PDA

View Full Version : Looky what came by my house tonight...part 2

lgvenable
08-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Bear with me as I give a little piece of history to set this up.

After scoring speakers (and amps) from the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago nearly two years ago, I'd decided to re-create their setup up to 2009 in my theater room (they went IMAX in 2010...)

That said I'm ready to tri-amp the front; where they used 2206's, 2446J's + custom horns; and 2404H's. So I decided to use the same combo , except with a 2385 bi-radial horn.

Sound like fronts made with 4731's?? So after pricing Jammin Jersy etc, I quickly figured out 4731's would be $$$ to get into. And I already had everything but cabs for the 2206's and an x-over.

Jump forward to this summer. First I find a pair of brand new4636 cabinets sans 2206's for front left and right. I already had 2206's from the Museum....Then I start looking for a center channel cabinet/4636's for my LF section, which I'll combine with the same 2446J's + 2385; and 2404H's.

And then in June find a pair of perfect 4636's w/2206's on the Klipsch forum; except he first wants to sell; then changed his mind. Then he emails a month and a half ago, he'll sell.Yesterday he stopped by in Newburgh IN to sell them; after driving them up from Georgia, on his way 2 hours north to see his son. Curb side delivery no charge. And the speakers; just as good a set as the NIB set I already scored.

The folks on Klipsch are as good as us. I might not have been a Kilpsch fan, but what a deal. $250 for the pair. Not free, but then again in the original JBL boxes and in perfect shape.

How often do you score perfect 4636 pairs in their JBL boxes, twice in 3 months?? Unreal.

Heres the pics. I'll set up my first mono-tri-amp tomorrow, fed either by dBX driverack 260, or the active x-overs on the AB Systems 713's as set by the museum. A whole new project to go figure out.:D

And on top of that.... I score a BGW 750B this week as well, at 150.00 on Craigslist, in almost pristine condition, working perfectly; and worth twice as much.... A lot of you know how tough it is to find a good looking 750B, that someones cared for;and this one just popped up on a national Craigslist search.
Thank goodness for college students.;)

Titanium Dome
08-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Looking good. :) Looking very good.

scott fitlin
08-14-2010, 03:15 AM
Hey Larry, of ALL the 750,s I like the 750B best of them all. Great amp and has a certain tone!

:applaud:

lgvenable
08-14-2010, 05:33 AM
Hey Larry, of ALL the 750,s I like the 750B best of them all. Great amp and has a certain tone!

Man I'm about to exhaust the audio slush fund, as I've got two more tracked down to purchase out of another theater..

Plus aesthetics here...the led's on the old style analog sweep meters give these and the 250E's a great look and a secondary light show during playback.

JBL 4645
08-14-2010, 06:41 AM
I looked it up fairly quickly not on the main website (just around Google image) so the 4635 is a 12” kinder of “mini-me” theatre bass/mid cab. They look ideal for a small home, nice find.:) You lucky bugger.:D

Freq. Response: 55Hz - 4.5KHz
Rated Impedance: 8 Ohms
Minimum Impedance: 7.2 Ohms @ 250 Hz
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1 meter): 99dB
Enclosure Volume: 1.2 Cubic Feet
Ext. Dimensions: 18 1/2" H x 16" W x 10 3/4" D
Weight: 40 Lbs.

The folks on Klipsch are as good as us. I might not have been a Kilpsch fan, but what a deal. $250 for the pair. Not free, but then again in the original JBL boxes and in perfect shape.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/110697.aspx

lgvenable
08-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Ash:
What you did is look up the EXACT set I found. The Kilpsch guy's name is Bruce, his avatar is Marvel on their forum. Great guy, brought them right to me on his way to see his son. Notice my post below? The only reason I joined the Klipsch forum was to score these.;)

They look easy to build extra sets from. I'm going to use this pair as my center channel LF with a 2446-2385 mid horn and a 2404H HF. The amp (see attachment) which I scored two years ago at the Chicago Museum of Industry and Science is what I'll use to drive the same setup on the front left, right, and center.

