PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4350B rebuild/restoration question

R-Carpenter
05-09-2010, 06:23 AM
Hi Guys and Gals. First time posting on this forum.
I am rebuilding/restoring a pair of 4350B JBL for a client.
He wants to veneer case work in Ebony Macasar and possibly the front as well (may be in fiddle back maple) No question, they will look fantastic after I am done, but in this case whats the "Heritage" point of view? Would it be looked at as a nice work but the owner made mistake of not restoring the loudspeaker to the original state with Walnut veneer and blue front baffle?
Pleas advise folks, this is my first time in the antique JBL country.:)

BMWCCA
05-09-2010, 06:41 AM
I'm guessing some might call it a sacrilege to do custom work to a rare and desirable vintage JBL pro monitor. Those same folks would likely praise the same custom work if it were used in creating a new clone of the original. :dont-know:

It's really up to the owner who will, hopefully and ultimately, use the finished product to enjoy the sound of music. And that's really what it's all about, right?

hjames
05-09-2010, 07:49 AM
If the intent is to maintain collector's value, then it needs to be refreshed with stock looks, as that is what most collectors favor. But many times, its hard finding just the right collector to get maximum return on your investment.

If its meant to be just enjoyed, maintain the stock parts and use the veneer and finishes that work for you.

Really big speakers like 4350Bs are personal statements anyway - there is NOT a hot mob of fans chasing after them - their sale its very much dependent on the market at a given moment.

ED: Just added the link to these 4435s that Dan redid a while back -
with the economy sliding, they didn't bring nearly the money he put into them, but - they sure looked nice in the pix!

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=37949&stc=1&d=1236969937

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?24365-JBL-4435-Studio-Monitors-Wytheville-Va

teddsterr
05-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Do know the client, speakers are utility gray version. Certainly a huge upgrade finished in 2-tone ebony macasar and maple...if done right! Veneer guy comes highly recommended. Heard this man also builds speakers from scratch, so that's a huge advantage (having the knowledge and physics). Bottomline....... As long as the crossovers, components, inside packing and wiring is all original, i see this to be a wonderful restoration and upgrade. The value will only exceed. Would love to see the progress pictures:)

R-Carpenter
05-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Pictures are posted on this forum.
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=217646
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/166569-jbl-4350b-rebuild-restoration.html
Curious to collect opinions of other tech people.
I am researching technical aspects of this design while doing prep work.Very curious to listen to this monsters after they are done as well as taking a FR, waterfall and distortion with and without crossover of each driver and system all together. Off axis response will be a pita to measure, speaker is to big to be placed on my stand. :)

R-Carpenter
05-15-2010, 08:29 PM
bit more work done. Pics on PE forum.;)

R-Carpenter
07-19-2010, 07:14 PM
work continues. All sandwiched skins are ready. Backer mahogany veneer is cross grain laminated. Next step is to map out screw holes and make 2 more skins for front baffles.

R-Carpenter
07-19-2010, 07:17 PM
older pictures of the veneer before and while process.

R-Carpenter
07-24-2010, 06:38 PM
starting to look good

R-Carpenter
07-26-2010, 06:27 PM
faces are ready to go

CountD
07-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Simply amazing work...I do believe you improved them, if not made them more desirable. Can't wait to see them when they are finished.

R-Carpenter
07-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks!
Here's some more pictures.
Screws are traced on vellum paper. Skin is cut to size and glued in.

louped garouv
07-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks!
Here's some more pictures.

certainly an upgrade in finish, in my opinion.

:applaud:

dkalsi
07-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Wow!! - unbelievable workmanship!

Please continue posting pictures.

Tim Rinkerman
07-29-2010, 09:11 AM
If you were going to go that far with them, you should have left the un-used tweeter and horn holes covered...just my opinion...

ooops! I better duck.....

R-Carpenter
07-29-2010, 09:10 PM
If you were going to go that far with them, you should have left the un-used tweeter and horn holes covered...just my opinion...

ooops! I better duck.....

I am just going with what the owner wants.:) If it was up to me, I'd replace fiberglass with Owens Corning, brace the woofer section, fully test and adjust.
Second speaker is done as well btw, all what's left are the edges and finishing. :bouncy:

JeffW
07-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Are you going to veneer the covers for the unused holes, ot paint them black?

