PDA

View Full Version : Jbl control 5 re foam

kells
05-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Hey people

I have a pair of JBL Control 5 monitors, one of which is in need of repair, i think it may need a recone or re foam ?, as the foam around the edge of the speaker has crumbled away?, this has only happened on one of the speakers but im guessing its best to do them both?

Anyone know if this is a easy job on this speaker and if so any advice?

JBL 4645
06-01-2010, 12:48 AM
Use google to find repair edge foam surround kits. ebay has lots of them.

kells
06-01-2010, 09:24 AM
yeah seen the kits, want a decent kit tho and nothing cheepo as i dont wanna loose any quality

how easy is the job to do? cant seem to seperate the speaker at all, are they bonded toghether ?

JBL 4645
06-01-2010, 10:25 AM
yeah seen the kits, want a decent kit tho and nothing cheepo as i dont wanna loose any quality

how easy is the job to do? cant seem to seperate the speaker at all, are they bonded toghether ?

There are 6 Allen-key screws holding the front together, so start by buying set of Allen-keys.

It’s a bit tight when pulling the front baffle apart.

Use a smaller Allen-key and a tiny spanner to hold the nut and unscrew the bass mid driver.

kells
06-01-2010, 02:22 PM
There are 6 Allen-key screws holding the front together, so start by buying set of Allen-keys.

It’s a bit tight when pulling the front baffle apart.

Use a smaller Allen-key and a tiny spanner to hold the nut and unscrew the bass mid driver.

cheers, iv got loads of allen key sets so thats cool, just wasnt sure if the unit was bonded as it seems stuck tight! ill order a refoam kit and give it another go

sonofagun
06-01-2010, 02:27 PM
There are numerous companies/businesses that specialize in repairing speakers including refoam/recone work. You may want to consider having the work done professionally by such. Looking around this and other audio related sites will provide you much information.

kells
06-01-2010, 02:49 PM
There are numerous companies/businesses that specialize in repairing speakers including refoam/recone work. You may want to consider having the work done professionally by such. Looking around this and other audio related sites will provide you much information.

did consider this, but the place i wanted to use basically told me they wont look at domestic speakers!, i kind of need it up and running quckly as im a DJ and i have these in my studio

iv just orederd this kit

http://www.speaker-repairs.co.uk/shop/refoam/control.html

the only part that is on my mind is actually getting the cabinet apart as when i removed the screws it still seemed like it was bolted together!?

kells
06-03-2010, 11:49 AM
hey people

right got my cabinet opened up and the speaker removed, got the old foam off and ready to fit the ne witem which will be here tomo

my question is, do i need to shim or not???

kells
06-06-2010, 12:07 PM
guessing nobody knew the answer haha

anyhow, job is now done and the control 5's are sounding fantastic, very pleased with the results

cheers all

JBL 4645
06-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Well I’m glad you’re pleased got any pictures.:)

bigyank
06-06-2010, 03:45 PM
hey people

right got my cabinet opened up and the speaker removed, got the old foam off and ready to fit the ne witem which will be here tomo

my question is, do i need to shim or not???

No shims required. Use gravity as your guide. I refoamed my pair and used a 60 Hz test tone via wave file and low level output from an amplifier to center (the cone (no scraping sounds).

The woofer and tweeters, last time I checked were still available new as well (JBL C5003) if your task at hand filas. Good luck and show us pics.

Yank

kells
06-07-2010, 10:24 AM
hey guys cheers for the replys

didnt get no pics as my camera is on loan to a friend:( (who seems to think he now owns it:D)

got them playing now as the guy i got the foams from told me 15 hours before i get the best out of them, they sound fantastic at the mo so if they get better than this ill be over the moon, i cant remember them ever sounding so good!! really i cant, really happy. i was thinking they sounded poor for a while before the foams fell to bits

i use these as monitors in my studio for my DJ set up, playing house and techno so lots off pumping bass..

use EV's too, the JBLs sound as good as those now!

i did not need shims on these, used pegs that you would use on a washing line, then glued down a quater at a time on the chassis of the basket.

was faffy joining the foam to the cone as its stuck to the rear on the control 5's but i managed to do a factory look finish and once dried i gave all joins another small bead of glue to ensure a air tight fit

got these badboys running on a CROWN POWERTECH 3.

