PDA

View Full Version : DBX Driverack PA+. How do you power on and power off?

gsb001
05-15-2010, 08:43 AM
I read manual and there was no mention on how to turn on and off?
What am I missing?
Tks, SB

1audiohack
05-15-2010, 04:05 PM
With the plug man! Saved them .65¢ on the switch.;)

I don't own one however if I couldn't find the answer I would ask on the DBX forum, some ones got to know.

I hear the PA+ doesn't pop on shut down, if you ever figure out how to turn it off let me know if that's true wont you please? Plug your ears just in case!:p

Mike Caldwell
05-16-2010, 06:48 AM
For pro audio use as the Drive Rack PA+ is intended (though I would have reservations about that!) having the system DSP power switch accidentally turned off during a show is not something you want to happen. With out a switch it helps eliminate that. I think they did take care of the power up and power down spike on the PA+ series. A fair amount of pro equipment has the power switch on the back and that has always made me wonder why have one at all!

JBL 4645
05-16-2010, 10:37 AM

I don't own one however if I couldn't find the answer I would ask on the DBX forum, some ones got to know.

I hear the PA+ doesn't pop on shut down, if you ever figure out how to turn it off let me know if that's true wont you please? Plug your ears just in case!:p

Switch the unit ON/OFF powering sequence

First switch OFF the amps! This way you’d avoid any possible thud or popping sound (which is fairly common in most audio products).

After switching OFF the amps start by (powering down the other processors)

Powering up

First switch on the processors, with amplifiers last! If they happen to have speaker mode (A/B switch), its okay to switch them ON first or last! PA amps don’t come A/B speaker switches, so, just get into the habit of powering up processors first! Amps last!

mikebake
05-16-2010, 10:42 AM
I think they did take care of the power up and power down spike on the PA+ series.
Not on mine.

Mike Caldwell
05-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Not on mine.

I rest my case as to not calling the DR PA or PA+ "Pro"

To answer the original question you could get one of the power sequencing units available from Furman or similar units from other companies. With one of those just the flip of one switch will turn everything on in the proper order and power down in the reverse order.

boputnam
05-16-2010, 02:17 PM
As per usual, amps up last, amps down first.

As visiting engineer, I typically power down a lot of outboard dynamics and FX if I'm not going to use them, and have to unplug the Driveracks I come across - I bypass them to insert my xta into the signal chain. It's a nuisance, but I suppose dbx thought no one would ever not want them on... :blink:

scott fitlin
05-17-2010, 02:34 AM

This is incorrect. MANY professional or semi pro, or pro-sumer items do not have a front panel power switch for a VERY valid reason.

Sometimes, accidentally, a power switch could get turned off by mistake, while the system is playing. And then, EVEN WORSE, could then be turned back on by an inexperienced user, again, while the system is still playing, and possibly with the user not having even turned down the source program level. Something like this would definitely be a NOT pleasant experience. And it HAS happened this way. I mean, think of it this way, YOU are the nightclub owner, you have a serious dance club, with a TOTL name brand dance club sound system, brands like EAW or Funktion One, and EAW and Funktion One TOTL dance club systems cost SEVERAL HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS! How would YOU like to hear the On/Off switch operated with your system being played during the peak hours of a Saturday evening with 2500 people dancing and drinking in YOUR club? Better yet, IF this mishap also results in a good deal of damage to parts of the system, it wouldn't only be the repair bill your staring at, your Saturday night receipts will DEFINITELY be affected, too!

Years ago, during the 1970,s, when DISCO exploded, nightclubs and discos began opening everywhere. The PREMIUM mixer/preamp of the day was The Bozak CMA-10-2DL, and this was a fantastic, all discrete circuitry, well built mixer. However, it did have a front panel on/off switch, and where it was located made this switch prone to being accidentally hit by the DJ while moving his/her hand during play. In clubs that had systems installed by the professional contractor/installers, and designers of the day EVERY one of them had that on/off switch internally bypassed, and/or also removed the switch completely, and replaced the switch with a black button head screw and washer.

Today, DJ/Dance club specific gear, like mixers, DJ crossovers, and effects units like Isolators, and five band program EQ,s, meant to mounted in the DJ console, and meant to be operated by the DJ during the clubs operation, DO NOT have on/off switches for this reason. Same thing for pro sound gear for the professional markets.

As Bo stated, the use of a power sequencer takes care of any signal processing that does not have on/off switches, and proper turn on and turn off procedure is something EVERYONE should know, whether a pro user or home hobbyist.

Since the DBX Driverack Pro and PA units are intended for some semblance of pro use, they not only don't need the power switch, they are better off without them, at all.

1audiohack
05-17-2010, 06:30 AM
Easy Trigger, I was just kidding!

scott fitlin
05-17-2010, 07:08 AM
OK, I just never know anymore these days when people are either serious or goofing.

It's all good, also, good to hear from you Roy Rogers, :D

Earl K
05-17-2010, 07:36 AM
Funny thread .

I've never encountered one of these units so ;

Since I'm in SR, I thought it worth my while to read ( or try to ) the OM for the DRPA+ ( as it's sometimes referred to ) .

I first read DBXs' "QuickStart Guide" for the PA+ .
- At 11.7 Mb don't bother downloading it ( unless you need it ) .

Here's the ( most likely ) source of the OPs confusion .

After the due diligence of my quick-read, I speculated that there may be a "Magic Handshake" involved ( hold 3 specific keys down for 3 seconds , etc. )
--- ( until those with actual experience chimed in ) .

Guys, never underestimate the clarity of a straightup answer .;)

BTW, So far, no-one has actually said ( or confirmed ) ;

" the unit powers up upon connection of it's AC cable to a live AC source " .

Bo came closest ( perhaps 1audiohack ) to providing the needed reassurance that the official documentation must be wrong :eek:( likely due to a "cut & paste" error brought forward from the previous manual ) .

:p:)