PDA

View Full Version : JBL L1 Mod!!

whej4312
08-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Hey Gang,

I just got done hot rodding a pair of L1's (6.5" 2-way)and boy what a surprise. I first started by getting rid of the Insulation in favor of polyfill. I put in a ladder brace in the middle of the cabinet as well as damping the interior of the cabinets with some vibrasorb damping sheets. I went through the crossovers and left most of the original topology with exception of adding an impedance circuit to the 035ti. But where the changes came from, was the use of AlphaCore flat ribbon coils, TRW Polypropylene caps, and Roderstein Resistors.. After I ran them for a few day's we compared them recently with a pair of B&W Nautilus 6"two way's and they smoked 'em.A friend of mine has a pair of Avalon Arcus' and I just say "Bring it" !!" Better depth, resolution and imaging. Not a bad little two way I must say!! Anybody played with this little sleeper?

kaz
05-25-2006, 08:46 AM
[/quote]with exception of adding an impedance circuit to the 035ti. But where the changes came from, was the use of AlphaCore flat ribbon coils, TRW Polypropylene caps, and Roderstein Resistors.. After I ran them for a few day's we compared them recently with a pair of B&W Nautilus 6"two way's and they smoked 'em.A friend of mine has a pair of Avalon Arcus' and I just say "Bring it" !!" Better depth, resolution and imaging. Not a bad little two way I must say!! Anybody played with this little sleeper?[/quote]

I own 2 pairs, like them as they are, but am intregued by your post.
I might like to try this "hot-rodding" process you describe.
Question...where did you find the upgrade parts...and what was the price of the upgrade?

I also have a set of L5's that I thoroughly enjoy...could this upgrade work as well for them as well???