BTW 2025 12" not 2206. I got 4 of those (2206) in my museum buy. My wife will be glad as I start to sell off the bits I wont use.

BTW not lucky, just bull dogged persistence to track a particular set of bits down; as we all do. In my case I wanted to setup a home theater which replicated what they did in the Chicago museum theater; on the front three channels, and use typical theater surrounds on the sides and back, all driven by BGW's. The only non-BGW will be these 713's.

Slowly but surely, I;m getting there.

The final version will really be in 10 years as we build a retirement home in Oklahoma in the Arbuckle Mountains; I'm going to do a theater which has a stage, side walls which are 35 ft on a side, with a 4 foot walkway behind all the walls; to make changing things out easy. Kind of subterranean too, in a step down basement. Something not seen in the Texas Oklahoma area home very often; in my case what do they call it now...a mancave; just jammed full of vintage JBL and BGW.:D

SEAWOLF97
08-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Hey Larry, of ALL the 750,s I like the 750B best of them all. Great amp and has a certain tone!:applaud:

Scotty .....you spend more on gear in a week than I do in 5 years and have so much great audio info acquired in your head ( and I highly value your opinion ) that I'm hesitant to comment on your post , but feel a need to clarify it.

The BGW 750 A,B,C are a group of the early config rated at 225wpc ( 8 ohms )

The BGW 750 D,E,F are a later group rated at 350 wpc ( 8 ohms ) 600wpc (4 ohms) and contain better protection circuits

All the BGW 750's excel at low impedance loads, so if you have difficult to drive speakers, these do nicely.

BGW says "drives any load of 2 ohms or greater in dual channel mode"

(have the factory manuals open here, so not to talk out of my a$$)

Unless one really likes to look at meters , when at the same price...the D, E , F models are a much better deal. ( and for meter guys, the E has cool LED meters)

there are G and H models and they are of the last gen with more of the good stuff, but you generally wont find them in the same price range as their fore bearers.

There should be no difference in sound among the models.

The absolute authority on these is Tim (Loach71) , but I havnt seen him post for a while.

The final version will really be in 10 years as we build a retirement home in Oklahoma in the Arbuckle Mountains; I'm going to do a theater which has a stage, side walls which are 35 ft on a side, with a 4 foot walkway behind all the walls; to make changing things out easy. Kind of subterranean too, in a step down basement. Something not seen in the Texas Oklahoma area home very often; in my case what do they call it now...a mancave; just jammed full of vintage JBL and BGW.:D

just the idea of that sounds awesome...:applaud:

JBL 4645
08-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Larry

How comes then these JBL 4635 are not listed on Google product? I’m sure you can buy these at (low, low prices).

lgvenable
08-14-2010, 10:27 PM
they were 4636 with 12's. I'vr seen some 4646 with 15" drivers out of theaters in Kentucky and passed..om

I just keep finding the JBL speakers for theaters, If there are models which float your boats and your looking for it, let me know I might have the theater wreckers know whats needed, and we'll get first shot.

seriously I've emptied 6 theaters in 2 years...so theres always lot available ;)

JBL 4645
08-15-2010, 05:44 PM
they were 4636 with 12's. I'vr seen some 4646 with 15" drivers out of theaters in Kentucky and passed..om

I just keep finding the JBL speakers for theaters, If there are models which float your boats and your looking for it, let me know I might have the theater wreckers know whats needed, and we'll get first shot.

seriously I've emptied 6 theaters in 2 years...so theres always lot available ;)

Well if you keep loading those JBL on the boat, “you’re gonna need a bigger boat”.:p

Larry

Why so many closing is it bankruptcy or other?

Are these single theatres cinemas with say two screens or are they run down 80’s multiplexes that just don’t draw in the crowds anymore?

Good luck on the JBL theatre speakers hunting.

lgvenable
08-15-2010, 06:23 PM
why the theaters are closing, I suspect bad location in a small town, poor management; or a combination of both.

