03-2010, 11:21 AM
The approach is to add all the energie which is involved. This energie well spread into a frequency band will give you want you want to know I suppose.
But be careful in your bed, might be my calculator will not fetch the big numbers anymore. ;)

:rotfl:

Well I’ve been tossing off in bed! No! I didn’t mean that. I meant I’ve been tossing around its warm day wanted to get a catnap.(The frigging neighbours with vacuum cleans ON and OFF that middle range humming like tone drives me crazy) I was thinking? What would the gross total SPL db be of the noise on Earth in one day?

Would it be possible for 300db or greater…?:dont-know:

We create a lot of noise to be sure, the world has been a different place since the steam engine and the industrial revolution.

I vividly recall the substantial reduction of background noise when all the planes were grounded after the 9-11 attacks, it was almost eerie at first. We do make a lot of noise!

I have never been around an active volcano but I have heard some pretty loud storms. Mother Earth makes her fair share of noise as well.

Thunderstorms don’t have the tendency of (exaggeration like in films) they tend to be the opposite when using and SPL db meter.

So how would you calculate the figures? Would you take the highest number then add the next lowest number to it and is it done in same way as adding +3db or totally different altogether.

I would say its not the norm of what we hear on daily basis. Aircraft over this area tends to cease around 11pm. Starts up around 4:30am 5:00am the jet airliners are not as annoying as major international airport, its only a small airport where I live.

Traffic now that doesn’t calm down till at least 1am at best on weekend. It starts up again at around 5:00am to 6:30am with the buses and the noisy the engines produce 35Hz humming outside across the road at the bus stops as I’ve monitored it. SPL db in the room is low below 60db range, its enough to fu&ck up a frequency sweep, there on 15 minute cycle with three to four bus numbers on the same route.

Different cars tend to have different exhaust pipes that produce different frequency tones that is just as annoying than some commercial jet airliners.

The Red Arrows was about late last month and the hollow like roaring sound they produce is enough to send my cat hiding. They swoop down low and thunder over homes with no consideration what so ever.

I think they should ban low flying over residential areas over sea fine but over homes it just pisses me off now and I have no respect for what they do. The smaller airplanes (single propeller) tend to be slightly higher up and don’t produce as much noise!

Eaulive
09-03-2010, 11:34 AM
:rotfl:

Well I’ve been tossing off in bed! No! I didn’t mean that. I meant I’ve been tossing around its warm day wanted to get a catnap.(The frigging neighbours with vacuum cleans ON and OFF that middle range humming like tone drives me crazy) I was thinking? What would the gross total SPL db be of the noise on Earth in one day?

Would it be possible for 300db or greater…?:dont-know:

SPL is not cumulative. It's not like A/h or kW/h.

JBL 4645
09-03-2010, 11:49 AM
At what distance?

Use a little imagination if you where to place microphones around New York on ever corner every alley way where KFC rats roam about even the underground system and monitored the total SPL db I bet it would be HIGH number.

I monitored the SPL db in London on an average street (a few years ago) that was +90db in my home town on an average street its somewhat less. London has triple lanes for traffic my home town single lanes left and right London three lanes per each side, so that’s twice the traffic street level noise.

JBL 4645
09-03-2010, 11:53 AM
SPL is not cumulative. It's not like A/h or kW/h.

Well you sound like you might know the ansawrs I assign you, to do the math and calculations. You have one year to hand in you’re report. Otherwise you’ll have to answer to the Sooty and he doesn’t like failure. :D

Maron Horonzakz
09-04-2010, 06:16 AM
Well if you suck off all the atmosphere from this planet,,You would not have any sound,,

JBL 4645
09-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Well if you suck off all the atmosphere from this planet,,You would not have any sound,,

Precisely so! ;)

So would you say its fair to assume the level would be an untold number if one should hear it and instantly deafen our hearing, or would we combust into flames, because of the sudden level?:dont-know:

If you placed a SPL db metre at an angle just on the side of the engine bell on the space shuttle would the SPL db reach
200db nah, 300db 400db? I don’t know, I guess no one has stood underneath to find out!:D But is it possible to reach 400db? :dont-know:

I guess the SPL db would have to be special kind and how would you test it? In practice I guess till it overloads and breaks, then you build one that can go higher. But who has ever heard of 400db, no thanks.

1audiohack
09-04-2010, 10:55 AM

Well that would depend on which medium you were immersed in. Other fluids and solids conduct sound as well.

I think 194dB is the theoretical limit of our atmosphere to conduct undistorted sound waves, at that point the maxima (pressure level above 14.7, or twice 1 atmosphere) cannot be matched by the minima (less than full vacuum) so you get a wave form disconnect where the posative energy exceeds the negative energy for a period of time, like an n wave from a bolt of lightning. I have been told the crackling noise heard at a shuttle launch is the distortion caused by the inability of the air to carry the sound without distortion, and that may be true, however I question this as with the burning of the great amount of fuel they are in effect creating a local area of high pressure, this is like creating a DC offset in a mic or an amp and that is perceived as a one time event, a sudden rise in a signal to be dispersed over a long period of time in the case of the shuttle or signal held high with a DC offset. So what do you hear at a shuttle launch? I think it is the gas pressure rapidly changing pressure and that creates noise, so your out in space, and you are outside the ship in your suit floating in the vacuum of space and your shiprockets away from you, it is propelled by creating an imbalance in local pressure on one end of it would you hear it?

toddalin
09-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Seeing as how I've not seen where you stated a distance or even if all of the noise was to occur at one specific point, the noise for the entire earth, and universe for that matter, is exactly what a calibrated meter reads at that point in space where it is read and will obviously vary with where you place it.