R-Carpenter
07-29-2010, 09:33 PM
Are you going to veneer the covers for the unused holes, ot paint them black?

Paint them black. Enough veneer already...

R-Carpenter
08-03-2010, 06:43 PM
edging is been glued on

R-Carpenter
08-30-2010, 08:10 PM
finishing started. Build up is done with "Piano Lacquer" by Mohawk Finishes. Basically it's a very high quality nitrocellulose lacquer. Build up is done with Gloss. Total of about 15 coats will be applied within 2 weeks.

louped garouv
09-02-2010, 11:40 AM
absolutely stunning!

grumpy
09-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Beautiful woodworking... but

I can't stop picturing leopard-print wallpaper behind those. Tell me it's not true.

teddsterr
09-03-2010, 06:45 AM
Your absolutely right! I think we should fem them up a bit! Add some hippie long hair and black shades.....that would really tone them down! :d

teddsterr
09-03-2010, 06:57 AM
No but seriously.... Going in a very simple plain room with only amps blue meters sharing the stage.:d thanks

grumpy
09-03-2010, 06:58 AM
:rotfl:

Yes, I could see where they could look very nice in the right environment...
I just had to get that out of my system. They really are quite amazing
(and that's without any drivers in them yet! :))

R-Carpenter
09-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Macasara Ebony is a pretty typical 1930th French Deco veneer. Dufréne, Leleu and Ruhlmann, all used Macasara. Granted, the shape of the loudspeaker is a bit boxy but hey, it is what it is, we can't change the shape. It's a busy look but in real life, contrast and depth of veneer is amazing. Not your "Italian Ebony" which is really stained and processed poplar. Uniformity of the drivers will offset contrasty background and make it look complete.
Pictures will come soon.

R-Carpenter
09-13-2010, 09:11 PM
finishing is done. Made new bases in white oak, satin black lacquer finish.

R-Carpenter
10-02-2010, 07:28 PM
took about 7 hours to put the speaker back together.
Listened to just one speaker for an hour or so. I'd say it's one of the best loudspeakers that I've heard. Surprise, surprise. Uncompressed, clear natural sounding. Can play as loud as one can stand and yet clear as a tear drop of a virgin in a the hour of a sunrise. Will put together the second speaker next week and give it a good listen as a pair.

Triumph Don
10-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Well It's in the eye of the beholder. Looks like nasty bad trip disco to me.

richluvsound
10-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Well It's in the eye of the beholder. Looks like nasty bad trip disco to me.

Just needs a leopard skin rug , gold grill cloth , faux chandelier and lots of gold fittings !:dont-know:

Rich

R-Carpenter
10-02-2010, 11:09 PM
yep. that's exactly how ebony macasara looks, like a bad disco trip. every a-hole has an opinion this days. I am done on this forum.

Triumph Don
10-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Well this a hole is so sorry for providing his opinion [not]. Be a man of your word, and go away. We will be watching.

richluvsound
10-03-2010, 02:25 AM
yep. that's exactly how ebony macasara looks, like a bad disco trip. every a-hole has an opinion this days. I am done on this forum.

I was just warming up ..... I hope Elton likes his speakers ..... BTW, the first rule of good design " LESS IS MORE "

Its all Grumpy's fault .. he started it :dont-know:

Rich

macaroonie
10-03-2010, 03:48 AM
I don't know about Elton Rich but its a fair bet the speakers are for an ENGLISH client

Lovely work mind you , just a bit ott for my taste , but it takes all sorts.

richluvsound
10-03-2010, 05:34 AM
Mac,

the guy is a pretty good craftsman ....
I remember buying some Santos Rosewood for Guido's speakers .... When I laid it out on the side by side .....:barf:

He would have killed me ! It was stunning , but for a box that large its too much ... It not about taste , its about the lack of it !

Its for accents really ,or small cabinets .