They've all been in small cities. Recall this pic, they were out of number 2,3, and 4. I ended up with 30 surrounds of a mix between 8330 and 8340. I've kept 10 x 8340's and 3 x 8330's. The guy had had already sold another 30 surrounds before I caught up with the deal.

They just keep marching by, the last speakers I passed on were 4675LF's (4 and 8 ohm), as well as extra LF boxes which were the same construct as the 4675's w/o the HF compression drivers and horn.

JBL 4645
08-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Well don’t take it the wrong way Larry you suck, :p that is monster buy deal of the year if you, get my meaning. They must be off their rockers selling them at give away prices but they’ve been used hence there second-hand.

Well its odd over here I don’t see many multiplexes closing down only the odd single screen cinemas that where built around 1920’s 30’s or just after WWII as most got bombed!

I’m still surprised at the condition of the cloth cover as they’d high up from being handled by the public, depending on the height from floor to where its hung and the slopping floor rising up towards the back of the cinema where they are at just over or under 6 feet high.

Wish I had credit card a few years back to buy those 8330 at UK cinema suppler for £99.00 each! Some had minor chips dents and cloth damage (as I can remember reading description condition for each item).

You know another thing stuck me! Why space them out along the walls in the home since the rooms are far smaller than cinema. Why not stack as they are in the picture side by side along the wall staring at the back and work along the wall just a few more slightly in front of the seating area.

The sound of the surround should sound amazing with no gaps just total anchored uniform surround coverage. Repeat the same thing for the back starting at the centre middle point behind the wall and span them outwards its okay if one won’t slot in on each side towards the sidewall surrounds.

It would really encompass you’re ears in the surround field with smoothness. It might seem a bit OTT (over the top).

I know you used them for a couch so how did that come along in the end?

I forget to mention did you also rip the cables out intact as well as that would be bonus save on buying new cable.

And what about any acoustical cloth or panels attached to walls, what about seating? I think you’d need a lorry for that.:D

lgvenable
08-16-2010, 07:00 PM
No, really I've had guys asking me if the amps were worth keeping:blink: duh

What do they really think, I heard one speak of ripping out the brass in a Christie HD DLP projector, at what 100.00 for the metal amd WRECK a 25to 40K DLP projector. I mean really it's a question I don't even have to guess at..are the metals worth more than the projector?? :blink::blink:

I told them if they found another to give me a call and I'll give them 500.00 for the projectors brass sight unseen (as long as it was a Christie DLP.) Even saying that probably drove the price up to 3500 or 4000. Problem is once you start trying to educate some of the wreckers, they suddenly think they can get absolute top dollar for an older piece of equipment. What they don't understand is that at the higher prices; if one set of of speakers which are your"share" go south or the magnet slips in shipping, then you lose you rear end; and don't make a dime or worse you are in the red. Then too, you need to offer a minimal warranty (DOA), and even the best packaging will make sure an occasional magnet slips, and then there goes your favorite edgewound voice coil. So I learned a long time ago; do not be afraid to walk away from a "deal".

But the only thing have asked about were the mounts; but they were left where they were.(They say time is money..take too long to pull down.) Some wreckers are less efficient, and really do rip out wires. I wont deal with them; the ones I know understand that torn up speakers, bent cabinets, and damaged amps are worthless. THAT they do understand, since they know the color GREEN.

Honestly Ash, you'd have loved seeing my F150 Supercrew loaded out twice bringing the 8330's and 8340's home. I wished I hadn't taken the deacon from my church, as when I looked at his seat I thought "I could have stacked 4 more speakers there".

JBL 4645
08-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Larry what are saying the cinema that has closed down is it wide based company or small independent cinema?

Normally the equament is passed on to another cinema site.

Grab the projectors! You’d be able to sale it on or keep it, thou running a projector I think for the home is a bit costly xenon lamps as they burn brighter with short service life over home video projector lamps.

Projectors 35mm are often $50k to 60k around £30grand UK brand new, digital ones a bit more but bit.

Too bad you haven’t got the money to buy the place and save it from the wreaking ball! LOL

So how many days do you get before its gutted and knocked down?

