PDA

View Full Version : LE 5-X in Parallel

tinnitus
04-22-2010, 10:22 AM
There are well documented projects and crossovers for the LE 5 series drivers but has anyone ever tried or know how to mod a crossover for LE 5s in parallel? Tweak 3113B (or L-150A-B) network for dual LE 5s.

Gary

grumpy
04-22-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure that there's a problem to be solved by doing so
(and can think of several reasons -not- to do so).

It does seem like there was an older line-array product that used
multiple LE-5's, but they were probably run full-out (possibly high-passed)
(slant lenses in front?) and I might be completely incorrect about this. :o:

What are you trying to accomplish? MTM or more specifically a D'Apollito
configuration? Center channel?

tinnitus
04-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Dual drivers in a tractrix horn - quasi Array series mid horn. I see a ton of L100 and L100T parts. Partial design is to mount my L150 drivers in a V shaped baffle similar to the Everest II.

I'll try to draw something, scan it and get it posted.

grumpy
04-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Ah. Maybe dig out Bruce Edgar's SpeakerBuilder LE5-2/Tractrix horn article for some
guidelines.

tinnitus
05-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Well even if it's an exercise in futility it's a learning opportunity. Horn flares cut. Throat taking shape. Decided to try and make a tiny tweeter horn and mount on top similar to a SAM1HF. 80 cubic inch LE5 chambers next.

More to follow as building progresses.

tinnitus
05-01-2010, 06:16 PM
I stole an hour and shaped the octagons.

tinnitus
05-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Progress through the weekend. Done for now.

tinnitus
05-04-2010, 10:26 AM
The tractrix horn flare is cut for the dual LE5. I also cut a 1 inch throat x 1200 Hz cutoff tweeter tractrix flare. I was thinking of adding a 2407 on top but am now wondering about the 053Ti tweeter in the LSR series. Other tweeter nominees?

Both the dual LE5 horn and the 053 horn are DIY recycle driver proof-of-concept test beds.

I'll post updated pics of the horns soon. Would also like advise on horn placemenet for best (better?) freq dispersion. Horizontal or vertical.

tinnitus
05-04-2010, 07:20 PM
This mockup brought to you by double sided tape. The sides will be cut down and most likely curved. The throat adapter with drivers mounts vertically behind the horn. The second pic is of the tweeter horn. It appeared to get washed out by the flash.

Joe Alesi
07-22-2010, 06:58 PM
This mockup brought to you by double sided tape. The sides will be cut down and most likely curved. The throat adapter with drivers mounts vertically behind the horn. The second pic is of the tweeter horn. It appeared to get washed out by the flash.

Hello T,

I hope it's all going well. I would be curious for an update on your project if you have had time.

Best
JA