PDA

View Full Version : LE8 T Horn

richluvsound
04-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Hi People ,

has anyone ever built a horn for this driver ... I would really like an idea where to start ...

tia... Rich

Zilch
04-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Start with Hornresp, maybe.... :)

richluvsound
04-13-2010, 04:07 AM
Hi Zilch ,

i guess that means horn response ... so i need to look at the spec of the driver and decide what I want it to do ... in very basic terms the horn controls the frequency response of the driver ... I would like to keep the range with 45-50 htz to 4-5 khtz a use 075 or 035 to extend hf and something below to get down to 30 htz .

am I on the right track - I can design a horn to do this ?

I'm a complete novice as an EE,but the construction is no problem atall.

thanks ,Rich

Ruediger
04-13-2010, 04:25 AM
See the website of D.B.Keele for a paper about how to calculate a horn's ***theoretical*** performance from the Thiele Small parameters.

The frequency response of the LE8T gets irregular above 1 kHz or so, a horn cannot improve that.

Without a phase plug the horn's ***practical*** frequency response will suffer from destructive interference.

Ruediger

yggdrasil
04-13-2010, 05:37 AM
Zilch refer's to the software found here: http://www.dmcbean.bigblog.com.au/index.do

I haven't actually looked up the LE8 T data, but you need an insane amount of motor to get a meaningful HF response from a cone driver.

Anyway - download the hornresp software and start playing...

richluvsound
04-13-2010, 05:46 AM
So , I guess used like this I have a good mid -range thats it with no real need to take this idea any further.

I would like to thank you for the software heads up though .. that I can study .

Rich