PDA

View Full Version : Polishing TT dustcovers

SEAWOLF97
05-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Have a nice TT with a rather scratchy dustcover...Had read somewhere about being able to polish them out to a "near new" look....Anybody try that yet ?? Directions ? caveats ? etc..?

its in good shape otherwise..no cracks or large scratches.

Uncle Paul
05-02-2010, 05:47 PM
I did it once back in the 80's with polish designed specifically for TT dust covers. I don't remember the name of the product, but I'd be surprised if it's still out there.

It did work but took forever to polish everything out and make everything blend just right.

Probably one of the automotive plastic headlight kits would do the trick. If badly scratched, maybe start with 1,000 grit wet, then 2,000, then polish?

brad347
05-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Look for NOVUS plastic polish. It's a 3-stage system, with "3" being the coarsest, "2" being fine, and "1" barely doing anything at all.

I say purchase a small bottle of #3 (which will be used only on really rough, scratched areas), and a large bottle of #2 (which will remove general dullness/haze and fine scratches/swirls) and you will be able to do several dust covers. Skip on the "1," which is a milky/watery liquid that barely seems to do anything at all.

The stuff is great. I got into it to polish old plastic drum wrap finishes, but I've done a few dust covers with it, shined up an old Farfisa combo organ-- I even fixed a Netflix DVD which was unplayable (although it specifically says it's not recommended for that) and got it to the point that it would play on my player without error.

You can find it from an internet search. It's really great stuff. It requires a fair amount of elbow grease-- #3 can really get out some tough scratches if you press firmly and rub vigorously to create enough friction to actually get the plastic warm.

BMWCCA
05-02-2010, 07:38 PM
I believe the Novus product is essentially re-packaged Meguiar's plastic cleaner and polish (#10 and #19) which may be available at your local auto parts store, or automotive body and paint supply shop——especially if you're on the west coast. I've used it for years on everything from convertible rear windows to motorcycle windshields. Works pretty well.

Ducatista47
05-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Meguiar's worked very well for me twenty years ago. One takes the scratches out and the polish buffs it to glass status. I refurbished my motorcycle face shields with it.

Clark

Mr. Widget
05-03-2010, 01:22 PM
If you have the patience using Novus you can make the dust cover look absolutely perfect. If you have fairly visible scratches as opposed to a haze, you may need to wet sand first with 600 then 1000 grit paper.

Brad's recommendations are spot on. I haven't used those Meguiar's products, but other Meguiar's products are pretty good, so they may also do the trick.

Oh, for a polishing cloth I always use 100% cotton T shirts.

Widget

SEAWOLF97
05-27-2010, 10:40 AM
wondering how this might work on TT dustcovers ??

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-minute-headlamp-lens-restorer-kit-65938.html?utm_source=prospects&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2210B

Tim Rinkerman
05-27-2010, 11:45 AM
I have had outstanding results with rottenstone powder, and a buffing wheel. Rottenstone is the last polishing step before waxing when you do a really nice glossy lacquer finish.

scott fitlin
05-27-2010, 07:31 PM
If you have the patience using Novus you can make the dust cover look absolutely perfect. If you have fairly visible scratches as opposed to a haze, you may need to wet sand first with 600 then 1000 grit paper.

Brad's recommendations are spot on. I haven't used those Meguiar's products, but other Meguiar's products are pretty good, so they may also do the trick.

Oh, for a polishing cloth I always use 100% cotton T shirts.

WidgetWe use NOVUS plastic cleaner and scratch remover on our plastic ARCADE GAME TOPS and our plastic lighting lenses and covers, the stuff REALLY works.