This noise is already happening and is all around us and we are subject to what we hear based on the strengths of the sources, the distances to the sources, as well as any obstructions that may cause reflection, refraction, or absorption, or vacuum that does not transmit sound.

JBL 4645
09-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Well that would depend on which medium you were immersed in. Other fluids and solids conduct sound as well.

I think 194dB is the theoretical limit of our atmosphere to conduct undistorted sound waves, at that point the maxima (pressure level above 14.7, or twice 1 atmosphere) cannot be matched by the minima (less than full vacuum) so you get a wave form disconnect where the posative energy exceeds the negative energy for a period of time, like an n wave from a bolt of lightning. I have been told the crackling noise heard at a shuttle launch is the distortion caused by the inability of the air to carry the sound without distortion, and that may be true, however I question this as with the burning of the great amount of fuel they are in effect creating a local area of high pressure, this is like creating a DC offset in a mic or an amp and that is perceived as a one time event, a sudden rise in a signal to be dispersed over a long period of time in the case of the shuttle or signal held high with a DC offset. So what do you hear at a shuttle launch? I think it is the gas pressure rapidly changing pressure and that creates noise, so your out in space, and you are outside the ship in your suit floating in the vacuum of space and your shiprockets away from you, it is propelled by creating an imbalance in local pressure on one end of it would you hear it?

You can only see the bursts of gases from the OMS engines. The crackle effect is the same with any rocket, I didn’t think of it as gases or the solid fuel it uses is the cause that produces the noise.

What of Earthquakes are they heard in the same way as its depicted in films can you hear and earthquake noise say if you where in balloon hovering above the ground 20 feet would you hear the earthquake rumble noise or is it only heard though the walls. “These walls have ears” like sound waves can travel though the walls and you hear the sound!

Thunder can be felt if you place you’re hand on the window the sound wave hits and its felt, depending on how the home or building is constructed you might not notice standing on concrete floor, or even outside, unless you place you’re hands on object like shop window.

So I guess being out in Nevada "Alien Area-51" territory you get to see a lot of strange objects flying around then.:D :beamup: what about supersonic jet fighters any of those that happen to pass near you?

JBL 4645
09-04-2010, 12:00 PM
If we all walked around bare foot the streets, no shoes it would sound a lot less quiet, but are bodies weight will still be producing some form of sound pressure. In the film Surrogates when all the robots get turned off the rapid sound of them all falling to the ground at once sounds thunderous.

Then the stillness in the sound no vehicle sounds or footsteps to be heard anywhere, just utter silence. Same thing with The Day the Earth Stood Still at the end all man made machines even wrist watches comes to a stand still…Silence!

toddalin
09-04-2010, 12:09 PM
If we all walked around bare foot the streets, no shoes it would sound a lot less quiet, but are bodies weight will still be producing some form of sound pressure. In the film Surrogates when all the robots get turned off the rapid sound of them all falling to the ground at once sounds thunderous.

Then the stillness in the sound no vehicle sounds or footsteps to be heard anywhere, just utter silence. Same thing with The Day the Earth Stood Still at the end all man made machines even wrist watches comes to a stand still…Silence!

Don't think it didn't happen!

I do noise monitoring for sound studies for the inclusion in Environmental Impact Reports.

I was doing monitoring in a rural location on 9/12/2001 after the ban of all aircraft due to 9/11. All day there was only one helicopter in the sky and it was probably the quietest outdoor monitoring I've ever done.

JBL 4645
09-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Don't think it didn't happen!

I do noise monitoring for sound studies for the inclusion in Environmental Impact Reports.

I was doing monitoring in a rural location on 9/12/2001 after the ban of all aircraft due to 9/11. All day there was only one helicopter in the sky and it was probably the quietest outdoor monitoring I've ever done.

Wow I bet that was eerier spooky creepy time.

So you don’t think bare foot would work. It worked with our ancestors :D http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQg-vMo6F6E0eLaVmyjBSGiNuT46R3KtOTocXU6hQ2pi9rUDrg&t=1&usg=__2YAAukYIeTDivQ5PcXMJ97aosOk= I wonder how noisy it was back then?

JBL 4645
09-21-2010, 05:03 PM
There’s a cretin denser sound of stillness when it’s foggy. Yes its foggy outside, just took the rubbish out and paused and listened to sound of fog, it was rather foggy sound to listen.:D

Does fog make sound denser?

1audiohack
09-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Does fog make sound denser?

It makes the air, the conductive medium more absorptive as does snow.

JBL 4645
09-22-2010, 12:39 PM
It makes the air, the conductive medium more absorptive as does snow.

Yeah that does make sense I wasn't thinking of snow and how it bring road traffic to a calmer noise level. If real heavy snow falls its = silence for days.