I picture you’re garage at home, chock a block full! Do you have to climb over to get stuff out?:D

Who’s that guy on the member on the site I think he lives in California and once displayed the JBL and Altec speakers in the garden as he had so many!

Its odd the most part that has the short service life is the xenon lamp and the amps speakers will play and play and play, thou sometimes break down, but very rarely does.

Projector will cost more than the speakers or the stacks of amps then again if you look at the another way around the whole sound system would cost more than the projector but it’s the short life time of the lamp that soon over years runs up the cost bit.

What about any fancy lighting system neon lights look cool as some if not most cinemas us neon.

Popcorn and ice-cream machine and the cold drinks refrigerator. If it was me I’d clean the place out, seats and all.

Cinema perforated screen can always be re-cut for size for the home its only plastic with perfection holes.
Motors for the masking, masking it self and even frame support that holes the speakers in place behind the screen.

Are there any Dolby dts or SDDS8 decoders left in the cinema or have them been cleaned out before you got there?

Tim Rinkerman
08-20-2010, 11:14 AM
We were recently hired to re-screen the screen at a local university's small theatre. They ordered it, we installed it. Well, I showed up in the morning with my crew, and we went about removing the old screen material. Behind the screen were 3 single 15 boxes,like the ones in your picture, with bi-radials on top, and 2446 drivers on all of them. In the center was a JBL 18" sub, all JBL cinema series. I thought to myself, this must sound pretty nice! We got to un-packing the new screen and to my surprise(horror) I saw that this new screen was not perforated...anywhere...to let the sound through. I contacted the man in charge of the theatre and explained the problem. His response was.." yes,I know...we don't use this as a theatre anymore, when they built the new film studies theatre, they took the projectors and left. We haven't had films in here in 5 years, and have no intentions of having any more, we want the screen for powerpoint presentations." And what about all these speakers, I asked. "We don't use them, and our maintenance crew won't touch them, they're too heavy". I said yes, it would cost quite a bit to have this much stuff moved....I have a truck right outside, let me know before we get this new screen ready to put up, and I'll get them out of here for you.
They are stacked in my garage....free.
Can I make it worse? That was the second cinema set up I took home for free. The first one was a L,C,R set of JBL 2 way cinema speakers that we replaced with newer series JBL.
Did I ever tell you about the time I took home a pair of walnut 4333's for free..?

Tim Rinkerman
08-20-2010, 11:25 AM
What do they really think, I heard one speak of ripping out the brass in a Christie HD DLP projector, at what 100.00 for the metal amd WRECK a 25to 40K DLP projector. I mean really it's a question I don't even have to guess at..are the metals worth more than the projector?? :blink::blink:

Quite incredibly, I must say, yes. We deal with Christie all the time. It's not just them...it seems like every high end equipment manufacturer obsoletes their current lines every six months. We have had some experiences with equipment that hits the dead sea scrolls list before the warranty ran out. The current line of thinking is why should we fix something that we barely made a profit on building in the first place, when we can sell you a new unit that will do so much more than what you have now...look at the glut of flat screens...their prices have fallen faster and farther than a lead balloon tied to an anchor...

lgvenable
09-01-2010, 07:16 PM
We were recently hired to re-screen the screen at a local university's small theatre. They ordered it, we installed it. Well, I showed up in the morning with my crew, and we went about removing the old screen material. Behind the screen were 3 single 15 boxes,like the ones in your picture, with bi-radials on top, and 2446 drivers on all of them. In the center was a JBL 18" sub, all JBL cinema series. I thought to myself, this must sound pretty nice! We got to un-packing the new screen and to my surprise(horror) I saw that this new screen was not perforated...anywhere...to let the sound through. I contacted the man in charge of the theatre and explained the problem. His response was.." yes,I know...we don't use this as a theatre anymore, when they built the new film studies theatre, they took the projectors and left. We haven't had films in here in 5 years, and have no intentions of having any more, we want the screen for powerpoint presentations." And what about all these speakers, I asked. "We don't use them, and our maintenance crew won't touch them, they're too heavy". I said yes, it would cost quite a bit to have this much stuff moved....I have a truck right outside, let me know before we get this new screen ready to put up, and I'll get them out of here for you.
They are stacked in my garage....free.
Can I make it worse? That was the second cinema set up I took home for free. The first one was a L,C,R set of JBL 2 way cinema speakers that we replaced with newer series JBL.
Did I ever tell you about the time I took home a pair of walnut 4333's for free..?