JBL 4645
06-07-2010, 01:12 PM
didnt get no pics as my camera is on loan to a friend:( (who seems to think he now owns it:D)

That is the poorest excuse I’ve read in months.:nopity:

If man goes to the moon they take camera if man climbs Everest they take a camera.

I have at least three devices no four devices that can capture pictures.

The pc webcam
Mobile phone
Video and picture camera
And my lousy cheap but handy digital camera :D for snap shots and video (without sound).

You mean to say you didn’t document this. Get the camera back today and start taking some pictures of the foam that may still be in the rubbish bin.

That camera belongs to you and you should has your friend to buy a reasonable cheap affordable digital camera for less than £100.00 at ASDA.

got them playing now as the guy i got the foams from told me 15 hours before i get the best out of them, they sound fantastic at the mo so if they get better than this ill be over the moon, i cant remember them ever sounding so good!! really i cant, really happy. i was thinking they sounded poor for a while before the foams fell to bits

Guess that is the time it needs for the glue to bound soundly.

I’d sooner get some rubber edge surrounds and stripe my control 5 down and replace them with rubber surrounds.

kells
06-07-2010, 01:51 PM
:D sorry man hehe, should have took a few on the mobile phone i guess :(

tbh i just needed to get this little project done quick time and get these JBL's back in service

got these pics, all i can get im afraid

whats left of the kit i used

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/4712/sv202859.jpg (http://img535.imageshack.us/i/sv202859.jpg/)

Only remains of foam i can find in the bin (was not alot left on the speakers they were that far gone)

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/2311/sv202860.jpg (http://img693.imageshack.us/i/sv202860.jpg/)

back together working better than ever!

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/8016/jbl1.jpg (http://img709.imageshack.us/i/jbl1.jpg/)

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/591/jbl2.jpg (http://img707.imageshack.us/i/jbl2.jpg/)

JBL 4645
06-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Yeah now that’s more like it. :applaud: The foam looks like it was put though a paper shredder.

They look in good nick. How long have you had them for because you sound rather young and foam surround would normally last for 20 years before replacing it?

I can’t believe how much glue they supply for two edge foam surrounds. You got enough glue there to sink a battleship.:D

At least they’ve given you some Q-tips for cleaning out your ears.:D

Did they supply the cardboard ring that goes around the basket on top of the foam?

Yeah see it’s not all that hard to do its like replacing light bulb. Well done damn good show.

kells
06-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Yeah now that’s more like it. :applaud: The foam looks like it was put though a paper shredder.

They look in good nick. How long have you had them for because you sound rather young and foam surround would normally last for 20 years before replacing it?

I can’t believe how much glue they supply for two edge foam surrounds. You got enough glue there to sink a battleship.:D

At least they’ve given you some Q-tips for cleaning out your ears.:D

Did they supply the cardboard ring that goes around the basket on top of the foam?

Yeah see it’s not all that hard to do its like replacing light bulb. Well done damn good show.

im 32, and iv had these around 15 years or so, i started dj'ing in 1989 i got these a few years after but they have had ALOT of use, powered by the crown amp which is very powerfull. as i mentioned before i play house and Techno, very loud, so the speakers have been used how they should be :bouncy::D

the cardboard ring (gasket) did not come with the kit, but its very easy to remove and replace, its actually in 3 parts on the speaker frame and fits together like a jigsaw, it is quite thick and you would have to be quite clumsy to damage it, mine came off using a small blade screwdriver and was like new when i replaces, i left it overnight with the speaker upside down with a brick on top as a weight

i look after all my equipment which is why the speakers are still in great shape, they cost me alot from a time i did not have much money, records are not cheep (i have over 5000) and the crown amp was a fortune too not to mention the Technics decks, so i looked after them like they were my babies :D

the foams were basically all gone, when i pulled the front grill off i was greeted by aload of black dust haha, they had not been sounding too good recently which is why i took a look. i really cant believe how good they sound now.. really good speakers the control 5 :)

JBL 4645
06-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Well I'm 41 or am I 42 I forget which? I'm losing my marbles. :D

There okay so, so (just kidding):p which is why, I’ve owned a set for 20 years this year.

I don’t like the hush passive crossover which is why I’ve modified them with active crossover for LF/HF and max the safety with audio limiter on each LF / HF as well as dynamic EQ to enhance the softer sounds without playing at ear bleeding levels!