Rich

hjames
10-03-2010, 05:47 AM
Well, I remember when Dan in Wytheville redid his 4435s and veneered more surfaces than the purist members would have cared for ...
I thought they looked great, but as I recall, when he unexpectedly had to sell them, it took forever and he didn't get a lot.
I never saw (or heard) them in person, so I'm not sure if it was the bad economy at the time, the non-standard finish,
the quality of his work, something with the sound, or what ... but it was sad what they sold for ...

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=37949&stc=1&d=1236969937

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?24365-JBL-4435-Studio-Monitors-Wytheville-Va

richluvsound
10-03-2010, 06:05 AM
Hi Heather ,

Dan was a long standing member that revamped his speakers for his own use and taste . If I remember correctly he had to sell out need. I hope he is well where ever he is :)

This guy is a pro working on a commission for a client , a client I might add , that has specified the veneer and the amount there of .
The criticism was of the veneer ,not of the fella's high skill level .
Rich

BMWCCA
10-03-2010, 06:10 AM
I don't get it.

The OP told us from the start it wasn't his choice of veneer, but that he was doing it for a customer at their request. No one criticized the craftsmanship which, from what we can tell, is excellent. So I don't get the resentment to the aesthetic critique that resulted in his taking his ball and going home. :dont-know:

I'm thinking, when they show up on Ebay, maybe a black stain over them might yield a bit more subtle grain. Maybe Seawolf could use some more black-ash boxes the size of a bathroom in his house? ;)

macaroonie
10-03-2010, 06:22 AM
Thats just about almost exactly in essence what I was going to say.

R Carpenter was only following orders and did a very tasty job. We cannot fault him for that at all. The rest is about personal taste. I for one find that an awful lot of the population have dreadful taste.
For example here are some breeks that cut quite a dash what. Now that is good taste. Yah

I'm sure you get my drift old boy. PS Heather likes that kind of thing , she goes to Highland shows and lurks near the Tweed outfitters stall :)

richluvsound
10-03-2010, 06:35 AM
you've been in my closet !:blink:

teddsterr
10-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Hi boys! It's me the proud owner of these stunning speakers (not 4saaaale)...i might say i've given you guys something to talk about between your bathroom visits (if you know what i mean). Let's start with this thread, i thought, what a wonderful idea to get fellow jbl lansing guys help in every aspect, especially parts. It would be a tragedy to turn it into a jail like experience...meaning, a new fellow goes to jail and the senior bitches can't wait for the right time to attack. Instead, you should all welcome new members, take and give, don't trash and attack. Your opinion might then be considered. Don't form clicks, diversify yourself and make new friends...you can only benfit from this. Next, the decision i made between rick (kenrick) and r carpender was purely for location ease. Rick is a master craftman and his knowledge on the 43xx series stuff is unsurpassed. Rick has too much on his plate these day's and waiting was not an option. Hopefully, rick will do my stands. R carpender, the gentleman that did the work on my speakers is nothing short than a master craftman. What he did for me is detailed stunning work that will last a long time. He did exactly what i asked and again, thank you so much. By the way he's gotten work from this job and it's great that people do notice. Last, i love these speakers ....i truly love this high-end modern armani casa look. This is what's happening in today's times and i truly am so happy. These babies are going in a high-end modern constructed enviromentally green home and they fit perfect. We cannot attack fellow american's for having his own taste and dreams, it's what this wonderful country is made of. My family has paid dearly (twice) fighting for you to enjoy your jbl's.

BMWCCA
10-03-2010, 10:24 AM
My family has paid dearly (twice) fighting for you to enjoy your jbl's.

And mine for yours. So what does that have to do with your choice of veneer or the thin skin of your crafts-person? :blink:

Had you simply spoken for yourself you know you'd not have received the outpouring of frank aesthetic opinions that seem to bother not only your tool-smith, but you as well. It could have saved you from your sanctimonious reply. I see that you've gotten friendly help and suggestions here before. Why the preachiness now? :dont-know:

I hope you enjoy your re-furbed JBLs for many years. They are certainly a treasure, before, and now.

:)

hjames
10-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Bold choices like that are always polarizing - doesn't matter if its a extreme color for a classic car,
or a dramatic wood finish on vintage speakers. There's always some folks who'll lift their noses ...