Yah I'm pretty crazy. When I got down to Kentucky last week I found 7 sets of 4656's two new in boxes. These had 2242H's in them. I turned around called a couple of guys in Evnasville, and siold 4 sold another into ohio, and kepyt kept two free ones and $200.00 for the effort, They're in pristine 8 ft3 boxes with a single 18" 2242H and 25 to vets 25 to 30 HZ Killer...I'll post pics tomorrow night, mOne word INFRASONIC right Scotty?

Check back for pics of the subs abd then the two amps "looky what cane by my House Parts 3 and 4.:D

I;m also getting two more BGW 750B's coming in (Scotty F's Favorite amp;)) to drive each sub with the other 750B, while keepin one in reserve (I wont tell my wife that) Jez, this makes 11high end BGW amps out of Virginia and Kentucky in the last two months, and sever jbl subs too. These were locatyed behind the stage and were just pristine.
Pictures tomorrow. excuse the spelling errors I'm at a Fairfield public comoputer, as I wont use my work laptop for anything

JBL 4645
09-02-2010, 11:05 AM
I could never afford BGW amps. I don’t see any on ebay UK do these go sale for lot or are they reasonable price today given the fact they where used for sensurround system.

SEAWOLF97
09-02-2010, 11:19 AM
I;m also getting two more BGW 750B's coming in (Scotty F's Favorite amp;)) to drive each sub with the other 750B, while keepin one in reserve (I wont tell my wife that) Jez, this makes 11high end BGW amps out of Virginia and Kentucky in the last two months, and sever jbl subs too.

some nice scores there Larry ....I've got BGW 750D , 250D and 203 pre and they are all built like MILSPEC.

If you keep 1 in reserve...look for a "D" or above...much higher power.

The guys in Australia seem to know more abt BGW than most US audiophiles. had read that there is a huge install base down there.

Think Scotty has moved on to Parasound Halo's .....

lgvenable
09-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Well I finally cleaned out the theater in Richmond Virginia, as I scored the final 2 750B's out of it.
Seawolf, there's some discussion over at DIY Audio about working on 750B's and getting them up to the levels of 750D's.;)

I'll be using these bridged with a pair of 4645B's at 750 watts; and keeping the third I have as a backup to make sure I have an extra if one breaks.:D

scott fitlin
09-04-2010, 02:18 AM
LOL, guys I was ALWAYS a DIE HARD CROWN FAN! I like the BGW 750,s, no doubt, but not my fav amp.

I am moving into Parasound HALO amps, for 15,s and up, stay Crown on subs.

BGW is/was sturdy as all get out, and still works and holds up today. They are good pro amps. and yes, they WILL run really low impedance loads all day, all nite.

JBL 4645
09-05-2010, 01:06 AM
Larry
How many of those were ever made?

Strip the faceplate off clean it up re-paint, them to make it look new again.

You scored a good one there mate. Doesn’t Tom, seawolf97 have one of those in his set-up, I’m sure I saw one a few years back on thread he posted.

You keep picking those up in working order you’ll have your own Sensurround within a year!:D

JBL 4645
09-05-2010, 01:11 AM
LOL, guys I was ALWAYS a DIE HARD CROWN FAN! I like the BGW 750,s, no doubt, but not my fav amp.

I am moving into Parasound HALO amps, for 15,s and up, stay Crown on subs.

BGW is/was sturdy as all get out, and still works and holds up today. They are good pro amps. and yes, they WILL run really low impedance loads all day, all nite.