Let me guess 1210mkII LOL

5000 LP that is lot! :eek:

I wasn’t on the internet around 2002 when my control 5 gave up the ghost with the same issues. I had to get another pair as they are not sold in singularly.

I can’t believe the PA music store, (where I brought my fist pair around early 1990) why they wouldn’t suggest re-foaming the edge surround :banghead: they’d sooner sale another pair and make money. I hate Hi-Fi dealers, scummy scum bag snakes.:biting:

kells
06-08-2010, 12:54 AM
Well I'm 41 or am I 42 I forget which? I'm losing my marbles. :D

There okay so, so (just kidding):p which is why, I’ve owned a set for 20 years this year.

I don’t like the hush passive crossover which is why I’ve modified them with active crossover for LF/HF and max the safety with audio limiter on each LF / HF as well as dynamic EQ to enhance the softer sounds without playing at ear bleeding levels!

Let me guess 1210mkII LOL

5000 LP that is lot! :eek:

I wasn’t on the internet around 2002 when my control 5 gave up the ghost with the same issues. I had to get another pair as they are not sold in singularly.

I can’t believe the PA music store, (where I brought my fist pair around early 1990) why they wouldn’t suggest re-foaming the edge surround :banghead: they’d sooner sale another pair and make money. I hate Hi-Fi dealers, scummy scum bag snakes.:biting:

20 years wow, longer than me haha, i like the sound of the modifications you made, how did you do this? what style music are you putting through them too ?

and yeah they are Technics 1210MK2's although alot of clubs now dont have them, these days its all about Pioneers CDJ 1000's, and downloads, so all the new music i buy is download now, i have around another 4000 downloaded tunes too!, i play out in the clubs most fridays and saturday nights and have also promoted my own club night events where i have had some of the worlds biggest DJ's play for me, i love it

i use a program called SERATO SCRATCH LIVE which basically means i can use downloads on my technics via my mac laptop and control records, you can also se it with the CDJ's via controlm CDs which turn a signal into the actual tune, its an amazing bit of kit and takes nothing away from the DJ's abilitys

http://serato.com/scratchlive

RE hifi stores, yep know what you mean!!! annnoying.

JBL 4645
06-08-2010, 04:17 AM
kells

There really wasn’t much to it. I unscrewed the four screws and removed the passive crossover and feed smaller cable wires though the holes (one for HF and one for LF). Connected them up to the (LF bass mid and HF tweeter) then placed a tiny amount of superglue around the edge of the passive crossover plate and firmly stuck it to the back of the enclosure.

It would ply lose if I leaved it and pushed it from the inside thou, something tells me it won’t it doesn’t really matter I just don’t (not having control over the sound).

Now, I’m in total control of the sound what, goes to each speaker element.

I mostly use the control 5’s and 1’s along with diy JBL 4645 sub for films and occasional music CD pop or soundtracks, mostly 98% films (laserdisc DVD bluray)

I’d have to look for the (thread page link) to the, post that I posted a few years ago.

I think I understand what you mean about the Pioneer I think I’ve seen one at HMV if I’m not too mistaken, a few years ago, I don’t pay much attention to it. I have a few LP soundtracks (myself) and no turntable anymore. LOL

Well at least you asked about the issue otherwise someone, here might have said “get a new pair”.

There is one place in the UK that sales the control 5 for a pair for around £105.00 pounds I think? It’s called, Future Projections that mostly supply cinemas with PA sound and projectors, etc.

You have to phone and ask because their website page doesn’t list the speakers anymore (any speakers) they keep playing around with the site webpage.

http://www.fproj.com/

Anyway last I saw they where around £105.00 pounds and that is lower than anywhere else in the UK, otherwise its £200 or £400 pounds.

This is the direct sound system page and unless there is secret “Rabbit Hole” to crawl down you’re guess to the speakers page is as good as mine. :dont-know:
http://www.fproj.com/sound.html

Here’s one of few that I did a doctor Frankenstein on a few JBL control 5 with rubber surround the first one isn’t on this page as I didn’t have camera at the time, I think?
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?17322-Re-edged-one-of-the-JBL-control-5&highlight=

I’ve looked up and down this old thread and can’t find it!
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?11167-JBL-Control-1-summertime-project-surround-array-and-more!

