PDA

View Full Version : Mono Speaker Project for new member

dubwicht2010
08-01-2010, 09:44 AM
This is my first post! I live in Alberta Canada and have been building DIY speakers for about 10 years. I do not design speakers but build from DIY designes on the internet like John Kruke and others.

I recently aquired a nice old Stromberg Carlson circa 1958 integrated tube amplifier and would like to build a single speaker for it. Yesterday I found an Altec 808-8A compression driver for cheap at $100 and would like to use it with a 811B horn and N501-8A crossover.

However, the old matching Altec Drivers are very expensive and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a matching driver and cabinet that would work well with this tweeter and horn. The guy I purchased it from threw in an old Coral 12L-25B 10" driver but I am not sure what to do with it.

Also, the guy at the shop tested the 808-8A and it works. However, do you recommend having the driver remagnetized?

I cannot design cabinets or crossovers and would very much appreciate the help!

Thanks, Doug

speakerdave
08-01-2010, 02:35 PM
The horn and crossover are not a match. You should either pair the 501 with the 511b or get the 801 for use with your 811. Or better yet, find the threads here regarding the Valencia crossover and build one of those.

Single Altec 803's are not rare on ebay. That would be the best bet for a woofer, I think, in terms of price and compatibility.

dubwicht2010
08-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks Dave. I acutally meant the N801-8A rather than the N501. Thanks for the advice on the crossover and driver. I will look them up. Cheers, Doug