What do you care if everyone approves or not -
its your choice for your house, and you'll be the one to live with your styles.

I didn't care for the look, but its not my speakers.
... I say this a lot here - ultimately, it comes down to what YOU like ... :D

richluvsound
10-03-2010, 10:34 AM
No-one has questioned the quality of R's work, on the contrary Sir .... Just the poor choice of veneers . An aesthetic disaster .... pure Bling . As a professional designer and artist one thing I have had to understand is that to put something in to the public domain is to make it the domains property , read Roland Barthes , " Death of the Author " and by doing so , I invite opinion both for and against my work. ... How ridiculous would it be for me to exhibit a piece of work and to then censor all opinions that opposed my own .... How about freedom of speech ? I believe your ancestors paid for that also

The veneer is your taste , thats fine , but don't expect others to like it . They are your speakers , and a fine pair of speakers they are too . Perhaps, in a room equally as loud , with some grills on they might work .
You said in your post that you sought advice , perhaps you did . I don't think you sought an opinion on the choice of veneers .... You made a decision on your own without seeking advice .... Anyone can make a decision ,but it takes a man to live with the consequences.

Btw , there are some here that like the way they look , some don't .

This is a great forum , if you come here for an opinion don't be upset if its not always what you want to hear .

Basically , you put the project here for an opinion ,but it wasn't the one you wanted ... Tough !

kind regards ,Rich the bitch

Robh3606
10-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Please keep this civil.

Rob:)

macaroonie
10-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Just the poor choice of veneers . An aesthetic disaster .... pure Bling .

Rich you are a bad man , you really must learn to say these three words ' IN MY OPINION '

Well done there Tedd for speaking up for yourself and yes indeed it is entirely your choice what you do with your speakers. The quality of the speakers themselves is not in question here , all but a few would yearn for such a pair of monitors.
In my opinion where this got off the rails is where your craftsman , having lavished a considerable amount of care and effort , perceived that what were mostly aesthetic opinions were slights directed at him. Not from this quarter I can assure you however I do have a comment to make, if you will, regarding the overall look of the project.
Regardless of the veneer used it is worth bearing in mind that these were rescue cabinets so there alone is a validation . The problem to my eye is that if one tries to beautify what is a utilitarian box then some of the effort is wasted simply because it is still a utilitarian box.
Sort of like you can paint a donkey with black and white stripes but that does not make it a zebra.
My own view is for what it is worth is that the baffle is too busy altogether and the veneer detracts somewhat from the aesthetics of the drivers.
I do hope that you will grace us with some pics once these are in situ , show us bottom feeders what you had in mind.
In the final event if you are pleased that is all that matters.

Mac

BMWCCA
10-03-2010, 04:01 PM
I've never been much of a fashion maven so maybe we're just out of touch with modern design? ;)

macaroonie
10-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Is that a Zebra ?

richluvsound
10-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Is that a Zebra ?

No its disgusting , though . Someone killed a tree and did that to it ....

Rich:D

teddsterr
10-04-2010, 06:50 PM
:banghead:MY GRANDMOTHER ONCE TOLD ME " IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY THEN DON'T SAY IT AT ALL"

richluvsound
10-04-2010, 07:16 PM
............." best take the piss out yourself and beat the others to it ! "

C'mon Teddster .... we all have ideas some of them work ,some them don't .... its just my opinion. The baffles detract from the beauty of the components ...

BTW, the last thing posted looks like a drag queens purse ! IMHO .

Rich ;)

Robh3606
10-04-2010, 07:33 PM
MY GRANDMOTHER ONCE TOLD ME " IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY THEN DON'T SAY IT AT ALL"

Well unfortunately that only works sometimes under the best of circumstances like a face to face chat. On the Internet??? If you ask what people think it all won't be wine and roses. Especially in a situation like this. You have to take the good with the bad or in this case those that don't like what they see have as much right to express their opinions as those that do. The only issue becomes how tactfully it was said and how well the poster can take some "negative" criticism.

JeffW
10-04-2010, 08:08 PM
For crying out loud. Some people like Claude Monet, some like Vincent Van Gogh, and some like Jackson Pollack, neither is more correct than the other.