I just can’t find the thread I, I know where it is now! Its on the Behringer DCX2496 thread.

I started around here once I got the crossover unit (trail and error at first)
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?17457-Behringer-DCX2496-digital-x-over-any-good/page7

I believe “Catwoman” (2004) was the first film I played with the fully active cat-over.
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?17457-Behringer-DCX2496-digital-x-over-any-good/page11

I also tried something like placing control 1 on top of the control 5 kinder like Tri-amp control (only I had few amps) so it was mostly what it says in the thread. It sounds kinder neat for films.

kells
06-09-2010, 08:05 AM
hey sorry for late repky, been mad busy working on some new music now my speakers are on the go again :bouncy:

sounds great what you did with yours be interesting to hear how they perform

thats what i was gonna say before, i almost had a pair of control 5 plus, these have a 8in driver, never heard them but i bet they are good, rubber surrounds too!

is the price of £105 each i take it, that is still well cheep, they go for more than that second hand still dont they

JBL 4645
06-10-2010, 04:16 AM
£105.00 for the pair!

kells
06-10-2010, 02:14 PM
£105.00 for the pair!

Eh, how come so cheep? they are like 3 times that price new maybe more

that cant be right, i might get some new ones if thats the case, blimey cant get my head round that :blink:

hjames
06-11-2010, 04:42 AM
One of the other members here, Scott Fitlin, owns the Eldorado bumper car house at Coney Island in NY - He does the DJing there and he's talked about the Serato music system before. He's got a HUGE permanently installed system at his place. GIANT WOOFERS, killer Ampz! (really, no kidding!)
Anyway, do a search here on Serato to see what he's said ...

and yeah they are Technics 1210MK2's although alot of clubs now dont have them, these days its all about Pioneers CDJ 1000's, and downloads, so all the new music i buy is download now, i have around another 4000 downloaded tunes too!, i play out in the clubs most fridays and saturday nights and have also promoted my own club night events where i have had some of the worlds biggest DJ's play for me, i love it

i use a program called SERATO SCRATCH LIVE which basically means i can use downloads on my technics via my mac laptop and control records, you can also se it with the CDJ's via controlm CDs which turn a signal into the actual tune, its an amazing bit of kit and takes nothing away from the DJ's abilitys

http://serato.com/scratchlive

RE hifi stores, yep know what you mean!!! annnoying.

JBL 4645
06-11-2010, 05:51 AM
Eh, how come so cheep? they are like 3 times that price new maybe more

that cant be right, i might get some new ones if thats the case, blimey cant get my head round that :blink:

No, £105.00 pounds because it’s an old model that maybe in current production still but it’s an old model never the less. Even the control was around £35.00 pounds I think? At Ricker sounds the control 1 used to sale for £49.98 then the price went up to present £59.98, that would be the silver model that I have x12!

jdb
02-24-2011, 08:10 PM
I have to re-foam my control 5 woofers and am having trouble removing them from the cabinet. I took off the grille no problem at all and removed the four screws holding the woofer to the cabinet. Then I figured out there is no way I am fitting a 5 inch woofer through a 5 inch hole :crying:. Also I removed the six screws on the front of the cabinet. Does the front of the unit come off somehow? It does not want to budge...what gives? Please help!

MikeBrewster77
02-24-2011, 09:33 PM
There's 6 screws (3 on either side) of the baffle. Remove them, remove the baffle, and then easily access the woofer.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Control%20Series/Control%205WH.pdf

Edit: Oops, I see that you mention you did remove the screws. To answer your question, yes the front baffle does come off. You did remove the rubber "bumper" from around the unit prior to attempting to take off the front, correct?

JBL 4645
02-24-2011, 10:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehxjTLStyqo&feature=player_embedded

Did a quick video for those who are not confident at remove the front baffle from the front of the control 5 it’s the same with control 1 easy, not sure about control 10 and 12 SR never owned one to try it, but I assume the assembly is the same.

You need a Allan keys and pair of pointed nose pliers or socket to fit over the tiny nut inside the box that keeps the bass/mid in place.

Its piss easy to remove you can’t possible break it unless you’re totally careless.

jdb
02-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks Mike and especially JBL for the great video. You guys rock! I was able to remove the woofers and my re-foaming project was a success. They sound like brand new control 5s again!!!:bouncy: