PDA

View Full Version : Powered sub recommendations

midlife
04-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Looking for a good bang for the buck (not expensive) powered sub. L&R line level rca ins, adj low filters, volume control...and do I need phase shift, it will be part of a 2 channel 4 spkr plus sub "ht" and stereo audio system. thanks :applaud:

Mr. Widget
04-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Define not expensive.

Widget

grumpy
04-22-2010, 09:49 AM
indeed, even Hsu has a wide range of products, performance and price-wise.

midlife
04-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Define not expensive.

Widget
$350ish used

jcrobso
04-22-2010, 10:56 AM
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=jbl+powered+subwoofer&oe=utf-8&rls=com.yahoo:en-US:official&client=firefox&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7625940506354125335&ei=jo3QS-_TB4Oy9QTbqvkz&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CD8Q8wIwAw#ps-sellers

grumpy
04-22-2010, 12:31 PM
be extra careful buying a used powered sub... sort of like buying a used race car.

Mr. Widget
04-22-2010, 12:41 PM
be extra careful buying a used powered sub... sort of like buying a used race car.That's a good point... we've heard about these issues with some of the JBLs and my Velodyne lost it's amp twice while still under warranty.

Widget

midlife
04-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Doin' a little sub research and I came across a model that has two ten inch drivers but it's neither ported or having a passive radiator. Wouldn't this stiffle cone movement hench performance. Pros vs. cons of sealed or vented? Looking for a sub that is willing to be musical as well as dig down for movie sound.

JBL 4645
04-23-2010, 11:29 AM
indeed, even Hsu has a wide range of products, performance and price-wise.

So now grumpy is playing “the dude” http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/image.php?u=410&dateline=1271950512 LOL :cool: avatar.

Doin' a little sub research and I came across a model that has two ten inch drivers but it's neither ported or having a passive radiator. Wouldn't this stiffle cone movement hench performance. Pros vs. cons of sealed or vented? Looking for a sub that is willing to be musical as well as dig down for movie sound.

Hmm, anyone of my subs can be stuffed up at the port that reduces the lows at certain frequencies.

The cinemas and most PA for live performances have, vented subs that has satisfactory impact.

Music/Movies, do most of the new modern AVR/AVP today, have the means of, say, switching to CD for music mode with user EQ control to tailor the subs frequency response for music and one for movies?

If I wanted to have the music EQ I’d get separate PEQ and run the separate CD player on one of the extra modes on the AVR/AVP and tailor the PEQ, but, it’s never bothered me.

Say if a Hi-Fi shop isn’t interested in letting you try one out at home or in room that is roughly the same volume as yours then give a few a listen and make sure they don’t rush the set-up from one sub to the next just so they can make a quick sale and get you out of the way. If you know what I mean!