These will sound as good as the more conventional looking examples.

Reminds me of what I posted in another thread (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29012-Enough-Already) (started by Rob, concerning the negativity infusing this place):

People are building stuff, it's just that you'd have to be insane to post any details of it here lest you be set upon by the odiferous sour-puss cronies. ;)

Some things never change, I reckon.

1audiohack
10-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Some things never change, I reckon.[/QUOTE]

"Ohhh I'm sorry, its being hit on the head lessons in here!"

Altec Best
10-05-2010, 01:45 AM
For crying out loud. Some people like Claude Monet, some like Vincent Van Gogh, and some like Jackson Pollack, neither is more correct than the other.

These will sound as good as the more conventional looking examples.

Reminds me of what I posted in another thread (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29012-Enough-Already) (started by Rob, concerning the negativity infusing this place):

Some things never change, I reckon.

Thanks Jeff W

I read a post recently here where it was said that this forum is getting boring !! :yes:

Due to the fact that Nobody is doing projects here anymore.People are doing projects I'm doing one myself, it is just that nobody wants to post them because of the Peanut Gallery it was said, which I agree with.So in the long run who loses,I think we all do.As we won't learn new tips,tricks,ideas,etc... And just good reading period.That's the sad part IMHO.:crying:

Opinions are like, you know, Everybody's got one !!

@ R-Carpenter I don't think anyone was talking about you or your work because man you do some Beautiful work !! :yes: I can appreciate the kind of time and effort that you put into that project.I don't think some people have any idea how much work it really is.And I would personally love to see some more of it. Most Definitely !

@Teddsterr Your speakers are gorgeous.But I personally like to keep my stuff all original that is just my preference.But you do what makes you happy period.Don't worry about other peoples opinions there not yours so they "DON'T COUNT" !! You have some Beautiful vintage monitors there.There isn't one person on this forum that wouldn't love to own them.The beauty about veneer is it is only skin deep.And if you ever want to change them you have a very capable craftsman at your service R-Carpenter, Best Wishes and Rock-on :rockon2: Peace !

richluvsound
10-05-2010, 02:24 AM
.... is the most unkind of all .... BTW , there are few here very well versed in the practice !

Look..... I'm very sorry if MY opinion has caused offence . However , I do have an educated and practiced opinion - design is my career, not just a hobby .

I'm as proud of my learning and my eye , as you are of you speakers. We are both right and we are both wrong .

I guess I could have been a little more sensitive in the way I expressed myself , but my immediate response was one of humour .

BtW Jeff, as the most vocal ,I can only assume your refer to me in suggesting comments made are motivated by jealousy . I won't dignify the comment with a wordy response , suffice it to say BOLLOCKS mate ....

Where in the forum rules does it state this is a mutual admiration society ? or that having an opinion contrary to others make one an " odiferous sour puss" ?

Anyway, I have company coming to stay for a few days so I best get on with cleaning and stuff .

Again , Teddster sorry for any offence ,

Rich.

Robh3606
10-05-2010, 03:58 AM
So let me get this straight. One person mentions they don't like the appearance and this thread turns to crap?? What ever happened to respecting another's opinion even if you don't agree?? No one can take any criticism anymore?? None of you guys will post a project because you are not guaranteed a cheer leading session with no comments critical of what you are doing?? Did it ever occur to you that critical comments are how you learn in many cases?? Most critical comments are not done just to be critical but to help people with less experience from making a mistake or seeing issues others may not have seen. When I post my projects I hope the guys reading them are honest and give me real meaningful feedback both positive and negative. We all make mistakes, I know I have, and sometimes it takes another person to point it out.

Jeez this place really is dead. Attitude is what did it and continuing along the same path will keep it that way. Get off the soap boxes take a breather and start fresh.

richluvsound
10-05-2010, 05:27 AM
Hi Rob,

with most of what you have said, I agree ...... I cant agree , however that the thread has turned to crap.
I feel some very important issues have been raised concerning the ethos of the forum ....

When I first joined this place was a power house of debate , knowledge, learning and above all fun .
I felt, and still do , a certain reverence in the company of members , such as , Guido , Ian , Widget , Yourself , 4313b, Grumpy , Edgewound , John W, Bo ,Heather,Woody, Saeman,HP, ...the list can go on .....

