PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy JBL Synthesis

JBL 4645
06-07-2010, 05:54 AM
This is my basic concept of my JBL Synthesis. What’s yours?

This is the basic fronts the surround (basic idea) might frighten most!:p

I like the JBL

Array Dual 8 Module SAM2LF

General
Low-Frequency Transducers Dual 8" (200mm) deep-anodized-aluminum cone and dome material with dual inside neodymium magnets, shielded motor structure and 2: (51mm) voice coils
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 92dB
Frequency Response (-3dB) 36hZ TO 40kHz (For the complete speaker module, SAM1HF/SAM2LF together)
Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power 300 Watts
Crossover Frequency N/A
Nominal Impedance 6 Ohms
Dimensions (H x W x D) 20" X 10" x 10-3/4" (508mm x 254mm x 273mm) Dimensions do not include mounting hardware or feet. Add 3" (75mm) depth for mounting hardware, and 1" (25mm) height for feet.
Weight 29 lb (13kg)

Array Horn Module SAM1HF

General
UHF Transducer 045Ti 1" (25MM) Pure titanium compression driver with aluminum edge-wound voice coil and 2" (51mm) neodymium motor assembly, mounted in a SonoGlass® constant-directivity horn
High-Frequency Transducer 435AL-1 3" (75mm) Aquaplas-treated aluminum-dome compression driver with aluminum edge wound voice coil and neodymium motor assembly, mounted in a vertical SonoGlass® constant directivity horn
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 98dB
Frequency Response (-3dB) 36Hz-40kHz (for the complete speaker module, SAM1HF/SAM2LF together)
Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power 300 Watts
Crossover Frequency 9kHz
Nominal Impedance 6 Ohms
Dimensions (H x W x D) 17-1/4" x 8" x 11-1/2" (438mm x 200mm x 292mm) Dimensions do not include mounting hardware or feet. Add 3" (75mm) depth for mounting hardware, and 1" (25mm) height for feet.
Weight 25 lb (11kg)

Ultra2 Subwoofer S1S-EX

General
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) 97dB @ 50Hz
Impedance 8 Ohms Nominal
Bass Driver 18" Aquaplas™ cone
Power Rating 800 Watts
Frequency Response 20Hz – 200Hz
Dimensions (H x W x D) 34-1/2" x 21" x 22"
876mm x 533mm x 559mm
Weight 129 lb/58.6kg

The JBL array offers flexible easy to install in small sized rooms.

I’d sooner go with Alesis RA500 due to cost along with Behringer DCX2496 and multiples of FBQ2496 for the paramtric equalization.

Hey! It’s just a fantasy.:p

Titanium Dome
06-07-2010, 09:21 AM
What about your surrounds?

JBL 4645
06-07-2010, 09:27 AM
What about your surrounds?

You liked to see the concept I have in mind. Okay it will take me a few hours to do. The first one took just over an hour.

So I hope you’re relaxed chilled :beach: with a glass of ice cold lemonade.

I’ll be back in few hours.

grumpy
06-07-2010, 09:37 AM
JBL Synthesis Grail? I expected a different exchange:

ASH: Go and tell your master that we have been charged by God
with a sacred quest. If he will give us food and shelter for the
night he can join us in our quest for the JBL HT Grail.
Two Jims's GUARD: Well, I'll ask him, but I don't think he'll be very keen...
Uh, he's already got one, you see?
ASH: What?
ULI (Behringer): He says they've already got one!
ASH: Are you sure he's got one?
Two Jim's GUARD: Oh, yes, it's very nice-a [To Other Guards] I told him we already got one.
OTHER GUARDS: [Laughing]
ASH: Well, um, can we come up and have a look?
GUARD: Of course not! You are English types-a!

JBL 4645
06-07-2010, 11:35 AM
JBL Synthesis Grail? I expected a different exchange:

ASH: Go and tell your master that we have been charged by God
with a sacred quest. If he will give us food and shelter for the
night he can join us in our quest for the JBL HT Grail.
Two Jims's GUARD: Well, I'll ask him, but I don't think he'll be very keen...
Uh, he's already got one, you see?
ASH: What?
ULI (Behringer): He says they've already got one!
ASH: Are you sure he's got one?
Two Jim's GUARD: Oh, yes, it's very nice-a [To Other Guards] I told him we already got one.
OTHER GUARDS: [Laughing]
ASH: Well, um, can we come up and have a look?
GUARD: Of course not! You are English types-a!

:p oh that was funny :rotfl: no more I'm, pissing myself with laughter. oh, dear sigh lol that was funny.:D

I’ve heard the JBL Holy Grail 20 years ago and its impressing of presentation has been a testament a benchmark that I still dwell on the past the Empire had a wicked JBL THX sound certification. Loud effects felt like an Earthquake! They impact with sweaty hard palm feeling of gripping the rocker seat for dear life. Even the softer low end Foley, effects was felt. Dialogue was realistically critically crystal clear. Wide engagement of dialogue panning was just as clear at the front 5th row as it was in the circle.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
70mm Dolby stereo SR (SS)

I’ve selected the (SK2 Speaker SK2-1000BT) for surround use as it has greater wide frequency response over the (THX Surround Loudspeaker S4AI).

Also the size is smaller for multiple to be placed around the room.

The Fantasy Synthesis surround took longer than I expected.

I’ve rotated the DCX2496 to line up with the surround arrays and it might be a bit hard to follow.

Several (DCX2496) will provide the backbone to support each amp to each (JBL SK2 Speaker SK2-1000BT) the DCX2496 has basic 9 bands of parametric equalization that will get extra support from BFQ2496 daisy chained to give up to 40 bands parametric equalization to smoothen out the response around the seating area.

