PDA

View Full Version : Please pray for my son

Charley Rummel
07-31-2004, 09:55 AM
Last Saturday night we had a bar-b-queing accident in which my 7-year-old son's, sweatshirt ("hoodie", as they are known) caught fire, resulting in second and third degree burns over his right arm, upper back, and right rear-end. His sweatshirt was made of an acrylic material that flamed rapidly and melted, and stuck like napalm to his skin (The whole incident happenned whin a minute).

My wife got second degree burns on her hands, and I got second and third degree burns on my arms when we struggled to tare his burning clothes off (we rolled him around on the ground and that really didn't do anything).

Please pray for our son, not only for his physical injuries, but for his psycological well being too. He's showing increasing signs of post traumatic stress disorder.

Kind regards from the Rummel family

Don McRitchie
07-31-2004, 10:00 AM
Charley

My sincerest hopes and prayers for your son, family and yourself. I won't pretend to be able to imagine the anguish and trauma your family is experiencing. I just wish you all the best towards a full recovery.

Don

johnaec
07-31-2004, 10:05 AM
You're all definitely in my thoughts. I've been in another conversation, (different subject), on the flamability of the cloths they use for almost everything these days - whatever happened to good old natural fibers? Sure, they burn, but don't seem to have those instant flash points and other problems, (melting, etc.), of so many of today's synthetics.

'Hope you all make it through OK.

John

speakerdave
07-31-2004, 10:16 AM
My wife and I will keep you and your family in our heart. What is the boy's name?

David

Robh3606
07-31-2004, 10:45 AM
I am so sorry to hear about this terrible accident. We certainly will pray for all of you. Is there an email address we can send get well cards too?? Maybe that will help cheer him up a bit.

Rob:(

boputnam
07-31-2004, 11:50 AM
Charley...

That is a terrible happening. Truly awful. I've read and re-read your post, and the scene is terrible. Luckily you and your wife were close-by, and willing to take a stand - without your sacrifice, the lad would be much worse off. Wow.

Speedy recovery, man. :yes:

Alex Lancaster
07-31-2004, 11:53 AM
Charlie:

A few Ave Mariasī on the way.

Alex.

Charley Rummel
07-31-2004, 11:56 AM
Hi, Everyone:

Thank you all so very, very much. Our boy's name is D.J., which is short for Donald Jonathan. We're a little shy about putting our email address out on the net, but private messaging through the forum is OK.

Very kind regards,
Charley

Wardsweb
07-31-2004, 01:08 PM
Wow your post made me take a deep breath and open my eyes wide to keep them from tearing. There is no love greater than the love of a parent for their child. I know I would lay down my life for my mine without a second thought. We try so hard to minimize the pain in their lives, but stuff happens and it almost hurts us as much, seeing our children in pain. In such a traumatic experience, just be the caring parents you are, give him all the support and love you have and let the doctors take care of the body. You guys take care of his heart and soul. He will need lots of encouragement, support and love. There will be tough days ahead but as my Grandmother always told us, "and this too shall pass."

You and yours are in our prayers.

scott fitlin
07-31-2004, 02:00 PM
I will say prayers for D.J. and you and your family. I am truly sorry to hear about this,and hope for the best for your son, you, and your family.

God Bless.

dancing-dave
07-31-2004, 02:24 PM
My love goes out to you and your family. I know that your son will recover from this and do very well for himself.

Peace, David

boputnam
07-31-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Wardsweb
There will be tough days ahead ... :yes:

The first days are the hardest days, don't you worry anymore...

jtgyn
07-31-2004, 06:47 PM
G'Day Charley,
Very sorry to hear of this accident. I wish you all speedy recovery.

Regards Scott

IDF
08-01-2004, 03:25 AM
Charley

My prayers are with your son and family. I wish you all a total recovery.

Kind regards,
Phil

toque-eh!
08-01-2004, 11:42 AM
omigod charley, please have hope and find strength. what a terrible thing to have happen.

Steve Schell
08-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Charlie, I'm so sorry to hear of your family's terrible ordeal. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for you all.

Ken Pachkowsky
08-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Julie and I wish your family a speedy and total recovery from this tragedy. For what its worth I have a nephew that suffered a similar accident many years ago using gasoline to start a fire. He was nine at the time and has fully recovered.

You are all in our prayers.

Julie and Ken

JBL Dog
08-02-2004, 12:01 AM
GET WELL SOON, DJ!!

We're praying for you and your family!

Guy L
08-02-2004, 06:52 AM
Charley,

My prayers for a full and speedy recovery of all of you.

jontherev
08-02-2004, 09:25 AM
:eek: I can't imagine how I would deal with this if it was my daughter. He is in my thoughts and prayers. May your family be stronger than ever before and best of luck to DJ in his recovery.
Jon

Regis
08-02-2004, 09:50 AM
Hi Charley,
I hope your son heals from his injuries quickly and without permanent scars, both physically and mentally. I also hope that your wife and yourself heal too. What you described is a terrible chain of events and I'll pray for you and your loved ones today. My heartfelt sorrow goes out to you at what you'll have to endure. Sincerely, Regis

andresohc
08-02-2004, 11:06 PM
Our family wishes the best for your family and DJ. It is my belief that there is nothing harder then watching someone you love physically being hurt or in pain, especially a child. I also believe in the incredible strength of children to endure, survive and grow despite what life throws at them. Hang in there through the treatments and know that our family will be praying for you and DJ. I will put my two and four year old children on the job tonight.
With love and peace
The Fleuette Family. (also if you wanted to figure out a way for our family to get a card to DJ, my children would love to draw some pictures and get well cards for DJ)

scott fitlin
08-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Oh, I got tears in my eyes as I write this, and Im just trying to help, so, I was talking to my Mom yesterday about the accident, and she told me, which I knew already, that they have incredible treatment today! There are specialized burn centers here in NYC, as well as other major cities, and the things they can do these days is miraculous!