I realised that this was the real deal , where ideas could be challenged ,informed ,corrected or confirmed . I tried to make sure my questions were considered so as not to waste anyones time .
Sometimes I got my leg pulled ,sometimes I was ignored for asking such a stupid question and sometimes my input was valid, helpful and praised ( the latter always worth the pain of the former )

This is not a forum of the elite , it is however a place where all of us are at different levels of understanding on the subject . We all have a role to play , we all bring different expertise with us .

Respect is earned through hard work ,commitment and the general understanding that nothing should be taken to heart as being a personal attack and that a fellow member could give opinions without fear of personal attack .

I personally, would welcome back the hard edge and strident atmosphere of the forum . I find it a great place to learn ,although not so much in the resent past .

Anyway , I have a care package from the forum to attend to.

Do I need to give a disclaimer about this being my opinion ? I think not , an adult would take that as a given ....

Rich

grumpy
10-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Sigh.

I stand behind everything I said in this thread ... posts #22 and 25.
I thought my comments were taken well, and with a similar level of "humor"...
mine can be a bit dry... think I'll go get some water.

"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing..." -dead Greek dude.

Robh3606
10-05-2010, 07:47 AM
I cant agree , however that the thread has turned to crap.
I feel some very important issues have been raised concerning the ethos of the forum ....

Fair enough. Lets keep it constuctive and talk those issues out.

When I first joined this place was a power house of debate , knowledge, learning and above all fun .

Yes it was and it still has the potential to be so.

This is not a forum of the elite , it is however a place where all of us are at different levels of understanding on the subject . We all have a role to play , we all bring different expertise with us .

That's the hole point of having these forums in the first place.

Do I need to give a disclaimer about this being my opinion ?

I don't know is this "5 minutes or the full half hour??"

I personally, would welcome back the hard edge and strident atmosphere of the forum .

Well that all works provided that the critiques don't get personal and the OP understands it's not personal. We all need to be a little less sensitive and slower to jump on new members. This Forum has a tough reputation as a no nonsense place to post. That is both good and bad as it scares off people. It's also has a reputation for being a rude forum. That really sucks and we all have ourselves to blame for that. There is no reason it can't be fun we all need to be a bit more tolerant and respectful across the board.

SEAWOLF97
10-05-2010, 08:28 AM
I'm thinking, when they show up on Ebay, maybe a black stain over them might yield a bit more subtle grain. Maybe Seawolf could use some more black-ash boxes the size of a bathroom in his house? ;)

Perhaps, in a room equally as loud , with some grills on they might work

Hey...even L7's can be fixed with the right grill cloth...:blink:

SEAWOLF97
10-05-2010, 08:53 AM
On the Internet??? If you ask what people think it all won't be wine and roses. Especially in a situation like this. You have to take the good with the bad or in this case those that don't like what they see have as much right to express their opinions as those that do.

"Don't ask me what I think of you (or your speakers) ...I might not give the answer that you want me to.."

-Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac (Oh Well)

richluvsound
10-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Rob Sir,

I'll have the 5 min please !

As I stated , I could have been more sensitive in my wording ... I will try to be kinda in future ... Baliff ...... Wack his peepee !

Now lets get back to building speakers ..... Fugly or not !

Little shit Rich in London

BTW , dont think for a moment I hide behind a cpu or a phone , Whatever I say on here I would say to the persons face.... although I might be more caring if I knew the person to overly sensitive .

Altec Best
10-05-2010, 12:13 PM
@ R-Carpenter I may have some work for you.I'm steering a few friends your way.But shipping will be a must (Packing & Crating) Frieght.Please PM me, will correspond through email. ;)

BMWCCA
10-05-2010, 04:57 PM
I felt, and still do , a certain reverence in the company of members , such as , Guido , Ian , Widget , Yourself , 4313b, Grumpy , Edgewound , John W, Bo ,Heather,Woody, Saeman,HP, ...the list can go on .....I'm a bit of a newbie here, too, in that context, but my understanding is none of this behavior is new here. There are other names no longer with us because the dynamic caused by their participation ruffled feathers years ago. I have no direct knowledge of this but Google tells me about "Gonzo" (the originator of what we currently refer to as "Zilch cloth") and "NoRealTalent". Both no longer play in this sandbox, for whatever reason though it would appear they took on projects and discussed them openly and honestly here, for a while.