Well http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSE2ryCd8axxfUxoivxZxCQliMPatX9_ oQRZfuYbV8buujbK70&t=1&usg=__ANh48QlhK2_-ENJ-LQyX8YHQdLU= will sound like the dogs bollocks with Crown.:p

lgvenable
09-09-2010, 12:55 AM
the picture looks worse than the unit. If you take a little gunblacking and hit the exposed aluminum is a close match to anodization. The afterwards, you spray the face wiith WD40 wipe it off and acquire a great blue black patina. I'm installing these all in my wall next to the TV (7 250D 5 250E 3 750B) to get more space than the current setup. Perhaps I'll post a picture of the final setup.

Since these are intended for a home cinema with an audience of 5 to 8; they really fill the room with sound.

I've got tri-amped LF 2206H-mids as 2446J-2385B bi-radial horns, and a 2404H HF on the front three channels, with 4 8340's on each side and 6 across the rear. The high wide dsx channels are a set of JBL control 28's.The front channels are on active x-overs in three AB systems 713's. I have two 4645B single 18" 2242 subs on a Driverack 260 to equalize them.

In a 30 x 20 room with a dog leg by the seats all that once equalized by Auddessey sounds as good as the local IMAX. Anything past -6dB is staggering, and the DHC80.1 is good for +20? So I'll never get there.

or as my wife says: Just a little overkill.:D

JBL 4645
09-09-2010, 09:50 AM
I bet there neck busters lifting up as well!

You wouldn’t or shouldn’t need it all not for small room or (near field listening) you’d deafen yourselves! :D

How many seats have you got in the room? Been ripping out a few cinema seats as well? I’d say you’d easily get 20 plus in a 20 x 30 foot room.

Overkill is when you don’t need it as loud for a small room. I think even small cinema about or near the same volume size would have different setting to large auditoriums. 85db is loud enough around the seat middle, the front of course its going to be louder and the surrounds might sound bit distant at the front.

I’m still surprised of the condition for what 36 year old amps.

Yeah get assembled knocked up and up and running.:applaud:

lgvenable
10-30-2010, 05:54 AM
Man I love these scrappers and more so the guys on the theater end who are closing the theater's who don't understand what they've got.So here's more equipment from another theater in Kentucky.

I told them I'd pass on all the Community speakers; of which they had enough to do a 250 to 500 seat venue (HUGE three ways from an AMC theater).

So I scored 4 JBL2360A, horn throat JBL2506B bracket and JBL2446.....four sets of them....drum roll.....
$40.00 each:eek: .....160.00

So heres one of the sets less the bracket which I'm painting plus one of the 2446's; as I took everything apart to clean it all.The throats of the 2446's were pristine;everything looked practically new. The horn itself looks to need painting with a black satin as well.

So they replace my 2385 bi-radial horns with these (larger for sure) 2360 bi-radials;)

JBL 4645
10-30-2010, 07:15 AM
I wouldn’t be surprised if the brackets are still attached to the bass cabs.

Nice score on 2360-A.

Use (spray paint) it will look neater than paint brush, spraying gives a uniform smoother coating.

1audiohack
10-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Wow, all I can say is wow! I really like 2360's, 2365's too. I suppose thats why I have so many of them.

I had some friends at a car show in the parking lot of a closed theater and they noticed people coming and going through the doors, Jeremy enquired about the status of the theater and was told it was being converted int a church. He asked about the equipment and was told the seats had been sold and they just threw all the other stuff away! Damn!!!

Do you know what the Community stuff was? I don't know how much history you know about that company or how much of their stuff you may have knowingly heard but, they made a ton of really good sounding horns! They really were a pioneering sound company as well.

Have fun with all that stuff!!!

lgvenable
10-31-2010, 06:08 AM
Thanks Audiohack, I thought of you when I saw them.

While they are big they sound great. I've heard your remarks in other threads and after making measurements knew that I could use 3 of the 4 as my front left right center mids; as I mono-tri-amp the front channels. #4 becomes a spare at these prices.

The community stuff were three ways. He had like 8 of them, and each one was roughly 6' x 8' x 18" they were SERIOUSLY big. These had come out of an AMC theater. Problem was you'd have to take them apart and sell the parts; since the boxes had to add 200 to 300 lbs.

