PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me why............

lansingfan
04-19-2010, 12:38 PM
AR drivers are soooo dog ugly?:eek:

Tom Brennan
04-19-2010, 01:05 PM
AR drivers are soooo dog ugly?:eek:

It's a Yankee thing; just make it work. Who cares what a fuel pump looks like?

Are those AR-4s? I recently heard some old AR-4s and was surprised at how good they sounded; good clarity and tonal balance and very strong bass for such a small box. I was sorely tempted to get a pair to replace the mighty KRKs in my den. They were much better than last pair of AR-3s I'd heard.

lansingfan
04-19-2010, 02:03 PM
It's a Yankee thing; just make it work. Who cares what a fuel pump looks like?

Are those AR-4s? I recently heard some old AR-4s and was surprised at how good they sounded; good clarity and tonal balance and very strong bass for such a small box. I was sorely tempted to get a pair to replace the mighty KRKs in my den. They were much better than last pair of AR-3s I'd heard.

But, they all look the same anyway.:p Just seems like someone with a flair for the surreal putting their inner soul on the baffle and collateral drivers ala André Masson.:D

lansingfan
04-19-2010, 02:11 PM
But, they all look the same anyway.:p Just seems like someone with a flair for the surreal putting their inner soul on the baffle and collateral drivers ala André Masson.:D

I stand corrected. These are much nicer.;)

Ed Kreamer
04-19-2010, 02:39 PM
I worked for a couple of retailers in the 70's who carried AR products. I
had the opportunity to open a some of them up ( the 3a, 2ax, and 10) and was astounded at how cheaply made they were. Someone at JBL
or Altec would have been fired for building such junk

JBL 4645
04-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Who the blazes painted that Picasso? :p Oh, no that is grim.:blink:

It looks like someone is playing Norts and Crosses. with this speaker.

Put O in the centre square.:D

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=45271&stc=1&d=1271705580

Tom Brennan
04-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Someone at JBL
or Altec would have been fired for building such junk

Just what was junky about them? The AR drivers I've seen from that period had no fancy hammertone or stove enamel finishes but I saw nothing junky about them.

Robh3606
04-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Yeah they may not have the finish but the bottom line is what you hear. They may look like hell but with the grill clothes on if you didn't know what was under them I doubt you would care. JBL used that as a selling point against the Advents way back when.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/general/1975-sum.htm

Rob:)

lansingfan
04-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Yeah they may not have the finish but the bottom line is what you hear. They may look like hell but with the grill clothes on if you didn't know what was under them I doubt you would care. JBL used that as a selling point against the Advents way back when.

sound. It just seems odd that they would produce a product that looks like they put the glue on while riding a horse. And many purists like their grilles off. Just asking.

Mr. Widget
04-19-2010, 11:16 PM
It just seems odd that they would produce a product that looks like they put the glue on while riding a horse. And many purists like their grilles off.

I can't remember ever visiting a friend who owned ARs of that vintage that left their grilles off... later when they made the AR11 and AR10∏ their industrial design, acoustic design, and manufacturing were all much better... and I do remember seeing those with their grilles removed.

Widget

pos
04-20-2010, 12:21 AM

last page:

JBL could cut corners for economy and still get 90% of the performance and life of the loudspeakers we now produce. That's not the way we think. We're not building speakers for people who are satisfied with 90%:(

Robh3606
04-20-2010, 07:08 AM
Just asking.

Isn't it obvious?? The cosmetics simply were not important to them at the time.

Ed Kreamer
04-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Perhaps I should elaborate, on my previous statement. I wasn't so much taken aback by the poor finish work, but inside the box the overall poor quality of the workmanship of the cross over, and the use of pots rather than Lpads. Also if I recall the drivers, particularly on the 2ax, were of low quality. Once the grill was on I suppose It didn't matter as the speaker had the New England sound, which was pleasent enough but not
for me. The 10 was different, as I remember sounded quite good. I think we are all here because we liked the First class attitude exhibited by JBL.

lansingfan
04-21-2010, 04:55 AM
Isn't it obvious?? The cosmetics simply were not important to them at the time.

they were in a league of their own. Almost like they were trying to win the most ugly presentation. Wonder if this has ever been discuss among AR owners in the past? Or the company honchos as well? Guess that may be left to the AR Heritage site if there is such a place. I know, nothing to lose sleep over, just seems curious.

pete
04-21-2010, 05:28 AM
drivers meant to be HEARD, not seen.