PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on L96 "clone"

_Attila_
07-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Hi, new to this forum, I'm seeking for some vintage JBL speakers.
After reading through the forum, I came to the conclusion that L96's or 4312A would best suit my needs for a start. The would be fed by a Kenwood 600.
I ran across a pair of L96's "clones"... You will understand the "" right now: the tweeters have been changed for 066, the mids are L05-10 and the bass are LE111. The X-over is the N96, I don't know if any modifications have been done! The speakers are mirror-imaged, so they don't respect the original alignment... And they are real wood...
I attached some pictures.
What do you think about it? (please don't stop at the blue face! :) ) Doe the build make any sense? Stay away or go for it? There is also a pair of original 4312A's...

Thanks for the help!

rdgrimes
07-22-2010, 08:58 AM
My initial reaction is that using an un-modified N96 XO with these drivers is a mistake.

wmmlynch
07-22-2010, 09:08 AM
I have owned 4312As, mirror imaged, since new (1989) and have been very pleased. The walnut cabinet versions are desirable. I can't speak for the L96 or a clone but the woofer on the 4312A has a traditional surround, not foam, which will hold up forever. I have owned other JBLs over the years. I recently had L22OA Oracles, which I really liked, but they are very large and heavy. I would have kept them but needed to downsize.

_Attila_
07-22-2010, 02:08 PM
My initial reaction is that using an un-modified N96 XO with these drivers is a mistake.

Good point. I don't know enough of the parameters of those drivers to judge by myself! Any opinion of the drivers disposition?

I have owned 4312As, mirror imaged, since new (1989) and have been very pleased. The walnut cabinet versions are desirable. I can't speak for the L96 or a clone but the woofer on the 4312A has a traditional surround, not foam, which will hold up forever. I have owned other JBLs over the years. I recently had L22OA Oracles, which I really liked, but they are very large and heavy. I would have kept them but needed to downsize.

I my case it would be the black studio version, but sure I would prefer the walnut cabinets! The LE111 have foam surrounds, but those have been refoamed a couple of years ago.
The 4312A I'm looking after have the bracket for ceiling mounting. I don't know how much and how big holes those would left in the sides...
Any idea someone?

Still, I don't know if I should go for the L96 clones or the 4312A... Never had the chance to listen to one or the other... I fear I could miss some bass on the 4312A!?

_Attila_
07-24-2010, 02:22 PM
No more opinions? No one to tell me stay away from those clones? or go get them? Or get the 4312A?
Hmm :hmm: ...

hjames
07-24-2010, 02:34 PM
No more opinions? No one to tell me stay away from those clones? or go get them? Or get the 4312A?
Hmm :hmm: ...

How do they sound to you?
That is the ultimate question you have to ask ...

Speaker sound is very much a personal choice -

some folks really like L100s, some don't ... some like horn drivers, some hate them -
its not a Yes/No binary kind of thing - only you can tell if you will really like them.