4645...they came with the JBL brackets I was painting them when I took the pic ya gotta read the post. Actually the alternate to painting the horns with Krylon fast dry satin, is to use Flitz and a Flitz ball, and polish out the horn face. Works great.

martin_wu99
12-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Scotty .....you spend more on gear in a week than I do in 5 years and have so much great audio info acquired in your head ( and I highly value your opinion ) that I'm hesitant to comment on your post , but feel a need to clarify it.

The BGW 750 A,B,C are a group of the early config rated at 225wpc ( 8 ohms )

The BGW 750 D,E,F are a later group rated at 350 wpc ( 8 ohms ) 600wpc (4 ohms) and contain better protection circuits

All the BGW 750's excel at low impedance loads, so if you have difficult to drive speakers, these do nicely.

BGW says "drives any load of 2 ohms or greater in dual channel mode"

(have the factory manuals open here, so not to talk out of my a$$)

Unless one really likes to look at meters , when at the same price...the D, E , F models are a much better deal. ( and for meter guys, the E has cool LED meters)

there are G and H models and they are of the last gen with more of the good stuff, but you generally wont find them in the same price range as their fore bearers.

There should be no difference in sound among the models.

The absolute authority on these is Tim (Loach71) , but I havnt seen him post for a while.

just the idea of that sounds awesome...:applaud:
How about BGW7500T and 8500T? I have both of them.and some BGW GTA,GTB are available around me.
Thanks,SEAWOLF97.

lgvenable
12-17-2010, 04:53 PM
the GTA series mono triamp I got off fleaBay had a couple of loud fans; the older 250E's dont have fans and are totally silent.;)

Of course the 750B's have a fan but its not overbearing like the fans in the GTA amp. As far as quality the later amps just don't have the "old school" charm for me. I can't hear a difference in sound quality; but the earlier 250D's and 250E's sound on par with modern Krell's especially if you replace the capacitors in the signal path.

JBL 4645
12-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Larry
Define loud have you put an SPL db metre on it measured at a few inches and then again at 1metre with range set at lower level. My pc fan is around 65dbc at a few inches measured from the back. The range is hard to pick up a meter away as the SPL only responds to 60db with -10db 50db that hardly shows up, so I guess it would show at 40db!

Maybe they need a bit of cleaning inside the amount of dust they must have drawn in over the years! Can the fan be regulated or doesn’t it have that option? Do you think they’ll get really hot when running them? Maybe just disconnect the fans!

I hardly run my amps hard enough to get hot! I don’t have fans in my amps, fans are not for living rooms the amps should be placed in separate room to isolate the sound! Then run cables and loudspeaker wire around and the issue will be sorted.

The Empire cinema has its amps for surrounds located in the booth for the stage channels and subs all amps are located behind the THX baffle wall and I can’t even hear the fans even when its quiet silent because they are insulated very well to keep fan noise out of the auditorium.

In the home fan amps are not suited for living rooms! so if you have a room behind the living room, knock a hole in the wall stick a port window up for video projector to beam out the light and stack all the amps in the other room and out of sight!
:xmas::tree:

Triumph Don
12-18-2010, 12:59 AM
Fans on amps just suck. Hate 'em. Noise just when you don't want it. Crown made these K2's..maybe someone makes new amps like those?

boputnam
12-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Do you think they’ll get really hot when running them? Maybe just disconnect the fans! :eek: :scold: If they have fans - use them. Krell, and others, have large heat sinks and do not have fans. Others' designs use the fans to keep weight down.

...fans are not for living rooms the amps should be placed in separate room to isolate the sound! Then run cables and loudspeaker wire around and the issue will be sorted.Yeah, Ashley, desirable if you can do it. While it's idea to keep speaker runs as short-as-possible - it is not always practicable in a (critcal) listening environment. I had to yield to this at home, and stuff my amps in the (large) under-stair pantry we have, and run 50-ft'ers to the mains. It works fine - and, the granola bars don't whine about the fan noise! :p