I wish we could go back, and make it all not have happened, but since we cant, they can do so much for your son, you and your wife!

Im sure your doctors will recommend what to do, and I also say that with the treatments and special surgeries that are available today, everybody will be able to lead normal, happy, healthy, lives! Especially DJ. He is at a crucial age! But, my feeling is that with what the medical profession is able to do these days, your son has an excellent prospect of living life as if this had never happened!

I was looking at some things online where badly burned people had their physical injuries healed, and some were very badly burned, and its amazing how they look like nothing ever happened to them. Not to mention how this will undoubtedly restore emotional well being, too!

I really dont know if this is the right time, but I dont think there ever could be a right time, I am sincerely trying to help, and my mom also sends you and your family her love and prayers.

Thank God there is help to be gotten.

Best regards, and all my best to you and your family.

Scott

dieterj
08-03-2004, 11:33 AM
I hope the best for your Son!

mikebake
08-04-2004, 12:16 PM
Hello Charley;

I just saw your post; one of my sons is 8, so I immediately related. I concur with some other posts here; his prospects should be quite good. Please keep us posted and let us know how prayer is working.

Mike Baker

mikebake
08-04-2004, 12:16 PM
Hello Charley;

I just saw your post; one of my sons is 8, so I immediately related. I concur with some other posts here; his prospects should be quite good. Please keep us posted and let us know how prayer is working.

Mike Baker

Figge
08-04-2004, 05:59 PM
i dont pray! But! i have been thinkinī about what has happend to u and your family!: its awful!

u will pull this through! and ur family will be happy again!

Im shure of it!

gonefishin
08-04-2004, 08:53 PM
:( Hi Charley,

May God look upon your child and all of your family with healing hands. Your family will be in my prayers as well.

It sounds as tho your son is surrounded by those who love him...this will certainly aid in healing both his body...as well as his mind. God Bless

I'm not sure where you live...but I did notice that it was in the Chicago area. Chicago actually has an excellent trauma burn unit care center, Loyola. What hospital is he at right now? Loyola would certainly be a good place to get him transferred to, if he isn't there already.

I hope he's doing well...if ya need anything at all...let us know

Sincerely,
Dan

jbl
08-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Charley,
Just saw your post. I hope your son will be well soon. Please keep us posted.

Regards
Ron

Audiobeer
08-07-2004, 04:50 PM
Just saw the post! In my prayers Charlie!

boputnam
11-29-2004, 10:37 AM
Hey, Charley...

We haven't heard anything for a while, and hope recovery is progressing. Any news?

scott fitlin
11-29-2004, 11:22 AM
How is everybody? Doing well i hope, please tell us, we care!

:)

Charley Rummel
11-29-2004, 10:23 PM
Hi, Everyone:

Thanks for asking about us. My son's burns are healing nicely, and we are working him back into sports at school on a limited basis; he's just as wild as any onther 7-year old boy, and he loves to rough-house with his 15 year old brother. He still has to be careful, however, since some of the burn areas can still injure easily. Even though he still has a way to go, the prognosis is excellent.

As for the psychological side of things, he is very much afraid of fire; he won't go near flames (not even the range in the kitchen). They were celebrating a fellow student's birthday in his school recently (seated next to him), and they had a birthday cake with candles on it. This completely freaked him out. Also, he sometimes may smell something which reminds him of the accident, or see something on TV involving a scene with an out of control fire, and will be upset by it. Our councelor said he may experience post traumatic stress disorder, and she was right. (We're all in counceling).

As for the rest of us, my wife's hand is completely healed; she was able to take care of my son and I with the bandage changes while we were first recovering, God bless her. The burns on my left arm are healed to the point where I have several dark patches with a couple of sensitive areas, and my right elbow still has a way to go, but I'm fine, otherwise. I'm able to do handy work projects again; for several weeks I couldn't do anything involving hands-on work (electrical, plumbing, carpentry, etc.). Also, I've been bar-b-queing again (a fond hobby of mine since my early teens) at the encouragement of my family and friends.

Again, thank you all so very much for your concern and support. It really means a lot to us.

Very kind regards,
Charley Rummel and Family

Robh3606
11-29-2004, 10:27 PM
Glad things are working out

Rob:thmbsup:

Steve Gonzales
11-30-2004, 12:38 AM
We most certainly will.

sa660
11-30-2004, 02:36 AM
Charley,
I have been busy and notice your message only today. I hope that you will all recover physicaly and mentaly. This horrible accident should be a big warning for all of us with kids. All the best wishes from my Wife, my 2 boys and myself.

Regards,

paragon
11-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Glad to hear this, Charly.

Best Regards to you all from germany, Eckhard

gassy
12-02-2004, 08:14 PM
I just read the thread from the beginning, Charley, and I'm glad things are going well for you and your family. Things can happen rather quickly, and I know since my oldest is 18(almost) and my youngest is 15(almost!). These boys were born a day apart in December(12/10/86 & 12/11/89), and seems it's always something since both play sports - broken bones are almost commonplace, if that's possible. But kids heal(physically) faster than we do, but sometimes the mental part takes longer!

Good luck & hope recuperation continues smoothly!

Alex Lancaster
12-02-2004, 08:18 PM
:) Charley:

You remind me, I hope our prayers are good, the rest is up to You.

Charley Rummel
12-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Thank you everyone for you continued prayer and moral support.

Special Kind Regards
Charley Rumnmel and Family

PS: Happy Holidays to All!