What I’d do is do away with the passive crossover and go fully active so that I have control over the LF and HF to tailor it for any differences between the LCR fronts.

Two DCX496 have to be used for centre back due to the amount of active crossover channels needed as each DCX2496 only supports 6 outputs per DCX2496 and 8 channels is needed for this Fantasy Synthesis set-up.

Each surround will have its own

Distance delay time for LF / HF
Parametric EQ for each speaker
Dynamic EQ for each speaker
Crossover for each speaker
Audio limiter for each LF / HF for maximum protection

This doesn’t, included the (overhead matrix surround) as most AVR don’t support it in the same way as the Dolby SA-10 professional decoder does. It’s basically a simple Dolby stereo matrix decoder or basic Dolby stereo pro-logic decoder added onto the existing AVR / AVP just like the cinema version.

The Alesis are affordable have an easy barograph LED readout display. Reason for the RA300 for the surrounds is that the surrounds will be closer to the seating area, so not much power will be needed and given the sensitivity of the (SK2 Speaker SK2-1000BT) 93db will provide enough sonic action for bleeding ears-years.

THX Surround Loudspeaker S4AI
General
Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power 200 Watts single-driven or 175 watts-per-array dual-driven
Nominal Impedance 6 Ohms
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) 90dB
Frequency Response (–3dB) 80Hz – 20kHz
Crossover Frequencies Dipole mode: 800Hz, 3.6kHz
Bipole mode: 800Hz, 3.6kHz
Direct mode: 2.5kHz
High-Frequency Transducers Triple 1" pure-titanium domes with rubber surrounds, shielded, with EOS waveguides
Midrange Transducer(s) Dual 4" dome with rubber surrounds, neodymium magnet and cast-aluminum baskets
Low-Frequency Transducer 8" Dual-voice-coil inverted dome with rubber surround and cast-aluminum basket
Connections Speaker: 4-conductor push-type, 10-16 gauge;
Control: 2-conductor screw terminal, 18-24 gauge
Dimensions
(H x W x D) 23-7/8" x 14" x 3-3/4"
(606mm x 356mm x 95mm)
Weight 23 lb (10.45kg)
THX Ultra2™-certified Dipole Surround Loudspeaker
Installer-Configurable to 8", 3-Way Dipole Operation
Auto-Switchable to Direct-Radiating Pattern Using 12 Volt Trigger
Single or Dual Drive Capability; Horizontal or Vertical Orientation; 90° Rotatable Mid/High Array for Use In-Wall or In-Ceiling
Fits Completely Flush in a Standard 4" Depth Wall or Ceiling
Factory Configured in 8", 3-Way Bipole Operational Mode
Integrated One-Piece Back Box
Retrofit (S4RFB) and New Construction (S4PCB) Bracket A vailable

SK2 Speaker SK2-1000BT

General
Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power 300 Watts (RMS)
Impedance 8Ω
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) 93dB
Frequency Response (–6dB) 55Hz – 50kHz (Anechoic)
Crossover Frequencies 800Hz, 10kHz
Ultrahigh-Frequency Driver 1-inch 045Be Pure-beryllium compression driver with 0.35"-throat Bi-Radial® horn
High-Frequency Transducer 3-inch 435Be Pure-beryllium compression driver with 1.5"-throat Bi-Radial® horn
Low-Frequency Transducer Dual 10-inch 2251J-2 AquaPlas™-coated, pul-cone woofers with 4" edge-wound voice coils and EPDM rubber surrounds, and utilizing Alnico magnets
Dimensions
(H x W x D) 22" x 25" x 9-1/2" (11" with horn)
559mm x 635mm x 241mm (279mm with horn)
Weight 77 lb (35kg) per speaker

The SK2 Speaker SK2-1000BT even extends up to 50 KHz so they are even good enough for passing bats flying overhead.

You might have to do headstand to look at the diagram.:D

Titanium Dome
06-07-2010, 09:24 PM
You'd need a big effing room for all those SK2-1000BTs. I guess you'd better let us know the size of the room in your fantasy. ;)

JBL 4645
06-08-2010, 05:07 AM
You'd need a big effing room for all those SK2-1000BTs. I guess you'd better let us know the size of the room in your fantasy. ;)

What I like appealing about the SK2 is that they look similar to the JBL 8333 design only smaller and compact do you agree? That’s what caught my eye.

http://www.thaisecondhand.com/view/productpic/08/08/p6775978n1.jpg http://www.audioheritage.org/photopost/data//515/50JBL_SK2-1000.JPG

You know the size of my room its just a little bit smaller and little bit bigger than your room.

15 feet long
10 feet wide
7 feet 8” high

Those would fit like glove in this room because you have to have cinema passion.

What is the concept of home cinema? It’s all about re-creating the cinema feel. (Since the early 80’s) when the first domestic Dolby surround decoders appeared followed not soon after by the Dolby surround Pro-Logic.

So basically I need to go back and re-do the diagram :D LOL because the super high tweeter needs its own amp. Or then again you can just connect to the passive crossover which will have its own filters to handle the difference at crossover points between horn and super high tweeter.

The more amps the more costly the project will become.

And one would say. “You need all those amps just to watch a film”?

Yep!:D

What is the pricing for these SK2 not rep prices the prices at different independent websites.
As the speaker is not listed on, Google Shopping.

Then compare it with the pricing of the 8333 when it was introduced and today prices if still available thou I know it’s a discontinued model.

Jonas_h
09-19-2010, 01:34 PM
The SK2-1000's are about 8800 dollars each. (In Europe - don't know the US prices).

I don't get why you would use the SK2-1000's as surround speakers and then use the SAM-modules for LCR. The SAM modules are great, but the SK2-1000 is a much better speaker - use them in front and then the SAM as surrounds. And drop the Behringers and go with SDEC/BSS Units :)