I'm not knocking this group or its behavior. It's really just an Internet dynamic. I can't see you smile when you write and you can't see me laugh at you when I'm replying. That's one of the costs of electronic communication. When we get together in person we all get along. Maybe everyone needs a little more tolerance, on both the sending and receiving end of the communication here. :dont-know:

hjames
10-05-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm not knocking this group or its behavior. It's really just an Internet dynamic. I can't see you smile when you write and you can't see me laugh at you when I'm replying. That's one of the costs of electronic communication. When we get together in person we all get along. Maybe everyone needs a little more tolerance, on both the sending and receiving end of the communication here. :dont-know:

Yah - what Phil said!
:bouncy:
Come to DC and we can drink beer, grill meats, play with speakers, and have a good time! Big fun for all, many laughs, no pain!!!

Triumph Don
10-05-2010, 06:49 PM
With all the warm fuzzies can't we all just get along I'm done with this forum I really just don't like the wood.

JeffW
10-05-2010, 08:49 PM
It's also has a reputation for being a rude forum. That really sucks and we all have ourselves to blame for that.

Yep, I have an opinion about the guy's speakers. I also have the ability to not touch the keys on my keyboard.

I'd love to see some of the posters here looking at baby pictures, "My god that's an ugly baby! Did you mate with a baboon?" "Your baby MUST be adopted, it's too ugly to have parents that survived!".

Sometimes a little tact can go a long ways. Well, at least some places on the internet.

Ron White: "I had the right to remain silent. But I didn't have the ability"

richluvsound
10-05-2010, 10:03 PM
I see now .......

but the fact is :banghead: What started out as a bit of fun has got out of hand .... and the pious ( after the fact, that is ) step in to wave the finger .

The wood was not liked by some , and things were said about the WOOD . The person who chose the wood then cried when his choice was not universally adored and turned it into an attack on his person.In doing so called to others to come and admonish the critics, not as critics ,but as unkind and evil .
An analogy for you ,
a little boy runs as fast as he can, not because he needs to, but because he has the attention of a group of boys and girls . He slips and cuts his knee , blood , torn skin and overly dramatic screaming attract a do good stranger who comes to attends the child's wounds . The child is immediately cured and stops attention seeking .....

Bottom line is , I will not be bullied or manipulated, let alone shamed, for expressing an opinion ,nor will I sit and watch and it happen to others .

And I would not , and have not ran away and let another argue my side .

Todays word, boys and girls " Subjectivity " its what makes the world go round .

Rich

Altec Best
10-06-2010, 05:51 AM
@ R-Carpenter I may have some work for you.I'm steering a few friends your way.But shipping will be a must (Packing & Crating) Frieght.Please PM me, will correspond through email. ;)

@ R-Carpenter Thank You for your Kind Words in your PM ;) Kind Regards ~ AB

tomee
11-01-2010, 09:06 AM
I like how they look! I'm not joking - I can imagine these in a very large modern top level loft apartment in NYC with exposed brick walls and rough hardwood floors, with big windows. Maybe there's a bar with matching veneer on the counters? With grills on you'd hardly notice the veneer, and then when you want to show them off - BLAM - matching veneer on the fronts where most would expect black or blue paint! I can only imagine how they sound.

However, they would look terrible in my house - the rooms are too small and we have oak everywhere - floors, railings, trim, even some of the furniture. They'd stand out like a sore thumb whether in this veneer or all original walnut with blue cloth grills. Context is important, and we only saw the workshop context where they were being built. I'm really glad I got a glimpse of how a real master does his work and I hope that he returns to posting descriptions and pictures of some of his work!

Vintage Spk
11-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Like modern furniture...it took some thinking to appreciate the designer's intention.

But since I have neither the space nor $$$ for the 4350's...I would like to modernize my
L222 or L88's veneer work likewise to match modern deco.